Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you instruct your bank to cancel for DD charges you've already availed of?

• 22-05-2019 5:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

It's something I've always thought about concerning certain contracts involving direct debit. You know those bills that don't generate until after the "cooling off period" has passed. My question is, even if you've already signed for it, wouldn't it mean that you could instruct your bank to cancel any instructions from the company?

An employee recently provided me with incorrect information which means the cooling off period started the moment I spoke to her, when she clearly informed me that the cooling off period wouldn't start until I emailed her a few days later. I since availed of the cooling off period, but I didn't get out scot free as they're going to charge me for a few days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

You can cancel a DD whenever. In fact you can even claw back the money for a certain period of time after they've taken it.

Doesn't mean you still don't owe the money though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 EuKaryMe

You can cancel a DD whenever. In fact you can even claw back the money for a certain period of time after they've taken it.

Thank you

As long as I don't in my mind, then they can come after me for €1.50, but I was damn annoyed that the girl informed me about such incorrectly. Been non contactable for over 24 hours.

I'd happily take them to court if they came after me for it!

In the Direct debit section of my online banking, it says "There are no active direct debits on your registered AIB Banking accounts"

I hope that means what it says!

EuKaryMe wrote: »
    In the Direct debit section of my online banking, it says "There are no active direct debits on your registered AIB Banking accounts"

I hope that means what it says!

Keep an eye on it. They may not have registered it yet. Even if they do take it you can dispute it with your bank and they have to give it back no questions asked. Again this does not mean you don't owe the money.

Keep an eye on it. They may not have registered it yet. Even if they do take it you can dispute it with your bank and they have to give it back no questions asked.
    Yeah, the bank said that other customers were making complaints about eir too. Apparently the direct debit doesn't get set up with me until the actual day that they'll withdraw the money, and that eir use a different registration number each time.. So on that day, I'm going to go into my bank. They said that if they can't stop, that there's always a refund scheme that I can use to get the money back from them.
    Again this does not mean you don't owe the money.
    Will you stop talking down to me. I wouldn't be picking a fight over €1.50 if I thought it was rightfully theirs.

• Advertisement

Even if they do take it you can dispute it with your bank and they have to give it back no questions asked.
    They took it. They took the money on Friday afternoon.

Does that mean I'll have to wait until Monday morning to sort this matter with the bank? And if so, will it be too late by then? I reckon there was a reason they took it just before the weekend. Is there a time limit to when I can get it back? I was doubtful they'd let themselves be at my mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

Does that mean I'll have to wait until Monday morning to sort this matter with the bank? And if so, will it be too late by then? I reckon there was a reason they took it just before the weekend. Is there a time limit to when I can get it back? I was doubtful they'd let themselves be at my mercy.

8 weeks. The bank are obliged to refund it on your instruction.

If you cancelled it in time ask your bank why this was allowed. You will get your money back on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Like when I signed up to electric Ireland 4-5 years ago they wanted either a 200 euro deposit or pay by DD, I took the DD option, let the payment go through on the first bill and then just canceled it :p

I've had bad 2 experiences in the past trying to get my deposit refunded to me in a reasonable amount of time off 2 different company's in the past so I don't want to go down that route if at all avoidable :)

If you cancelled it in time ask your bank why this was allowed. You will get your money back on Monday.
    I didn't cancel it yet. How do you do that?

I visited the bank a few weeks ago, to ask them to block anything from eir. The lady said that they can't until they know the "registration number", and that eir will use many different registration numbers.

• Advertisement

killanena wrote: »
    let the payment go through on the first bill and then just canceled it :p
    Do you have to visit the bank to cancel it? Or do you mean for me to freeze my card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Do you have to visit the bank to cancel it? Or do you mean for me to freeze my card?

Im with AIB, Used the online banking, there is a list of your DD and you can cancel them.

killanena wrote: »
    Im with AIB, Used the online banking, there is a list of your DD and you can cancel them.
    Oh yes, I forgot about that option. I don't think they set it up until the day they're going to charge you.

I checked it and it still says:

"There are no active direct debits on your registered AIB Banking accounts"

It was going to be the final charge anyway, so maybe unregistered me straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

From what you're saying it appears Eir used your Debit Card to take payment and not a Direct Debit. As mentioned above, banks will refund Direct Debits up to 8 weeks after their date and 13 months if it's unauthorised. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to Visa Debit transactions, and you will need to file a dispute with AIBs Visa department. They may look for confirmation you've looked for a refund from Eir and not been successful.

bennyx_o wrote: »
    From what you're saying it appears Eir used your Debit Card to take payment and not a Direct Debit.
    Thanks Benny,

I wasn't aware there was a difference. If the payment is automatic, then I thought that makes it direct debit. I thought it would be the case that they'd take my card details in order to 'set up' a direct debit.
    As mentioned above, banks will refund Direct Debits up to 8 weeks after their date and 13 months if it's unauthorised. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to Visa Debit transactions, and you will need to file a dispute with AIBs Visa department. They may look for confirmation you've looked for a refund from Eir and not been successful.
    I do have an email from the Eir person I was dealing with which states that the charges will be waived. The same person made several incorrect claims on the day itself, but it's good that this one is in writing. This is what she said.

"A bill would generate when the sim was active but as the sim was no in use these charges will be waved."

What I would also like to know is if I file a dispute with AIB debit department, will it be AIB that will be paying for it, or eir?
    Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to Visa Debit transactions
    If that's the case, couldn't companies just take a payment from anyone who cancelled their direct debit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I wasn't aware there was a difference. If the payment is automatic, then I thought that makes it direct debit. I thought it would be the case that they'd take my card details in order to 'set up' a direct debit.

One can do "recurring payments" with a debit/credit card.

But the difference here is how they did the payments.

If they use your BIC/IBAN to take the money from your account, then SEPA rules apply.

If they use your 16 digit VISA Card number, then Visa Rules apply.

SEPA rules are "nicer"...
    If that's the case, couldn't companies just take a payment from anyone who cancelled their direct debit?

Companies frequently represent against customers whom reversed/recall/charged back a payment.

Visa/Mastercard do fine processers with too many chargebacks.

Advertisement