Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think it's an edited photo/hacked video. They use a method that routes AA/Carplay to an app which then serves it via the web browser to the car. You can see in the screenshot that the person is using it via the browser. I've had Android Auto running on mine using the same system, was a bit too laggy to make it usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

That is odd. The rules must have changed very recently if the Tesla wall charger is no longer eligible. It will catch people out no doubt. Apologies. Just shared my experience, seems I was lucky and I didn't mean to mislead.

Overall it is a short sighted decision when the aim is to increase electric vehicle uptake.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's up to Tesla to maintain their registration on the Triple E register and ensure their wall charge points meets the technical requirements to do so. Plenty of other charge point suppliers have been able to do so (our technical requirements largely mirror requirements in the UK).

I don't think it's a short sighted decision to let one laggard charge point supplier get a free pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

No problem TMY, I should have checked myself before I ordered it too. I think I’ll just keep the Tesla one as the Zappi costs twice as much so there’s only a €100 in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

The SEAI did say that Tesla needed to register when they got back to me. It’s no doubt Tesla’s fault but they don’t seem to give a sh*t about anything as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

Probably another example of Tesla Ireland being ran from the UK as someone's part time responsibility. SEAI probably sent a reminder email which was ignored or the person thought the old registration was enough and didn't look close enough if it needed to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Conar

In case it's of interest I have the EO Mini Pro 2. You don't have to spend as muchas the zappi to get basic smart fucntionality.

A quick Google showed a company installing it for 1100 so 500 after the grant.

Does the job for me, has load balancing, sheduling, power tracking. It can do solar but tops up from the grid if it's below 1kw I think (don't use it for that.

I know Zappi have a great name but they may be overkill for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is there any risk that Tesla would abandon the Irish market, as being just too much overhead for what's relatively a very small market?

Last year, there were 50,000 Model 3s sold in the UK, 50 times more than Ireland. Is it really worthwhile for them, having to comply with a different set of regulations, battle with our archaic planning system etc, for a few thousand units each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nah they're here now. And the Model 3 is not a relevant car to compare market importance, Model Y is. It's the best selling car in the world in 2023. Not best selling EV, no. Best selling car. I predicted that a year ago and was ridiculed by many. Not sure if it will be the best selling car in Ireland this year, but it will sell close enough to 4,000. Which is significant enough.

I'd doubt it, there main business of selling cars isn't subject to much extra work here other than filing the SEAI grant paperwork. The cars themselves are regulated at the UNECE level.

The planning system under Ireland is not much different from the UK where each county council has it's own set of rules. Generally you'd hire a local planning consultant as a contractor to work you way through the system.

Tesla are the 13th best selling brand in Ireland this year, plenty of others that have sold less cars and maintain their sales here. The main difference being that they are usual done so with the help of a local distributor who handles multiple brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Nah they just announced an advertising campaign, sort of

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/events/irish-roadshow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Speaking of Tesla events, anyone heading to the highland model 3 event in Belfast? I'm on gardening leave at the moment between jobs and can think of no better way to spend 1 day of it than a 600km trip to see both the new 3 and also the Tesla SC/SuC in Belfast which I've never been to either.

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/event/upgraded-model-3-in-belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Its related to SEAI changing its criteria to restrict grant to Smart chargers which are registered on SEAI's smart charger register. Tesla charger does not meet these revised criteria so it is not as simple as just Tesla registering. Previously SEAI grant was not restricted to Smart Chargers. The revised criteria became effective from September 2022 (Noting some people managed to get s grant after this date).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Probably been asked before but on the new model 3 if you stick with the standard wheels it says"18’’ Photon Wheels Included Est. range as configured: 678 km

if you choose the 19’’ Nova Wheels €1,700

Certified Range (WLTP): 629 km

Is that an error or is the range 678km with smaller wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

not an error. Bigger wheels impact range and comfort of ride.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and the 18" come with covers which are more efficient versus bare alloys

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Tesla don’t want people reselling a Cybertruck in their first year without written permission. That’s hilarious.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-buyers-no-resale-policy/

That's ridiculous. And I'd say that's not enforceable. Can't think of a reason they would put that in either, maybe they expect early Cybertrucks would have a huge premium in the second hand market?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭spakman

Apologies if already answered, I've read back a few pages and couldn't see it discussed - is the new model 3 available for test drive in Ireland yet?

I had a test drive of a BYD Seal and am interested to see how the two compare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Available to buy for January/February collection.

None in the country for test drive yet.

• Advertisement

No. I'm test driving a Model 3 this week and when I asked Tesla, they told me the Highland version won't be available for test drives until early next year.

No. Going to Sandyford to get the MCU1 => MCU2 upgrade on my Model S and a friend asked me to book a test drive 😁

Post edited by liamog on

I see 😂

Bring your wife. 😂😂

That was a quick turn around on the MCU to getting a slot.

Post edited by liamog on

Yeah wasn't too bad. Scheduled in for end of the month but when I checked during the week there was an earlier appointment / cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Zappi is less than 600 inc vat on ebay from an Irish seller. Not sure why the person is selling lots of them this cheap but they are there. I imagine installers can buy them for 500 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

They're 750 or so ex vat from the wholesalers, I've no idea how they're selling them on ebay for that money. There would be a saving buying in bulk, but not to the tune of 250.

☀️

Cheaper to buy from ecoplex, Fokearn etc

Supply and fit for €1200ish

Then get grant back.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

Bringing the Tesla to the Britain shortly and am wondering about charging:

Does anyone have much experience of using the regular charging network in the UK with Irish credentials? Just trying to get my head around whether I should/can sign up for any of the service providers/ apps for charging.

Presumably using Superchargers is as seamless as it is at home? I might make Revolut my payment card on the Tesla account to offset foreign currency charges and poor exchange rates.

I've just downloaded ABRP, and Zapmap - In general, charging looks considerably more expensive than Ireland..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

The first SuC we ever used was in Rugby. The last one we used was in Birmingham. It's the very same as here. But we've never used an Irish SuC so can't be sure :)

Advertisement