Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

jhegarty wrote: »
    Thoughts on this one ?

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7H18EFP65149?redirect=no

2014 Model S85 £33,900
    36,059 miles

Key Features

Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
    19" Wheels
    Black Leather Seats
    Autopilot Hardware
    Smart Air Suspension
    All Glass Panoramic Roof
    Ultra High Fidelity Sound
    Keyless Entry
    Power Liftgate
    GPS Enabled Homelink
    Piano Black Décor
    Matching Yacht Floor
    Black Headliner

Sounds expensive. On ferry now with Dec 15 75D, with supercharging, ap hardware, fidelity sound, one fastidious owner and 60000 miles for £5k less. No warranty except the 8 year one.

Can't believe the grip.

Sounds expensive. On ferry now with Dec 15 75D, with supercharging, ap hardware, fidelity sound, one fastidious owner and 60000 miles for £5k less. No warranty except the 8 year one.

Can't believe the grip.

And Chademo connector And the other cable ( can't remember the name)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can't believe the grip.

GBP28.9k?

How much to enable the AP?

unkel wrote: »
    GBP28.9k?

How much to enable the AP?

Don't know, lots I think

Bit of a risk buying a car without knowing that, isn't it? Or are you going to keep it disabled?

• Advertisement

Bit of a risk buying a car without knowing that, isn't it? Or are you going to keep it disabled?

No risk at all. It was the best value of non Ap1 in my view. We'll see if there is a bonus this year!

No risk at all. It was the best value of non Ap1 in my view. We'll see if there is a bonus this year!

The Greenwich Knight one looks v good at 30k with autopilot and better spec but is a year older and I don't think is dual motor.

For me the stability of dual motor is more important. For me I emphasise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The Greenwich Knight one looks v good at 30k with autopilot and better spec but is a year older and I don't think is dual motor.

For me the stability of dual motor is more important. For me I emphasise

I was in contact about that one. It was imported from Hong Kong last year.

That had me backing away.

ELM327 wrote: »
    In fairness the mortgage is less than half the Tesla payment so I'm ok with that.
    Am going to wait and enjoy the S for another year and see what happens then. Have a large share package vesting in March next year so that will clear most of the Tesla balance and can move on at that point.

Probably to a non-EV unless the cybertruck is available or used Xs with MCU2 and HW3 come down in price.

I bet you won't be able to wait until March of next year :D

2017 90D Model X start at about GBP50k. Not mad money. We should do a competition about what's your next car. My bet is on that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can't believe the grip.

It's phenomenal isnt it!

Getting that 75d below 30k GBP was a pretty good deal. The free supercharging is the one regret about buying mine from Tesla CPO.

I bet you won't be able to wait until March of next year :D

2017 90D Model X start at about GBP50k. Not mad money. We should do a competition about what's your next car. My bet is on that :D

Unfortunately I'll have to as thats when a large batch of shares vest and I won't be able to afford to change till then.

I think my priority will be like this:
    1 - Cybertruck - if it's in sight of being available, wait
    2 - X long range, if it's reasonable money and has MCU 2 HW3... not buying without those. Certainly not without MCU2 anyway.
    3 - Other ridiculous americana. Have been looking at Ram 2500 HD. And hummers as you saw. Have a company and a provisional C licence so will be able to import as commercial.
    4 - Other interesting car. Bentley continental, Audi Q7 with the V12 TDI, e38 750li, e65 760li.

I'll start a thread closer to the time... lets keep this one Tesla related!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Can't believe the grip.

Great purchase!! Did you buy from a non tesla dealer over there or a private seller if you don't mind me asking?

Great purchase!! Did you buy from a non tesla dealer over there or a private seller if you don't mind me asking?

Private. Total gent.

It's a 70d. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The fun starts around 2 minutes in. Maybe not while you're eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They say they’ve made their millionth car.

That's quite something for a company that 10 years ago had only stuck some batteries and a motor into a few Lotus cars they had bought.

That's quite something for a company that 10 years ago had only stuck some batteries and a motor into a few Lotus cars they had bought.

Tesla is 16 years old.

Their production ramp up is only four years behind Ford, which hit half a million Model Ts a year in 1916, 13 years after the company was founded.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Can someone answer a few Tesla questions for me. Model S, earlier versions specifically. (It's there a MS specific thread?)

What phone connectivity is there?
    What music playing options are there if any? (Google music, Spotify, Bluetooth music)
    What's a decent set of tires cost?
    How does their boot space compare to the likes of a Passat?

On a different note, how valuable is a warranty when you live far from Dublin? Sure it's handy if you need it, but at the same time it's a pain because Tesla are so far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

You can connect your phone via Bluetooth.

Music is either from your phone, thumb drive or Spotify, which is included for free in earlier cars (before 181 or 182 or something like that).

Tires will depend upon size but you shopud expect around €900 at the low end.

I think boot space is similar to a Passat. Note that there is also a frunk, and on older models it's a lot bigger than on newer models.

There is a ranger who will come to you to fix any issues that can be fixed locally.

Trunk + frunk space is bigger than any other car for sale this side of an estate. Frunk is very handy for takeaways. Our Ioniq stank of onions for weeks after we brought home 3 massive (delicious) Base pizzas a few weeks ago :-(

If you're ever near Dublin, Black Knight, I'll give you a demo of the car. And I have to say, things just work beautifully. It's like the company just sat down and thought: what way should a car work (let's not look at how other cars work). Using the car, you don't have to do anything. Walk towards the car and it unlocks itself and presents the door handle to you. Grab it, sit yourself down, stick the column shifter in D and drive away. No start buttons, no other buttons to push. It recognises your profile, puts everything in the car (including your seat) to your preferences and off you go

I have yet to try music on a USB stick (very useful to me as I prefer high quality FLAC lossless format audio over poor quality streamed audio like digital radio / Spotify (this comes indeed with a free life subscription with an early Model S, also free internet connectivity for life)

Cheers. Not on the cards yet, but baby 2 is on the way, and our ioniq is our main car (we have an ice car, but it's rarly used and smaller than ioniq). So I'm thinking it some point we'll 1) run out of space in the car and 2) get tired of the need to charge on those slightly long drives with 2 kids in the car. 2md hand ENiro was a plan, but S looks more available/affordable/appealing.

Would love a tour unkel, though I'm rarely if ever in Dublin these days. Thanks for the offer.

Biggest concern would be the physical size of the car. Driveway is/was grand for my old Passat cc and ioniq, but the S is a long wide car. Realistically I'd need to park an S in my driveway to get the full picture.
    Second biggest concern would be servicing/when things go wrong (with or without warranty).

• Advertisement

With warranty it's not much of an issue. A ranger comes to your house to fix it or you drive to Sandyford and you get a loaner Tesla, usually better than your own car.

I have yet to try music on a USB stick

I have now. Working fine. Great that it can play all my FLAC stuff.

I also drove the car over the military road and some of the back roads in the Wicklow / Dublin mountains today, sometimes in a bit of anger, and it behaved impeccably. Hard to believe you can throw such a heavy car around like that. I'm impressed and delighted in equal measures :)

Ordering / ordered some accessories for the car. Large dog cover for the boot. Vent phone holder (ugly), a drawer for the cubby hole, a parcel shelf "governor". Not sure what to do about the lack of cup holders in the back. The only inadequate thing left then would be the sun visors which are ridiculously small and not up for the job.

Vent phone holder (ugly),

What one? I got this one a few months back. Delighted with it.

#Aliexpress € 2,99 48%OFF | INIU Gravity Car Holder For Phone in Car Air Vent Clip Mount No Magnetic Mobile Phone Holder GPS Stand For iPhone 11 Pro Samsung
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_d9k4PYx

Getting a wirelessly charging one. This one:

Linky

Price has gone up quite a bit since I ordered it a few days ago...

Alternative solution (and much neater) would be a wireless pad with rubber sides that I can place (double sided tape) on the "yacht floor". I do (need to) look at my phone quite a bit while in the car, so not sure if that would be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was considering the wireless charger for my Model 3 (the £30 Amazon one, not the €130 Tesl one), and decided I don’t really need one! I just got a new iPhone 11, and the battery is fairly good on it (for now anyway), so I don’t really have a need to charge it every time I drive, and if I do, I have 2 brand new Apple lightning cables in the car, as back ups for herself & myself.

It's a bit of a no brainer in the Model 3 tbh. Costs next to nothing and works very well. That and the wrapping of the console thing are the 2 things that pretty much all Model 3 owners seem to be doing and have the parts ready even before their cars arrive.

You're not seriously still plugging in your phone in 2020, are you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yep,

only a few weeks ago my personal phone was an iPhone 7, and my work phone an iPhone 6, now Ive an iPhone 11, and the work one is an iPhone XR!! so I'm still new to the wireless charging scene!! They both get charged by plugging into my mac, and work PC. I haven't needed to charge either in the car yet, but having wire in the car is handy for herself, as if she needs to charge, and use the phone at the same time she can..

Always handy to have backup, but do go the wireless way! Welcome to 2012, you iPhone owner :pac:

I am. My phone (Pixel 3a) doesn't have wireless charging, the Pixel 3 does but is restricted to 5W (18W with wire).

I could buy a Pixel 4, but that's still only 11W wireless vs 20W for wired, and it's €800 I don't need to spend.

Also, I think the Model 3 has really crappy power to USB ports, and since wireless is less efficient I imagine a Pixel 4 would charge quite slowly.

Anyway, I frequently use my phone when plugged in (not while driving obvs). Wired charging has this amazing feature that you can pick up the phone and use it while it's charging. It's the future. :D

• Advertisement

If you can afford a €50k Tesla, surely you can afford the €100 it would cost to sell your 3a and buy a second hand 3 XL? :p

And for the record, I spend minimal money on phones. Most of my phones have been second hand and I have only twice spend more than €250 on a phone. I also always switch to the cheapest plan and have not spend more than about €15 per month average on subscription over the last 5 years. Currently on €9.99 GoMo.

Advertisement