Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jaysus, did I upset you again. Bless you back. Go have a Kit Kat and take a tablet to reduce your blood pressure. You’ll be healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

No, you didn’t upset me at all. I think you are very odd though.

I was hoping posting a link about Tesla’s sales contracting would prompt some discussion about their share price and future plans, but no. We are on about rav4s being thirsty. Again, you seem to debase every thread you comment on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's what usually happens when you post an article comparing the sales of two cars (Rav4 and Model Y), people start comparing the two cars.

Tesla’s sales are the more interesting and on topic issue here. It seems like a company that the walls are closing in on it.

I also think you are very odd. Of the many posts that ridiculed your post, you still choose mine (I must have done something to deserve that) to attack. So yeah. Odd 🤪

You posted a comparison between 2 cars. People posted about the 2 cars. But now you’re upset that they are not talking about share prices and crap like that? As I said. Odd.

If you want to discuss share prices and future plans, maybe mention that and maybe learn that not everyone agrees with you, or me. Just because I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean I am debasing the thread 👍👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭3d4life

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not a surprise when Toyota gave the aerodynamics team 3 months off when designing the RAV4. The front of it is as bad as a cyber truck.

I think you should go back to posting memes with foul language.

I think you should ……

Because if someone posting a meme with the word f@@k in it upsets you that much, enough for you to carry grudges across multiple threads, you really should stay off the internet. It’s quite odd behavior at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Blast you anyway, I've got that song in my head now🤣

☀️

• Advertisement

It’s a choice of that or “it’s coming home” 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 , I think I’d rather suffer the frozen theme than the alternative!

^^^ it’s this stuff directed to me and others that don’t agree with you that’s problematic. Anyway, trying to steer back, I just do think it’s a pity Tesla seem to be going down the path they are. All the cool news about gigacasting, new cells, and engineering breakthroughs are being replaced by silly robotaxi stuff and getting rid of wipe stalks and it actually is sad to see a very conservative car like an elderly model rav overtaking Tesla rather than constant new stuff.

As I said. Let it go.

You were the one that jumped at me with your silly childish comments “bless you”. So don’t go trying to shift the focus now. So if you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.

Can we move on now please?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

One possible reason (and I'd give it a lot of weight) the MY has been overtaken by the RAV4 is that it has a lot more competition in the EV market. Only this week a report came out showing Tesla's EV market share in the US dipped below 50% for the first time. While EV sales are below forecast, American, European and Asian manufacturers have seen strong sales in their EV's which has eaten into Tesla market share.

FTR Q1 broke the US record for the most EV's sold in a quarter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Looking at US sales where your linked article is from, I think it's more a sign of a maturing market than any particular failure of Tesla. They're still the market leader by a huge amount but there's a lot more choice from other manufacturers.

Anybody who expected to see Tesla maintain a 50% market share is in for a reset as reality sets in. More choice is good for consumers as it will spur innovation and price reductions.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/Q2-2024-Kelley-Blue-Book-Electric-Vehicle-Sales-Report.pdf

This is it. Tesla got the jump start, they dragged the legacies with them.

Now the choice is there for people to buy. BYD, Tesla, Hyundai, they have be reinvigorated by their EV lineup. Hyundai were laughed at years ago, now they are one of the best EV’s available.

The legacies lost the plot and buried their heads in the sand but that’s changing now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'd agree that Tesla are likely to be in serious trouble soon. At the end of the day it seems to be an almost entirely share price driven company who've been reduced to extreme cost cutting and price slashing on their 1.5/2 mass market models (with added pie in the sky bullshit talk) in a desperate attempt to keep the share price up. And I own a Tesla so can hardly be accused of being biased against them!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

A bit of an extreme view to say "game over". Everyone can, and should, have a view but not all views align. The collective "views" are best expressed by the market reflecting the sum of all views and in the last month Tesla share price is up 45% (last 3 months something similar). Am purposely choosing comparative periods to align with the stats that you circulated re Toyoto. So I guess the view you expressed is not commonly held.

The Model Y (which is due a refresh) was the worlds best selling car for 2023. One swallow doesn't make a summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I see there's mentions that the Robotaxi announcement that was scheduled for August is to be pushed back now. I'm shocked to be honest because Elon normally meets the deadlines he sets.

The robotaxi is sounding more and more like vapourware. It would seem self driving is an irresolvable conundrum, so it’s hard to see how they can leverage a second product on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Why is robotaxi so improbable? I thought some companies already have some robotaxi service running in San Francisco. Of course, that doesn't mean it will go everywhere at once, especially with legal hurdles but the technology doesn't sound too far fetched or unachievable anymore, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

They're operating in a very limited area afaik. And only Waymo are being allowed to continue after a very tragic incident involving Cruise robotaxis. And Waymo recalled all their robotaxis for the second time in June after one of them hit a telephone pole.

So they may work in cities and other closed areas but the problems seem to still pop up even in these limited tests.

Ageee. Some people just want to see certain companies/individuals burn to the ground unfortunately.

Personally, I’m not into any of the FSD/Taxi stuff. Adaptive cruise control is enough machine control for me so I don’t know if I ever want to get into a driverless car tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Fair enough. Teslas L2 Vs waymo's L4. Tesla must be betting heavily on AI and making advantage of data all of their cars on the road. Yep, risky, yep, hype. Let them at it, better than not making any progress.

Truth to be told, if it wasn't for Tesla we would all be still he driving Passats and listening to radio debates on diesel Vs CNG Vs chipper-waste etc

If they can get them working safely in cities, well and good. Just can't see them outside that environment when you move into poorly marked roads and higher speeds. And the US road network is abysmal. Poorly maintained and very old.

I would say if it wasn't for the Nissan Leaf. People seem to forget that although the Tesla was first to hit the road, it was in a very limited number, whereas the Leaf, despite its issues was produced in large numbers and is still ubiquitous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its looking like ev is in trouble, with many countries now experiencing a fall off in up take, some significantly so, yes its been great to see companies such as tesla enter the market, giving traditional companies a run for it, but it also seems many of these companies are now quickly catching up with tesla. we may have jumped the gun here, and we ve seriously underestimated how critical support infrastructure is for ev's, chargers etc, and have been completely unable to provide it, its gonna take a miracle to move us off ice towards alternatives…..

The charging infrastructure has been growing a lot over the last couple of years. There are now over 2,400 around the country from about 1,600 a couple of years ago.

Pretty much every main route has multiple options now. I personally have never had to queue for a charger nor encountered an inoperative one. I don't even consider it an issue when taking a long journey, most of which I haven't even had to stop en route due to my battery capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im aware of this, but this completely pales in comparison to traditional fuel pumps, effectively, its too little too late, the vast majority simply arent changing, and probably wont until certain conditions occur, mainly, when we re forced to change when ice cars simply become too difficult to source. theres too much uncertainty surrounding ev's, charge time, range, battery life, resale value etc etc, this is simply too much for many drivers, so we re just defaulting to what we know, i.e ice, and thats the way its gonna stay until…..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You may just be projecting a bit there. An EV isn't for you, and that's ok.

• Advertisement

Comparison with fuel pumps is not in any way valid since 90% of charging is done at home. And there are still an estimated 1.5 million+ homes that can install chargers which is 1.425 million more than the current EV fleet.

And how is charge time uncertain? It's very simple maths. A 150kW charger is going to charge 50kWh in a third of an hour or 20 minutes. People put their phones on charge and know how long it's going to take. It's not hard.

Battery life is much less of an unknown now since the technology is mature and improving all the time. I'll grant resale value is all over the place due to factors that (in the main) have less to do with EVs and more to do with the post Covid shortages and manufacturers getting greedy and then dropping prices to encourage demand. The same uncertainty will hit ICE cars in the not too distant future as manufacturers stop bringing new models to the market. Audi have stated that this (for them) will be as early as 2026.

Advertisement