Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭MarkN

Went up to the M1 Applegreen today. It’s about 60kms from my house but I wanted to try it out.

Two other Teslas came along while I was there, an X and 3 but before they plugged in, I was getting nearly 100kW - very impressive. The whole way they work is lovely and simple and seeing 8 chargers all empty as you pull up is pretty cool.

The main issue is how few we have in the country. Looking at the amount of them in the UK and especially mainland Europe when you search Supercharger on the sat nav shows how far behind we are.

Hooking it up with 120kms and coming back to the car with nearly 300kms after 15 mins or something was unbelievable.

756596-B7-60-FD-4-C46-86-A2-033-CE36-E5-CC9.jpg
    2-F953-ADF-5931-4691-92-E1-E3-B11-E90-D2-FD.jpg
    DFE5568-B-7453-4-AB9-87-EC-6828286-C202-A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No need to use any card, or any app. No need to click any buttons or make any payments or ring any phone numbers. Just pick up the plug and stick it into your car and supercharging will start within seconds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    No need to use any card, or any app. No need to click any buttons or make any payments or ring any phone numbers. Just pick up the plug and stick it into your car and supercharging will start within seconds.

They are like the apple of cars. Stuff just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭MarkN

Gumbo wrote: »

I did have a situation in another car last year where the electrics seemed to have a **** fit, car wouldn’t drive, doors wouldn’t open, every bit of tech in the car sat down.

12-C07-F79-7-E86-41-B1-BD24-96-DB90528-B3-F.jpg
    upload image

Tesla is like a computer. Might need a reboot now and then :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's a good analogy, up to a point.

Unfortunately there's a lot of stuff which doesn't work very well at all, like auto wipers, auto headlights and driver assistance. I have experimented with autopilot lane assist and it only really works in lane 1 of an empty motorway, in any other lane it freaks out and deactivates after a few seconds.

But ironically, as a car to just drive, it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

Lumen wrote: »
    I have experimented with autopilot lane assist and it only really works in lane 1 of an empty motorway, in any other lane it freaks out and deactivates after a few seconds.

That's very odd. Assuming we're talking about the same thing, I've driven hundreds of miles on different types of roads and it has rarely deactivated for me except where the road markings are extremely unclear, typically at junctions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tried my first Supercharging session yesterday, not through necessity, but curiosity. I was the only car at the Superchargers (M1 southbound).

Arrived at about 56% SoC, and when plugged in, was only getting about 50kWh charge speed (initially), then slowly reduced to about 40kWh. I had navigated to the supercharger for about 20 km’s (from Jonesborough) so the battery did have some pre-conditioning enroute.

Would this be a fair speed given my SoC upon arrival, or should I have seen faster speeds?

And also just to confirm, I used the CCS plug (Model 3), correct?

506664.jpeg
    506665.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,897 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It;s the correct speed for that SOC if you have the SR plus, its low if you have the LR AWD imo

SR+

so at a much lower SoC, I'd see much faster speeds?

• Advertisement

Yes, the peak for the SR plus is 170kW, but at v2 stations you'll likely get 140-145kW below say 30-40%, once the battery is warm etc

If you watch Bjorn's video doing the 1000km challenge in the SR plus it explains very well the charging curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes, the peak for the SR plus is 170kW, but at v2 stations you'll likely get 140-145kW below say 30-40%, once the battery is warm etc

If you watch Bjorn's video doing the 1000km challenge in the SR plus it explains very well the charging curve.

Do model 3s not have free supercharging?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No

Only the 1,500 free km’s you get for every time your referral code is used (or if you order a car using a referral code).

Buying a Model 3? I’ve a referral code you could use ;)

1500 free km uses about 240kWh in a Model 3. Which costs €77 at a supercharger or €19 with home charging. Worth very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Only the 1,500 free km’s you get for every time your referral code is used (or if you order a car using a referral code).

Buying a Model 3? I’ve a referral code you could use ;)

No thanks, bought a private sale 2015 Model S a few weeks ago.

No thanks, bought a private sale 2015 Model S a few weeks ago.

Free supercharging for life :D

Not that it is much good in this country though. But you would save a significant amount of money if you lived in say the Netherlands and you didn't have home charging.

Or, when it goes wrong, you're ****ed. Not a fan of apple.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Or, when it goes wrong, you're ****ed......

Just like my Bmw then!

I dont think the network in a lot of places could handle it if they did!

I think Tesla want to keep as many differentiators between the premium cars (S/X) and the "mass market" cars (3/Y), and the free supercharging when you buy a new S/X is one of these.

• Advertisement

+1

And in Ireland it doesn't add any material value to have free supercharging for life, but in continental Europe it does. I.e. a typical owner in the Netherlands or northern Germany could go skiing in the Alps for the weekend after they come home from work on a Friday. Or to their holiday home in the Mediterranean.

Before all the covid stuff, I was looking at doing a drive from Ireland to Tromso. It would cost less than 100 quid in supercharger fees.That's a once in a year trip. For your regular stops in Ireland (once a month even) I'd spend more on coffee and snacks for us and the kids than on a 10-80/90% charge.

Well, a bit more than 100 quid. Unless it's a one way trip and you drive over there at LeafSpeed in an Ioniq :pac:

Sorry, one way was less than 100 quid according to ABRP allowing a conservative 250wh/km (my average over 20k km is 235wh/km)
    As you know, I don't drive at leaf speed.

I had to laugh, I had AP set a couple of weeks ago and passed a leaf on the M3 before the toll. I was doing 120 on Tesla speedo - generally accurate within 1km/h of gps - and the leaf was showing 131 on the speedo. He probably thought I was speeding.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Sorry, one way was less than 100 quid according to ABRP allowing a conservative 250wh/km (my average over 20k km is 235wh/km)
    As you know, I don't drive at leaf speed.

I had to laugh, I had AP set a couple of weeks ago and passed a leaf on the M3 before the toll. I was doing 120 on Tesla speedo - generally accurate within 1km/h of gps - and the leaf was showing 131 on the speedo. He probably thought I was speeding.

Is the speedo on the leaf massive? Or you just have eagle eye vision?

graememk wrote: »
    Is the speedo on the leaf massive? Or you just have eagle eye vision?
    It's massive and generally visible while passing.
    Plus I'm nosy and like to laugh at leafspeed

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Before all the covid stuff, I was looking at doing a drive from Ireland to Tromso. It would cost less than 100 quid in supercharger fees.That's a once in a year trip. For your regular stops in Ireland (once a month even) I'd spend more on coffee and snacks for us and the kids than on a 10-80/90% charge.

I have planned my holidays next year from Ireland to Lofoten and back in my model 3.

This year I have ferry and accommodation for a trip from Ireland to the Dolomites and Tyrol, will see how this goes if I can finally make it before planning next year's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Folks,
    Looking at UK import Tesla and notice some have official extended warranty and thinking that that would not usually transfer from UK to Ireland but then am I correct in thinking that Tesla in Dublin would handle all Northern Ireland Teslas?
    If that's the case would extended warranties then be valid for me?
    Thoughts?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Tesla warranty in emea is valid pan emea.
    So if you bought a german tesla and brought it here, it would be covered. But not a north america one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm referring to official extended warranty package outside the normal Telsa one (Allianz sold this in the UK)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement