Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Musk mentioned the 220V socket, not me!

But yeah, there would be many more 110V sockets in US homes than 220V sockets I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

you mean 110V??

Dryer outlets are 2 phase 110v - ie 220v net

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So that's how they get the 220 then, on a double phase?

So that's how they get the 220 then, on a double phase?
    A crude 2 phase.

Often just 2 110/120v wires combined (although some more modern houses have a dedicated incoming 240v feed apparently)

110/120v is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

unkel wrote: »
    I'm not disputing it's possible. Just saying that it would be very uncommon for any home anywhere, be it in Germany or the USA or wherever, to actually have a 220V socket that can provide 22kW

Out of interest, what car does Musk drive himself as his daily driver? I know he took delivery of his McLaren F1 when he was only in his 20s probably paid for with some PayPal earnings :)

He crashed the F1 :eek:
    https://drivetribe.com/p/heres-how-elon-musk-crashed-his-TXtEwESmRZ6AMrNDETLvuw?iid=fpml4dyEQoatMXx3_Axd6Q

I think I read somewhere he normally drives a S P100DL or X when he is with the kids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think I read somewhere he normally drives a S P100DL or X when he is with the kids

Interestingly the Model S he drives has the upgraded Raven drive train. He has also been regularly seen driving the Cybertruck now.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Anyone else get 'Upgrades' now appearing in the app? Mine never showed on the account or app, was it just me or has something changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

thos wrote: »
    Anyone else get 'Upgrades' now appearing in the app? Mine never showed on the account or app, was it just me or has something changed?

me, me, me! It was only on the web page before, but now I see FSD option (I'm an M3 owner).

Must be a Model 3 thing? Nothing changed for me. I already have all of the eligible upgrades (read: none) :p

• Advertisement

Must be a Model 3 thing? Nothing changed for me. I already have all of the eligible upgrades (read: none) :p

Nope, appeared on my X

FSD upgrade? How much does Musk want for that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

FSD upgrade? How much does Musk want for that? :)

6500 euro.....eek.

yeah when it can do a lot lot more, then I'll consider it... but if that doesn't happen in the planned ownership of my car ~10-15 years, it'll wait til the follow up car is purchased.

(I know that when it can do a lot lot more, it will also most likely cost a lot lot more).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

yeah when it can do a lot lot more, then I'll consider it... but if that doesn't happen in the planned ownership of my car ~10-15 years, it'll wait til the follow up car is purchased.

(I know that when it can do a lot lot more, it will also most likely cost a lot lot more).

Part of the reason it can't do more is European regulations that severely hampers it. It still might not be worth 6,500 euro but today it could do a lot more if enabled if EU law would allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

Isn't FSD linked to your account and not the car itself?

moggins7 wrote: »
    Isn't FSD linked to your account and not the car itself?

I don't believe so. This came up on another thread, and it's linked to the car.

And if Tesla ever get the car back from you as a trade in, they can remove it and sell the car on with no FSD is they so choose.

mrbongo wrote: »
    Part of the reason it can't do more is European regulations that severely hampers it. It still might not be worth 6,500 euro but today it could do a lot more if enabled if EU law would allow it.

I guess that's more so what I was getting at, not just teh capability of the car, but the regulations that allow it to FSD.

The reason it is/was never a viable option for me with the current car is I can't see it being legislated for in EU/Ireland in the lifetime of my current car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The vids I watch of american cars do nothing to convince me FSD is worth that sort of money. Summon is a gimmick and totally nerfed in Europe. Navigate on autopilot is a gimmick and saves you about 2 seconds of work. Driving on city streets is miles off. I look at the visualisations and its cannot even read the lights properly at the moment. Autopark is a bit unreliable.

6500 euro is a lot of dosh.

1. 2 X Mazda Mx5's.
    2. A really nice watch.
    3. A nice holiday.
    4. 6500 barrels of oil.
    5. Gym membership for 21 years.

6500 euro is a lot of dosh.

1. 2 X Mazda Mx5's.
    2. A really nice watch.
    3. A nice holiday.
    4. 6500 barrels of oil.
    5. Gym membership for 21 years.

or a 2011 Nissan Leaf with enough left over to charge it for about 10 years.....

• Advertisement

Hard to compare different manufacturers right now, but these type of options on new cars are not cheap anyway.

At the moment Tesla are saying €6500 for 'Full Self Driving' includes
    - Navigate on Autopilot
    - Autopark
    - Smart Summon
    - Traffic Aware Cruise Control
    Coming soon is traffic lights, stop signs, and automatic driving on city streets

Quick look at Mercedes S Class options (if we're talking Model S comparison)
    - Driving Assistance package, €4629
    ( this seems to cover most of the adaptive cruise, steering, lane changing
    - Parking Package, €1913, looks like AutoPark equiv
    Total €6542

Not a million miles away.

Not sure what the nearest comparative is for Model 3 with this type of tech, likely to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

See an M3 trying to autopark at work most mornings, its cumbersome and slow and looks like it is going to hit the car beside it everytime (hope its FSD doing the work, and not the driver :) cos i am pretty sure he posts here :D )

I've seen the demos of smart summon and autopark as is. To be honest I was not impressed by it. At all. If they can't get this right, then by simple deduction they must be pretty far off still with the real "self driving". I do appreciate that they have to be extra careful with these as there is no driver in the car

If you have a spare USD6500 and want to support Tesla, I suggest you buy a few TSLA shares instead of FSD :p

I have autopark in my S (came with EAP) and I have tried it a couple of times... never again! It's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The difference between Tesla FSD and real autonomy is the difference between supervising an extremely nervous learner driver and sitting in the back of a limo.

Autopark is ok, it works. Not much different to other self parking systems I've used.

I've done parallel park in the middle of Skerries, and to be fair it worked pretty well. Lots of traffic around, tight enough space (for a cruise ship sized Model X), certainly more of the 'slow and steady', but parked in one fluid movement. Reverse parking, where it needs to straighten and correct is certainly a little more cumbersome, and the slow speed seems to drag it out longer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can you autopark reverse autopark while out of the car via the App?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Can you autopark reverse autopark while out of the car via the App?

There is a way to double press P on the stalk, and get out of the car.
    Not enabled in Ireland/EU from what I know.
    It's mostly a Summon, back / forward motion, so could be initiated from the App as standard Summon, but not a back/forward reverse manoeuvre from what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

ELM327 wrote: »
    I have autopark in my S (came with EAP) and I have tried it a couple of times... never again! It's crap.

I've used it a few times and it's wildly inconsistent. Occasionally it works beautifully. Sometimes I'm not confident it's not going to crash and I take over. Mostly it lives in blissful ignorance that there's a parking space nearby or that I might want to go to it.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    I've used it a few times and it's wildly inconsistent. Occasionally it works beautifully. Sometimes I'm not confident it's not going to crash and I take over. Mostly it lives in blissful ignorance that there's a parking space nearby or that I might want to go to it.

Mine is the opposite, it sees parking spaces, where there is absolutely none.

A bit like the cones it now sees ... everywhere .. everything is a cone.

Advertisement