Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

thos wrote: »
    Mine is the opposite, it sees parking spaces, where there is absolutely none.

A bit like the cones it now sees ... everywhere .. everything is a cone.

I've had Autopark suggest the oncoming lane on a bridge was a good place to park. They had a red light, so it wanted to park in front of the first car at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I thought this was very funny :).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's old, do keep up ;)

But yeah it's funny alright. I liked the bit where the teenage daughter got fed up and just left to go to her boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/tesla-applies-to-generate-electricity-in-uk-997403.html

If they were supplying grid storage it would presumably be under an existing providers license and they wouldnt need their own.

I wonder why exactly they need this license to generate?

Maybe virtual power plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Must have accessory for your tesla :pac:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/383533810369?ul_noapp=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do you need to purchase their €360 Chademo adapter to use ecars charging points or are their alternatives?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What model are you talking about, if an earlier Model S or X then you need a CCS adaptor retrofit costing €500 which can be done at your home and you can then use any CCS charger e.g. ESB, Ionity etc
    If more recent Model S or X then you just need to cheaper adaptor as retrofit not required (not sure how much).
    All Model 3's are CCS so no need for anything.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    What model are you talking about, if an earlier Model S or X then you need a CCS adaptor retrofit costing €500 which can be done at your home and you can then use any CCS charger e.g. ESB, Ionity etc
    If more recent Model S or X then you just need to cheaper adaptor as retrofit not required (not sure how much).
    All Model 3's are CCS so no need for anything.

You don't need a CCS adapter for a Model S or X to use a fast charge point, but you'll charge slower without it (or a Chademo adapter).

Sabre Man wrote: »
    You don't need a CCS adapter for a Model S or X to use a fast charge point, but you'll charge slower without it (or a Chademo adapter).

Technically correct for the Irish triple heads, but I think you'll confuse a lot of people with that statement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

New Model 3. Should have said that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Gael23 wrote: »
    New Model 3. Should have said that
    Model 3 comes with CCS, no adapter needed

Sabre Man wrote: »

There are Fast Chargers without Type2 options, e.g. Easgo Circle K have CCS or Chademo only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

To the grey Model 3 I've passed the last few mornings, 6-6:30am, on the N25, Howya!:)
    Lovely looking car.

Customer drove up to my house a while ago in his black Tesla Model S. Should have taken a picture of the two big black panthers together :D

On other news, I got 2020.12.11.5 last night, which sorted the missing USB stick as expected. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

unkel wrote: »
    Customer drove up to my house a while ago in his black Tesla Model S. Should have taken a picture of the two big black panthers together :D

On other news, I got 2020.12.11.5 last night, which sorted the missing USB stick as expected. Happy days.

I upgraded to 2012.12.11.5 recently and today my phone call jumped to Bluetooth as soon as I walked near the car, it didn’t wait for me to sit in the drivers seat like recent versions. After I convinced the phone to talk to me, not the car, I opened one of the FWDs and the call jumped back to Bluetooth again! Maybe it was a once (twice) off, I’ll try to reproduce it later.

slave1 wrote: »
    There are Fast Chargers without Type2 options, e.g. Easgo Circle K have CCS or Chademo only

Good point.

FSD getting what looks like the first in a series of price hikes...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52703767

Another benefit to those preordering the cybertruck, your FSD is locked in at the price it was when you preordered

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-panasonic-results/panasonic-sees-strong-demand-from-tesla-in-talks-to-expand-nevada-battery-plant-idUKKBN22U0MF?il=0

Snippet...
    The company has been cautious about expanding its partnership with Tesla, as its $1.6 billion investment in the Nevada factory, which began construction in 2014, failed to produce solid returns. It did not make a profit until the October-December quarter of last year.

Making batteries at scale in a profitable way is going to be the key sticking point for EV's for a few years to come by the look of it.

Mr Musk said in a series of tweets on Monday. "[At] that point, the value of FSD is probably somewhere in excess of $100,000.

Me thinks Mr. Musk has been at the wacky backy again :D.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »

Not at all. There are some fairly straightforward calculations behind that, based on you letting Tesla use the car when you don't use it yourself. Tesla then exploits it as a "robotaxi" and gives you a share of the profit

All this of course only works if Tesla get level 5 autonomous driving to work and approved. A big if.

Mr Musk said in a series of tweets on Monday. "[At] that point, the value of FSD is probably somewhere in excess of $100,000.

Not at all. There are some fairly straightforward calculations behind that, based on you letting Tesla use the car when you don't use it yourself. Tesla then exploits it as a "robotaxi" and gives you a share of the profit

$100,000+ for FSD would push a Model 3 SR+ to probably over €200,000 here.
    At a nominal interest rate of 5% apr, the car would need to "earn" over €60,000 every year for 10 years (50:50 split with Tesla) to even cover its own cost.
    I can't see too many prospective Model 3 owners thinking that would make sense.
    Then again, they are fanatical :D.

OK, maybe not wacky backy - has he been huffing rocket fuel?

:pac:

The wacky logic is yours :p

Why do you think Elon was taking into account the Irish taxation system? :p

The value (he didn't even say cost!) of FSD of USD100k isn't that far out at all. If you let Tesla use your car for say 20 hours per day (an average car is only used for about 1 hour a day) at just USD4 per hour, that is nearly USD30k per year. Even if the FSD / robotaxi contract would cost you USD100k up front, USD30k per year looks like a decent return on investment to me.

USD30k per year looks like a decent return on investment to me.

giphy.gif

:D.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

One thing I don't understand, by the time FSD is working and capable of earning $30,000 per year, why would Tesla even bother selling the software/hardware. Elon Musk is a big fan of vertical integration, I can't see him allowing random private owners to have an impact on his robotaxi service.
    I do believe FSD will happen, I just don't think it will ever result in a current owner making money as a robotaxi fleet operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In a world of robotaxis, why would I even want to own a car?

More likely that the capital is owned by rich capitalists/rentier class. The clue is in the title.

I can think of almost no examples of ordinary people lending their stuff to other ordinary people for profit. Do you rent out your bicycles or power tools? Why not? Because people are assholes.

The concept falls apart at the very first puke splash.

Airbnb is a special case because of the unusual properties of housing and regulatory arbitrage.

Lumen wrote: »
    In a world of robotaxis, why would I even want to own a car?

Most people will no longer own cars. Just investors. Anyway, that's the idea :D

I can see all this happen alright, but not at the same time scale as Musk. FSD level 5 with no longer a driver necessary in the car (with Tesla fully indemnifying the owner / occupants) might only be maybe 5-10 years away - not 1 year ask Musk has been saying for a year or two now :p

And people no longer want to own a car, that's a complete cultural shift. It will take a generation in my view

Mock Musk and his vision at your peril. See what he has accomplished. The main thing he has gotten wrong generally was time scale...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most people will no longer own cars. Just investors. Anyway, that's the idea :D

I can see all this happen alright, but not at the same time scale as Musk. FSD level 5 with no longer a driver necessary in the car (with Tesla fully indemnifying the owner / occupants) might only be maybe 5-10 years away - not 1 year ask Musk has been saying for a year or two now :p

And people no longer want to own a car, that's a complete cultural shift. It will take a generation in my view

Mock Musk and his vision at your peril. See what he has accomplished. The main thing he has gotten wrong generally was time scale...

Dublin Bikes was one of the frontiers in this regard.
    We now have more bikes, GoCar, other firms offering cars now.

In a generation or 2, we will just walk out the house and take the. Rarest car available at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dbloke

I notice on TeslaFi that software version 2012.16 has started rolling out.

* Navigate on autopilot - lane change suggestions
    * Toybox redesigned
    * Nearby charging sites - filter by max power
    * Maps improvements
    * Dashcam improvements - format USB
    * Backgammon improvements - now more difficult!

https://teslascope.com/teslapedia/software/2020.16.2.1

• Advertisement

Why would people shift away from car ownership though?
    There's no advantage.

What could shift however is the taxi industry, replacing PSV with robotaxi makes sense. I'll never not own a car. Usually I own several!

Advertisement