Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

ELM327 wrote: »
    Why would people shift away from car ownership though?
    There's no advantage.

What could shift however is the taxi industry, replacing PSV with robotaxi makes sense. I'll never not own a car. Usually I own several!

There will always be motor enthusiasts, but I suppose I could see many people opting out of such an ownership model (with the ongoing expense and headache that comes with it) to a simple ‘use when needed’ model. Key of course will be just how available the facility is, the model loses its attraction if you need to hang around for ‘your car’ to arrive.

Perhaps not a perfect analogy, but many people (myself included) were happy enough ditching their coveted CD collection in favour of the facility of accessing (as opposed to owning) music, on a subscription basis. Wasn’t that traumatic, in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll never not own a car. Usually I own several!

Same here. I have 3 and I only need 1. Even if I needed none, I'd still own cars :D

We are older though. Look at the people in their late teens / early twenties. Many of them living in urban areas aren't interested in cars or learning to drive any more. That's the new generation that will use the robotaxis (at a fraction of the cost of the uber / taxi now)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Two very good points, but the spotiofy one is relevant. I'm an avid listener to lots of very eclectic music and spotify makes that easier without compromising sound quality. Therefore not only is it more convenient to use than a rake of CDs, it's cheaper too.

Getting a robotaxi to replace a car is neither of those.

(I'm also a motoring enthusiast so, even if it was necessary to use robotaxis for daily driving due to cost, I'd still have a rake of classics/exotics outside to take to shows or drive the odd time)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How can you say that when robotaxis don't exist yet?

We don't know what the driving environment will be like in the future.

Reducing the price of things generally increases demand for them.

So the traffic gets worse, the parking becomes impossible, and you still want to own a car?

We know what those kinds of changes do to car ownership, we just have to look at large cities now. And it's not just large cities. Have you ever tried driving into Oxford? It's basically impossible.

That could be our future. Autonomous gridlock everywhere.

I will never not own and drive a car.
    If a bus/train/taxi was cheaper for me to commute to work (in BAU) I would still own a car. Usually several.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I don't think it will ever be 100% one way or another, but thinking just about my own situation - I bought a house with parking because I didn't want to have to park my car on the street, or around the corner, then move it once the spaces cleared up. This forced me to live a little further out than I would have wanted. If there had been an established robotaxi service that was as cheap per mile as running a car, I'd possibly have made a different decision. I think if this does happen, people living in more crowded streets will not bother with car ownership.

People in more spacious suburbs and rural areas will probably opt for car ownership as long as it's not crazy expensive. In addition, if we're all driving electric, it may be inconvenient to charge at the kerb (yes, there are solutions out there, but nothing as convenient as a wall box in your driveway).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why would people shift away from car ownership though?
    There's no advantage.

What could shift however is the taxi industry, replacing PSV with robotaxi makes sense. I'll never not own a car. Usually I own several!

That's us, now, we grew up with cars, petrol, performance cars, chasing BHP etc

in a generation or 2, there may be no interest in cars at all.
    Glad I wont be here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've 2 teenagers, got the eldest a licence. No interest in driving at all.
    Mate of mine lives in Dublin. Hes in his early 40's no interest in driving.
    Generational change is already occurring.
    Personally cant wait to not have to worry about the 40k car in the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

The amount of driving licenses issued increases year on year tho and everyone I know has at least some interest in learning to drive, and a lot of them already have learned. I don’t think there’s going to be some cultural shift of not buying a car or learning how to drive any time soon. A 40 year old not knowing how to drive is a bit of an out liar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

User1998 wrote: »
    A 40 year old not knowing how to drive is a bit of an out liar

Why would you not believe them though :confused:.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

You got me there ... :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I didn't learn to drive until 32. I'm noticing a lot of my peers start driving in their early 30s as they start their own family. We are the generation that got screwed by the recession for work and then screwed by the rental market during the recovery, is it wonder that we tried to avoid the cost of running a car on top of all that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

liamog wrote: »
    We are the generation that got screwed by the recession for work and then screwed by the rental market during the recovery, is it wonder that we tried to avoid the cost of running a car on top of all that.

And at the same time, everyone’s been screwed by the insurance industry/judiciary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Just been watching the first SpaceX manned launch and saw they're using the Model X as the astronaut transfer vehicle (to take them from the buildings to the launchpad) :pac:

A bit different to the Astrovans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and did you notice the Model 3 door handles etched into their space boots!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »
    ..and did you notice the Model 3 door handles etched into their space boots!!!

Looked more like space wellies to me. Wife said they look like farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭s8n

Two very good points, but the spotiofy one is relevant. I'm an avid listener to lots of very eclectic music and spotify makes that easier without compromising sound quality. Therefore not only is it more convenient to use than a rake of CDs, it's cheaper too.

(I'm also a motoring enthusiast so, even if it was necessary to use robotaxis for daily driving due to cost, I'd still have a rake of classics/exotics outside to take to shows or drive the odd time)

people who say they have eclectic tastes are normally w@nkers who just have an ed sheeran and killers CD.

Mad altogether !!!

s8n wrote: »
    people who say they have eclectic tastes are normally w@nkers who just have an ed sheeran and killers CD.

Mad altogether !!!

Well I don't own either of those cds (whats a cd) but I am quite the knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭daddy_boy

does anyone have recommendations for car and boot mats for a MS, or if anybody selling drop me a pm - thanks

• Advertisement

I've had boot mats before but this time going for liners to take care of the cloth MS boot are, ordered from Rhino in the UK and I'll update my ongoing thread when they arrive and I fit, likely early week commencing June 22nd

Can anyone offer any advice:

I have pretty much decided to sell my S. I just cant be arsed with dealing with the monkeys from DD who call upfor a chat. It's going to be worse now as people have been on lockdown.

Is there anywhere better than donedeal to list such a car?

I posted this on the general thread too, but posting here too as its Tesla specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I found CarsIreland quiet good.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭daddy_boy

slave1 wrote: »
    I've had boot mats before but this time going for liners to take care of the cloth MS boot are, ordered from Rhino in the UK and I'll update my ongoing thread when they arrive and I fit, likely early week commencing June 22nd
    have you got a link ? tried searching for them and ended up on the USA site, do they sell direct or do they use Ama$on / ebay as there sales channel

3 wheel Tesla in Birdhill?

Xe4cjMx.jpg

:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Need to carry a few very large "Tesla" stickers with us on our travels :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not the worse. The bank of SuC’s would never be full.
    I’d rather see this than blocking an eCar bay to be honest.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Not the worse. The bank of SuC’s would never be full.
    I’d rather see this than blocking an eCar bay to be honest.

Yeah, I've no issue with him - he was obviously in trouble dismantling his front suspension like that in the pouring rain. I assume he was gone off for parts as he had left everything there, tools etc.

I purposely took the picture at an angle that didn't show his reg, I just thought it was funny :).

• Advertisement

If it's birdhill, hopefully he's in the spot that's switched off

Advertisement