Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

That’s nothing.....

1 day I saw 4 Model S, 5 Model 3’s & a Model X, all in the space of about an hour.

Back of Errigal road, not the natural habitat of the electric car.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yup, this just sounds like you went for a walk in Greystones for 15~ minutes :pac:

not a million miles away, it was driving from Dun Laoghaire to the East Link Bridge one day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

markpb wrote: »
    The Tesla satnav is a pile of poo and isn't showing many signs of changing.

Lol, best in car Sat Nav I’ve ever seen in all my years driving by a long way, sure, it can be better but already very good

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Lol, best in car Sat Nav I’ve ever seen in all my years driving by a long way, sure, it can be better but already very good

I would agree, I think it’s fantastic.

Waypoint option would of course be great, but we can still get this via an update down the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s definitely the easiest to use but a lot of that stems from the large high-quality touch screen, not from the UI itself. It’s also easy to use because it’s terribly simplistic. It lacks quite a few features: waypoints, PoI waypoints, en route charging at third party chargers, alternative route options, etc. And lately GreenTheOne on Twitter has reported that they’ve stopped paying for real time traffic and rely on data from other Tesla’s instead which will work well in CA but less well in Roscommon (assuming it’s true).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What chance do you all feel there is that there will be a supercharger in Sandyford within say 6-8 months?

My car was booked in for the CCS conversion first thing tomorrow morning (and for some other work) but they don't have a loaner available, which I require, so it's been postponed for a few weeks. If there was a supercharger near me, I would not convert to CCS. I don't really need it, except I would feel better if I had a supercharger nearby in case I need charging up in a bit of a hurry and I'm low. Nearest current superchargers are an hour's drive from me. Sandyford is just 10-15 minutes (off peak)
    lately GreenTheOne on Twitter has reported that they’ve stopped paying for real time traffic and rely on data from other Tesla’s instead which will work well in CA but less well in Roscommon (assuming it’s true).

And keep charging the vast majority of Tesla owners for premium connectivity? That would be outrageous. A bit of a Michael O'Leary move to cut costs. I'd like to see some more proof before I'd believe that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The Tesla satnav is a pile of poo and isn't showing many signs of changing.

Thankfully they are not changing it. It’s the best sat nav, constantly updated and kept up to date though google out of every car I’ve ever had including stand alone Tom Tom and Garmin units.

It’s definitely the easiest to use but a lot of that stems from the large high-quality touch screen, not from the UI itself. It’s also easy to use because it’s terribly simplistic. It lacks quite a few features: waypoints, PoI waypoints, en route charging at third party chargers, alternative route options, etc. And lately GreenTheOne on Twitter has reported that they’ve stopped paying for real time traffic and rely on data from other Tesla’s instead which will work well in CA but less well in Roscommon (assuming it’s true).

What other inbuilt say Nav does this?
    I would have thought simplistic would be a requirement for on the go say Nav use?
    Communication. Eternal my phone and the car is seemless. Type address in google maps on phone as walking to car. Hit the share to Tesla button and by the time I get into the car, the directions are on screen.

Search for POI is simple. The Nav Nox is constantly open. Just type the POI in and it directs.

yeah, in terms of searching for things in Tesla Navigation, you are essentially using Google to search, so it finds everything. Period.

I don’t type anything into the screen of the nav anymore, just say “take me to.......” works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Gumbo wrote: »
    What other inbuilt say Nav does this?
    Eternal my phone and the car is seemless. Type address in google maps on phone as walking to car. Hit the share to Tesla button and by the time I get into the car, the directions are on screen.

I know my G30 BMW does this, albeit I need to search Google Maps through the BMW connected app initially, but it's 99% the same.

But I agree, the Tesla mapping/interface is the best in the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Kramer wrote: »
    I know my G30 BMW does this, albeit I need to search Google Maps through the BMW connected app initially, but it's 99% the same.

But I agree, the Tesla mapping/interface is the best in the business.

The i3 has send to satnav directly from google maps.

jhegarty wrote: »

This is one of the best features of Tesla navigation in my opinion, don't need to be logged into any google account, just open google maps on phone, find the location, or just drop a pin somewhere, then share it with the Tesla app, which then pings it to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

It lacks quite a few features: en route charging at third party chargers,

I thought that was added in a recent update. It will also precondition the battery for faster charging, but I think there is a knack to it and a sub menu to find the chargers. Someone with more knowledge should know.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I thought that was added in a recent update. It will also precondition the battery for faster charging, but I think there is a knack to it and a sub menu to find the chargers. Someone with more knowledge should know.

Apparently you have to navigate to the charger by opening up the charging option on the map (which shows all nearby chargers), rather than just navigating directly to the charger. The problem is that 3rd party chargers are still not showing up. You can still see them, but that's because they are listed on Google Maps, but when you navigate to them, it doesn't pre-condition the battery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jhegarty wrote: »

The i3 has send directions through the BMW connected app too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

And anything with Carplay or Android Auto don't even seen to send through another app.

For Android Auto you have to plug your phone in. I haven't plugged my phones in for anything in nearly a decade now. AA came with my Ioniq, but I never used it (apart from testing it). To me plugging in my phone is as ancient as going out to crank the engine with a spanner to start it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Gumbo wrote: »
    The i3 has send directions through the BMW connected app too.

And the i3 has wireless CarPlay as well.

iniall wrote: »
    And the i3 has wireless CarPlay as well.

That doesn't work if you don't want to use an iPhone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

zg3409 wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned here but I see Tesla Belfast service centre on Boucher road has the Tesla sign up, and some model 3s were delivered there today, probably demo cars. It looks like they might be open by end of September.

There is no plans for superchargers there.

The price and of the old Ford dealer site was an asking price of UK£100,000 per year rent.

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2020/07/01/news/tesla-acquires-site-on-belfast-s-boucher-road-1990999/

Store in Belfast supposedly open today. People in the north still going on ferry to UK to collect their cars, so not yet fully integrated into the delivery system. It might just be a press opening event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wonder if in future you could collect UK CPO cars there?
    Would be a lot easier than my experience, when I vowed never again!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Wonder if in future you could collect UK CPO cars there?

There is no future for importing cars from the UK.

unkel wrote: »

Still a few months and there will still be VRT exemption so if Paddy dealers charging silly money might still be an option for EVs.
    Whatever gets more EVs on the road.
    (Did get mine in before end of year though)

I bet they'll find a way to facilitate imports - there's no way we can do without that supply chain.
    To go from 100,000 UK imports each year to zero, overnight, it's going to be monumental & cause untold damage IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

When the pound collapses, an additional 10% duty won't make much of a difference.

10% duty and 23% VAT on top of each other and not just over the cost of the car, but also over the transport and insurance cost to get it here. In other words an EV imported from the UK will become about 40% more expensive (not even taking into account VRT)

Indeed, minus whatever Sterling drops though like you say :D

Everything else is liveable with, it’s the VAT that’s the kick in the teeth

Everything else is liveable with, it’s the VAT that’s the kick in the teeth

No problem on a VAT qualifying car - just pay the 21% Irish VAT on import, skip the UK 20%.

1% + 10% tariff is nothing, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Kramer wrote: »
    No problem on a VAT qualifying car - just pay the 21% Irish VAT on import, skip the UK 20%.

1% + 10% tariff is nothing, really.

How is it possible to avoid the UK Vat?

• Advertisement

Nedved85 wrote: »
    How is it possible to avoid the UK Vat?

By buying a VAT qualifying car, for export.

Advertisement