Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Kramer wrote: »
    By buying a VAT qualifying car, for export.

I wouldn’t assume that’s a certainty post Brexit, it’s an EU ruling you don’t pay VAT twice in two member states

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    10% duty and 23% VAT on top of each other and not just over the cost of the car, but also over the transport and insurance cost to get it here. In other words an EV imported from the UK will become about 40% more expensive (not even taking into account VRT)

Indeed, minus whatever Sterling drops though like you say :D
    Nedved85 wrote: »
    How is it possible to avoid the UK Vat?
    Same as buying from US.
    You buy ex-tax for import.
    I've bought cars from the US and imported them. You pay the 10% + 23% on the way in but you avoid the US sales tax. It will be the same from the UK in all likelihood, buy for export.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    It will be the same from the UK in all likelihood, buy for export.

Doesn't work for private sales / second hand cars. VAT is tax on added value, so it is only charged on new cars. It is not charged again when the car is later sold second hand.

But I hope you are right about Sterling dropping after Brexit making the cars so cheap for our strong Euro that those taxes don't matter. Unlike yourself, I love bringing in cars from the UK :D

Doesn't work for private sales / second hand cars. VAT is tax on added value, so it is only charged on new cars. It is not charged again when the car is later sold second hand.

But I hope you are right about Sterling dropping after Brexit making the cars so cheap for our strong Euro that those taxes don't matter. Unlike yourself, I love bringing in cars from the UK :D

You can buy some second hand cars EX Vat too. It's different to the US where even second hand cars have sales tax.

I would be more interested in buying up North, taking advantage of UK stock but not having to travel. With the new Tesla showroom there, the UK tesla CPO stock should now be "shippable" there

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I would be more interested in buying up North, taking advantage of UK stock but not having to travel. With the new Tesla showroom there, the UK tesla CPO stock should now be "shippable" there

Now that would make the cost of getting a car here a whole lot cheaper/easier as belfast isnt too hard to get to. 2-3 hrs from most of the country, saves flying and getting a boat back.

Also they would be bringing other cars over anyway for new deliveries

• Advertisement

Yeah. I vowed after going to Manchester South, that I would never buy a car from Tesla UK again. Way too much hassle.

Yeah. I vowed after going to Manchester South, that I would never buy a car from Tesla UK again. Way too much hassle.

The only hassle for me was the actual buying and waiting process which took 3 weeks. Once I had actually bought the car and transferred the money, the trip over to the UK the next day to bring the car home was super easy and smooth

I'd bring a car over every week if it made me a grand or two each time...

I'd happily pay someone a grand to have collected and delivered my new Tesla from the UK with proper insurance and ensuring all docs and cables were present.

Sounds like we might do business in future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

With Brexit in mind, I wonder what would happen if you bought a CPO car from UK stock and it was delivered to the NI centre. Would there be import issues from NI?

• Advertisement

With Brexit in mind, I wonder what would happen if you bought a CPO car from UK stock and it was delivered to the NI centre. Would there be import issues from NI?
    Unless there;'s a deal to the contrary, NI and GB would both be outside the EU and thus it would be the same as importing from England for tax reasons.

Unless there;'s a deal to the contrary, NI and GB would both be outside the EU and thus it would be the same as importing from England for tax reasons.

I was just wondering if there might be a little loophole in there somewhere, with NI having a foot in both camps, and the border in the Irish sea. Wishful thinking, I suppose. :p

I was just wondering if there might be a little loophole in there somewhere, with NI having a foot in both camps, and the border in the Irish sea. Wishful thinking, I suppose. :p
    Unless there's a deal, NI does not have a foot in both camps.
    That was in the instance there was a deal and the backstop was accepted.

Unless there's a deal, NI does not have a foot in both camps.
    That was in the instance there was a deal and the backstop was accepted.

There is a deal (Withdrawal Agreement) signed and ratified by both sides. Even if there was to be no trade deal, this deal is still in force. Part of this deal includes the backstop, or frontstop as it turned out after Boris and Leo met.

The Withdrawal agreement is a binding international agreement and if the UK don't follow through on it's implementation, the consequences for the UK would be unthinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Anybody brought an X in recently?

I'm considering importing a Model X 90D from the UK but the ROS site only lists a Model X E100D ... VRT is reasonable at about 4.7k but just wondering if the fact that the actual 90D isn't listed means they'll try to skewer me? :)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

drumm23 wrote: »
    Anybody brought an X in recently?

I'm considering importing a Model X 90D from the UK but the ROS site only lists a Model X E100D ... VRT is reasonable at about 4.7k but just wondering if the fact that the actual 90D isn't listed means they'll try to skewer me? :)

Cheers!

I imported an 2018 75D a few months ago. There were no Tesla X on the VRT website at the time so Revenue mulled over it for a few weeks, rolled some dice, multiplied the number a few times and eventually valued it at 90k so a 7.5k VRT bill!

I appealed and pointed out that I could buy a brand new X (with MCUv2 and HW3) for about that price or a second hand 100D for less and they rejected it saying I was comparing different cars to mine.

Not a happy bunny.

That's very unfortunate, Mark :(

It was the opposite for myself and several other Model S buyers in this forum. We all got a substantial or even full refunds on the VRT we paid based on our appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

markpb wrote: »
    I imported an 2018 75D a few months ago. There were no Tesla X on the VRT website at the time so Revenue mulled over it for a few weeks, rolled some dice, multiplied the number a few times and eventually valued it at 90k so a 7.5k VRT bill!

I appealed and pointed out that I could buy a brand new X (with MCUv2 and HW3) for about that price or a second hand 100D for less and they rejected it saying I was comparing different cars to mine.

Not a happy bunny.

Oh no! I knew there'd be a catch. They now list an "E100D 450KW" in the system ... which is presumably a typo of the P100D (tremendous achievement to squeeze a typo in there).

God it's such an infuriating system. Thanks for the reply though, I do appreciate it.

zg3409 wrote: »

Looks good! Had a big chat with one of the new Belfast guys when I was in Sandyford a few weeks ago, he was work shadowing in Dublin and he couldn't wait to start in Belfast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

That's very unfortunate, Mark :(

It was the opposite for myself and several other Model S buyers in this forum. We all got a substantial or even full refunds on the VRT we paid based on our appeals.

I think my problem was the lack of other Model X to compare it with and even fewer 75Ds in Ireland. There are plenty of Model S for sale so it's easy to show a market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

markpb wrote: »
    I think my problem was the lack of other Model X to compare it with and even fewer 75Ds in Ireland. There are plenty of Model S for sale so it's easy to show a market price.

Go to level 2 of process. Involving appeal process. All on revenue.ie

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/appeals/second-stage.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Can we make this a general Tesla chat thread?

Tesla seem to be in free fall

Under 200 a share now

Anyone bought stock at this price?

Almost lowest in 5 years

Just bought 2 shares for the craic :pac:

Won't hold on to it for long lol, too volatile

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Tesla-Faces-Herculean-Task-As-Share-Price-Tanks.html

I think this could be it for them

Sad if it ends like this, like there cars

We've been saying it for years, so who knows

Elon will have to go?

He's gone awol recently

Delusional taxi fleets/autopilot crap (that won't happen for at least 10 years).

A truck that can't possibly be made with current battery tech.

List goes on and on

Less than a year from now if VW are serious ( they might be :) ) this is going to leave Tesla as a smudge on the road.

Looking at the OP some time ago and... I guess the current Tesla stock price answers all worries the OP had lol

Under $200 a share. And here we are a bit over year later with over $2,200 a share!

I feel sorry for all those idiots who short sold the company. What a foolish and extremely risky game they played. Hope they didn't "invest" so much that it ruined their finances for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

peposhi wrote: »
    Looking at the OP some time ago and... I guess the current Tesla stock price answers all worries the OP had lol

The OP is not far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Under $200 a share. And here we are a bit over year later with over $2,200 a share!

I feel sorry for all those idiots who short sold the company. What a foolish and extremely risky game they played. Hope they didn't "invest" so much that it ruined their finances for life.

It will be back down to $442 on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭digiman

I bought 10 shares at $178 around a year ago, sold a few weeks later and made about 25% profit, was thrilled with the nice little gain, would only be worth $22k today!! Lol

You and me both digiman!

I always reckoned TSLA was a high risk share and never touched it, but when the price got very low last year after a few incidents / negative news I couldn't resist and I bought some, but I took my profit a few months later at the first good news. Had I kept them and sold them now, I would have been able to buy a brand new Tesla with the profits :D

Bitcoin ? very high risk but can be very good return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

D9wR.gif

Advertisement