Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

unkel wrote: »
    Under $200 a share. And here we are a bit over year later with over $2,200 a share!

I feel sorry for all those idiots who short sold the company. What a foolish and extremely risky game they played. Hope they didn't "invest" so much that it ruined their finances for life.

Short selling a volatile stock is madness, but IMO the current share price is insanely separated from reality.

Tesla is now seeing real competition. The Polestar 2 has about 10% less real world range, is a bit slower but much better finished. I love the efficiency, performance, charging speed and "otherness" of Teslas, but I don't think most buyers share that set of priorities, as evidenced by the crossover pandemic.

Tesla hype is largely an American phenomenon. Maybe the next generation of international car buyers will have shaken off their parents' preoccupation with panel gaps and paint quality and embraced the terror of autonomous driving, but the current generation may drop Tesla if they can buy a car with largely the same powertrain that satisfies their traditional priorities.

The stories of horribly built Model Ys suggest either that Elon still doesn't care about build quality or that build quality is harder to replicate than powertrain development. But they'll fix it in Germany, right...?

Anyway, I continue to hold the only Tesla stock that's reasonably priced. On my driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Haha, yes agreed there Lumen. My only Tesla stock is the one on my drive too. I do hold shares in VW and Hyundai though. That says it all about my view really.

That said, the TSLA shareprice is overhyped, but Tesla as a maker of cars is not imho. They still do have a lot of catching up to do to match European premium cars and the precision building of the Koreans, but in many ways they are very far ahead. Or so said the VW CEO recently. And that's the only car giant that is really catching up. I wouldn't be surprised if some others won't make it into the 2030s...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

See Tesla did not make S&P500, boom, loses 21% of share value in a day, ouchie

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Worst drop in company history.

Still very high if you use the data and multiply the post split price by 5

I wonder what the reason was for the drop ? it was quite severe really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wonder what the reason was for the drop ? it was quite severe really.
    Initially profit taking, then the tech industry shares all dropped, then they missed the 500.

It did not make the S&P Top 500, once it hits this then Tesla will automatically attract Institutional/Unit Fund investors who diversify their portfolio amongst the Top 500.
    Recent stock price gains were anticipating this

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Tesla destination charger at Lidl Swords appears to have been long since replaced by an EasyGo 22kW AC unit, yet it still shows up as a destination charger in Tesla navigation!!!

It’s a tad annoying... any way to report it to them so they remove it (or stop calling it a Tesla destination charger).

I passed a car transporter today on the M1 northbound leaving Dublin, with 3 used Model S onboard (one was a 66 reg).

Could this be a relocation of CPO cars to Tesla Belfast?

Would be useful in future for CPO buyers here who'd then only need to go to Belfast as opposed to mainland U.K. (before December 31st anyway when it all gets turned upside down again...)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice spot. I can't see it being anything else than that, probably ship landed at Dublin docks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Surely it would be prudent for Sandyford to have a CPO offering in the future.

It's a way of getting people into the brand via 2nd hand examples. Without the faff of UK importing.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Surely it would be prudent for Sandyford to have a CPO offering in the future.

It's a way of getting people into the brand via 2nd hand examples. Without the faff of UK importing.

I'd imagine though there's not a whole lot of CPO's coming up on Irish plates, whereas in the U.K. it's such a bigger market, and the turn around of cars over there would be huge compared to here..

..and they give such poor trade in value here, a would bepurchaser from Tesla Ireland would be better off selling privately

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Gents (and Ladies, of course!)

Test driving this tomorrow, P90DL ... anybody any ideas on what I should check in particular?
    Is there any way of knowing whether it still has Free Supercharging from the menu? It should have it but would like to be sure.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/tesla/model-s/fpa/202009093529378

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

drumm23 wrote: »

Test driving this tomorrow, P90DL ... anybody any ideas on what I should check in particular?
    Is there any way of knowing whether it still has Free Supercharging from the menu? It should have it but would like to be sure.

Thanks!

Get more information about the warranty. They may just mean the battery warranty.

Check the range , the 90 packs can have bad range loss.

Nothing else specific I can think of. The millage/age is too low to expect MCU issues yet.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Get more information about the warranty. They may just mean the battery warranty.

Check the range , the 90 packs can have bad range loss.

Nothing else specific I can think of. The millage/age is too low to expect MCU issues yet.

Thanks! What's the best way of judging the range loss?
    Just look at the miles it's indicating versus the charge and extrapolate from that?

A few youtube videos say the sunroof can be troublesome, so I'll have a fiddle at that too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks!

Stunning car.
    Check that the door handles are operating smoothly.
    Check under the bonnet where the wipers would pass, any marking would indicate the motor is on the way out and must be replaced. Twanged told me it was common and had started on mine. Had it replaced in the front garden by Tesla for €395.

Check the screen for yellow marking and ensure the touch screen is ok in all four corners. I sure you can press each icon.

A fellow Boardsie is selling a similar car, a P85DL. Same performance I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Hi All

Put the 100 pound down on a CPO tesla in the UK and have a few questions

In one of the emails i was told i could collect the car from one of the following locations:

Your car can be collected from one of the following Tesla delivery locations:
    · London Dartford

· Birmingham

· Bristol

· Leeds

· Manchester

· Edinburgh

However, when i put in my parcel motel address, i was given the option of collecting from Belfast, so hopefully this isn't a mistake and means that going forwards, we can collect from there and save the hassle of a day trip to england.

Also, in the link with the photos, there are a few scuffs or scratches, do tesla repair them or tidy them up before i collect the car.

If putting down such large sums, i'd like to think they'd retouch things like this.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Stunning car.
    Check under the bonnet where the wipers would pass, any marking would indicate the motor is on the way out and must be replaced. Twanged told me it was common and had started on mine. Had it replaced in the front garden by Tesla for €395.

Check the screen for yellow marking and ensure the touch screen is ok in all four corners. I sure you can press each icon.

That's great Gumbo thanks!

I'd be looking privately - or would import - except I have a car to sell and don't fancy the hell of DoneDeal ;)

Pop the frunk a few times, if it doesn’t release every time the actuator needs replacing

• Advertisement

Test drove the P90DL today. Very impressed. It's in good condition.
    I couldn't figure out whether you could get the battery to report a percentage ... I took a few photos of the various menus; from what I can garner it does likely have Free Supercharging ... I couldn't find anything to indicate exactly when the standard four year warranty is up (it's a 162 reg so it must be around now).

IMG-0802.jpg

IMG-0818.jpg

IMG-0817.jpg

All I'm trying to figure out now is what the residuals will be like ...
    selling at €60k today with a dealer means privately it's worth maybe €55k (max) .... so I buy it and drive it for 3 years; it's a seven year old car at that point, but a good spec'd one and probably quite low mileage.... what do people think it would make? I'd be guessing €35k? That reasonable, maybe a bit pessimistic for a ludicrous model, closer to €39k?

It's so hard to figure out the depreciation curve on these!

Free supercharging will be in the account on Tesla once registered.
    I’ll check to see if it’s mentioned on mine shortly.
    The battery %!is just a setting change in the display menu.

How did you find the performance?

All I'm trying to figure out now is what the residuals will be like ...
    selling at €60k today with a dealer means privately it's worth maybe €55k (max) .... so I buy it and drive it for 3 years; it's a seven year old car at that point, but a good spec'd one and probably quite low mileage.... what do people think it would make? I'd be guessing €35k? That reasonable, maybe a bit pessimistic for a ludicrous model, closer to €39k?

It's so hard to figure out the depreciation curve on these!

60K for 4 year old car is a bit mad anyway lol, good performance car though is it really worth 60 K to you ?

Hard to know what it will be worth in 3 years, from a technological view I can only see things like increased battery Kwh, reduced charge times Improved Auto Pilot in the years to come, other than that a motor is a motor and a battery a battery, key thing will be battery life and the 90 Kwh looses capacity faster than the 85 so look into this more maybe it's certainly something I think most people looking into a tesla will be looking out for but it's got great performance and that alone is a key selling point.

How did you find the performance?

In ludicrous mode, when you floor it, it actually makes you feel a bit queasy.

I've owned some fast cars, M3, M6, RS4, SL55, Golf R ... and it makes them all feel completely pedestrian.

I found the auto pilot even more impressive though ... and it looks like this car only has AP1 ... but turning it on on the Sandyford dual carriageway and you can just let it do its thing ... amazing!

60K for 4 year old car is a bit mad anyway lol, good performance car though is it really worth 60 K to you ?

Hard to know what it will be worth in 3 years, from a technological view I can only see things like increased battery Kwh, reduced charge times Improved Auto Pilot in the years to come, other than that a motor is a motor and a battery a battery, key thing will be battery life and the 90 Kwh looses capacity faster than the 85 so look into this more maybe it's certainly something I think most people looking into a tesla will be looking out for but it's got great performance and that alone is a key selling point.

Yes - I think those are all fair points.

I mean, at the price, I was tempted by a GTR.. but I'm sick of the mad tax and the huge maintenance with the highly tuned ICE engines ... and even then it's still slower than the Tesla :eek:

I guess I'm speculating that the Ludicrous model holds a touch more value because there will be a small cohort of people (childish men probably :D) who will pay a small premium for a car that accelerates faster than ....a Ferrari Enzo!

Yes - I think those are all fair points.

I mean, at the price, I was tempted by a GTR.. but I'm sick of the mad tax and the huge maintenance with the highly tuned ICE engines ... and even then it's still slower than the Tesla :eek:

I guess I'm speculating that the Ludicrous model holds a touch more value because there will be a small cohort of people (childish men probably :D) who will pay a small premium for a car that accelerates faster than ....a Ferrari Enzo!

I'm only guessing that it will hold it's value only depending on how battery degradation goes but research the 90 Kwh battery degradation, perhaps it's something that will level off, perhaps it's something that will accelerate but one thing for certain, if the battery isn't in the best shape when you go to sell it it won't be worth much though it should still have a warranty but even so if it's known to have accelerated degradation it won't do good for resale value.

Acceleration is good but I'm not sure it will be as much fun on the back roads as the i3, it's much lighter. Straight line performance is of course mental, I've yet to drive one.

MY advice to you would be wait until you can find one for around 40K Euro's and keep the 20K after all, it will be much the same car only higher mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Yes selling my P85DL. Big advantage is I still have 2 years and 60K Klms warranty left. Give me a shout if interested.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/p85d-ludicrous-upgrade-0-60-2-8-secs/25859097

Stunning car.

Smck1983 wrote: »
    Yes selling my P85DL. Big advantage is I still have 2 years and 60K Klms warranty left. Give me a shout if interested.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/p85d-ludicrous-upgrade-0-60-2-8-secs/25859097

Thanks, looks great - problem is I have a luxo barge to trade which won't be easy to off load on DD and makes the dealer route my best option probably :)

• Advertisement

In ludicrous mode, when you floor it, it actually makes you feel a bit queasy.

I've owned some fast cars, M3, M6, RS4, SL55, Golf R ... and it makes them all feel completely pedestrian.

I found the auto pilot even more impressive though ... and it looks like this car only has AP1 ... but turning it on on the Sandyford dual carriageway and you can just let it do its thing ... amazing!

Where are you based?
    Pity there’s no active Tesla meet ups to come have a chat and a look around the cars before making the plunge.

I have a P85+ and I tell you now, I won’t be selling until a P85D or above is affordable to me so I’m very jealous (in a good way) on you PD owners :)

Advertisement