Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Politics of general taxation is for the politics forum not a Tesla Talk thread take it over here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Supercharged at Birdhill last week for the first time, shows 6 stalls on the Tesla App but there are 8 stalls in Birdhill (but two had a traffic cone nearby), just wondering anyone know what the story is with the two "spares".
    If they are broken then the Tesla App and Nav screen in the car would surely show 8 with two broken?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

slave1 wrote: »
    Supercharged at Birdhill last week for the first time, shows 6 stalls on the Tesla App but there are 8 stalls in Birdhill (but two had a traffic cone nearby), just wondering anyone know what the story is with the two "spares".
    If they are broken then the Tesla App and Nav screen in the car would surely show 8 with two broken?

I believe their offline permanently (or perhaps were never activated yet).

People have been posting photo's of them being Ice'd, and others have said it's fine as they're not used...

maybe power constraints, or just 6 is enough for now, and they can switch the other 2 on when they need them??

6 is plenty for now, in my very limited Supercharging in Ireland and Scotland I've only ever seen one other Tesla charging twice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

6 is plenty for now, in my very limited Supercharging in Ireland and Scotland I've only ever seen one other Tesla charging twice

Every time I've been to birdhill the service station in general was very busy (would be heading from Dublin to Kerry for the weekend so peak times) and half the Tesla spots iced. Last time I was there 4 of the 6 chargers were in use, I had to move from the one I first plugged into too as it was dreadfully slow. It won't be long before it starts hitting capacity, I'm seeing a lot of 2020 Model 3s on the road in Dublin these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed a lot of Model 3 in Dublin. And from my travels this year, a lot of Dublin reg Model 3 all over Ireland too!

Now of course they can charge at Ionity or the ESB CCS chargers (at 50kW though LOL) too. But why would they when they can charge much faster and / or much cheaper at superior and less busy and less ICEd superchargers?

Watched part of a Nyland video last night and he stated by far the best things about Teslas is the supercharger network. I think in general he has a point, particularly in areas or situations where other networks are pretty pathetic like in the north of Norway. And of course, in Ireland although Ionity here is picking up nicely (but expensively)

Catch 22 I suppose, which comes first the Superchargers or the Cars? Hopefully, more cars then more Supercharger Hubs, at the end of the day the exclusive Supercharger network is a massive selling point for Tesla.
    I planned on arriving at Birdhill at 8% and had zero reservations in doing so because it's a proper multi-stall hub, absolutely no way would I plan on arriving at 8% at and eCars stop, indeed on the way home Sunday I passed by Galway Plaza and the Hi Power unit was ICEd

I planned on arriving at Birdhill at 8% and had zero reservations in doing so because it's a proper multi-stall hub, absolutely no way would I plan on arriving at 8% at and eCars stop

Yeah, it's just so comforting to know that wherever your going, if there's a Supercharger stop along the way, it's almost a certainty that you'll be able to get a charge...

Few weeks back we left Dublin for a spin up to Banbridge, and only left on 37% because we knew we could Supercharge 30 minutes up the road. Not in a million years would I have left on 37% assuming/expecting to use an eCars FCP to complete the journey.

We arrived on 19% and got enough charge to get us up to Banbridge and back down to the Supercharger on the way home.. which we didn't need as while in Banbridge, the exclusive Tesla destination charger topped us up enough to get us all the way home....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I like the look of the ID4 but the no.1 concern anyone will have with EVs is being able to reach their destination without running out of juice. The Supercharger network even in Ireland makes a huge difference to overcoming that issue, and makes taking the car abroad something you barely even need to plan. I'd be hard pushed to leave it behind.

Ionity can be used be any EV (including mine) and are just 4 chargers to a hub so I'd be a lot less confident in relying on that network.

Every time I've been to birdhill the service station in general was very busy (would be heading from Dublin to Kerry for the weekend so peak times) and half the Tesla spots iced. Last time I was there 4 of the 6 chargers were in use, I had to move from the one I first plugged into too as it was dreadfully slow. It won't be long before it starts hitting capacity, I'm seeing a lot of 2020 Model 3s on the road in Dublin these days.

I've seen ionity at Kill North ICE'd loads of times, this is because they don't put the chargers in place of petrol pumps and people will simply see it as any other free parking space and if an EV isn't there then see no issue with it, because they'll be there only an hour lol, very few people will use a petrol pump space as a parking space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

very few people will use a petrol pump space as a parking space.

Sometimes I wonder if we should do this until the message gets through :D

JohnC. wrote: »

Just look at the mega charging stations that Bjorn pulls into...
    32 Tesla Superchargers, with at least another 8-14 other DC chargers..

all laid out like a garage forecourt..

Here, they're just always installed in spots that are and were regular parking spaces, so when Johnny Gobsh1te pulls in in his Avensis for a coffee and a sh1te, he'll think nothing of parking in a space that just looks like a regular space to him. I doubt he'd even cop the EV charger at that particular spot, probably think it's air or water........

Makes you wonder why all those ICE cars park at services if they don't need to fill up? I thought most owners needed 800km range without having to stop? :pac:

If we did you can be sure it would be a hot topic on liveline lol, Joe loves anti EV People on the radio.

If we did you can be sure it would be a hot topic on liveline lol, Joe loves anti EV People on the radio.

Concerned caller: Jaysus Joe! I pulled up for me drop of petrol, like I do every week, and it was.. it was......
    Joe: Yeh, Sure, Go On..
    Concerned Caller: It was a bleeding electric cable Joe!!!! I count get a drop of petrol out of it!!!!
    Joe: It's a toaster you should of brought Anne, a bleedin toaster! World going mad I tells ya..... Anyway, over to the newsroom for de headlines......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They were switched off (by Tesla) as the circle k chargers there needed the supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

A couple of new features rolling out in an update.

Bluetooth device priority, so it can prioritise your phone over your partners, for example.

You can also put a PIN on the glovebox. If I’m reading it right, that’s for 3 and Y as they are only opened via the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

A couple of new features rolling out in an update.

3D view/birds eye view coming soon................

Just an €8,000 upgrade for non FSD owners :rolleyes:.

https://www.torquenews.com/11826/vector-space-birds-eye-view-coming-tesla-cars-full-self-driving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

That's crazy.
    Wonder how good it is. Must catch up on some Youtube later

• Advertisement

Looks pretty beta to me :D

Very interesting to see how this pans out though. To paraphrase George Hotz (CEO of comma.ai and the first person to hack an iPhone - when he was just 17): whoever "wins self driving" is going to make an enormous amount of money

unkel wrote: »
    Makes you wonder why all those ICE cars park at services if they don't need to fill up? I thought most owners needed 800km range without having to stop? :pac:

I guess it's the difference between choosing to stop and being forced to...

Very interesting to see how this pans out though. To paraphrase George Hotz (CEO of comma.ai and the first person to hack an iPhone - when he was just 17): whoever "wins self driving" is going to make an enormous amount of money

and with this release the FSD cost will go up by ~$2k from next week!

and with this release the FSD cost will go up by ~$2k from next week!

US only apparently

It's beta, MVP, but no one else is even in Alpha yet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arestifamiliar

Does anyone here have an eflow tag on their M3 ? wondering where is best to place it ....

Does anyone here have an eflow tag on their M3 ? wondering where is best to place it ....
    You have to put it in the designated area on the windscreen near the mirror otherwise it wont be read

ELM327 wrote: »
    You have to put it in the designated area on the windscreen near the mirror otherwise it wont be read

+++
    because the "plain" part of the windscreen has a protective filament in it that you cannot see and it blocks the signal, took me ages to get mine placed and reading...must go behind those black dots...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Advertisement