Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So Musk just said FSD Monthly rental to be made available sometime next year....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arestifamiliar

slave1 wrote: »
    +++
    because the "plain" part of the windscreen has a protective filament in it that you cannot see and it blocks the signal, took me ages to get mine placed and reading...must go behind those black dots...

do you have an Model 3 ? I don't see the usual marked black spot near the mirror , I don't see any spot for it ....
    I think i'll put it in the tax disc holder spare slot see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So Musk just said FSD Monthly rental to be made available sometime next year....

Very interesting. Anyone else going to guess how much it will be? I'll have a first go: USD25 per day. It's money for nothing too (as in near zero variable costs)

If Tesla will indeed be the first to FSD (massive if), it will make them an absolute fortune (many, many times more than they could ever make from cars)

And good news for the owners of existing cars with FSD too, their cars just had a negative depreciation of a few hundred quid in the last few days :D

25 USD a day would be quite expensive I think. 125 a week would be a lot on top of car payments. 500 a month.

do you have an Model 3 ? I don't see the usual marked black spot near the mirror , I don't see any spot for it ....
    I think i'll put it in the tax disc holder spare slot see what happens

Nope, model S, perhaps post in the Model 3 thread

• Advertisement

You wouldn't pay it permanently. Paying per day is for holidays and long trips. I'd gladly pay USD25 if I had to do a (boring) 1000km trip on a day and it had FSD without nagging (I wouldn't mind facial recognition camera to check that I'm alert though). If you want it permanently, you'd just have to fork out the USD5000 USD7000 USD9000 and going up LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

unkel wrote: »
    Very interesting. Anyone else going to guess how much it will be? I'll have a first go: USD25 per day. It's money for nothing too (as in near zero variable costs)

It all depends on whether it's genuine FSD. If it isn't, which it won't be, then it's just fancy cruise control. I would pay maybe $1/day for that.

But even if it was FSD, the problem is that the value varies wildly depending on circumstances.

If I could sit in the back of a Model Y and be to chauffered to an office, saving me two hours a day, I'd pay a lot. Maybe $25 day.

But that $25/day works out at $750/mo, which is a lot. Why would I not just offer my employer to take a $500/mo pay cut to WFH?

The problem is that they've boxed themselves in with the $10k purchase price. That puts a floor on the daily rate. Over 5 years, that's about $6/day.

And there's no way I'd pay $6/day ($200/mo) for fancy cruise control.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm guessing it'll be a monthly subscription like the Premium Connectivity, so in that sense, if I was planning a 1-2-3 week driving holiday somewhere, then yeah, I'd consider going for it for the month, why not?? Surely FSD is only going to get better*.

*Presumably all the Teslas in Ireland are 'learning' our roads as well as typical scenario's, and feeding all that data back to Tesla HQ, so the more Tesla's on Irish roads, the quicker they'll get the data they need to make FSD (more) usable in Ireland. It'd be the same for every country in the world, they need cars out there collecting the real world data so as to fine tune FSD for all the various scenarios it will encounter.

25 USD a day would be quite expensive I think. 125 a week would be a lot on top of car payments. 500 a month.

Agreed, at that price it come close to 18months payment or whatever FSD will be late next year....

More like $125/month

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

review of the new fsd sw https://youtu.be/7nhBTSg4zWQ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does anyone here have an eflow tag on their M3 ? wondering where is best to place it ....

RTFM :)

It’s covered in that. In LHD cars, it’s the area to the right of the rear view mirror housing. Just double check for RHD whether it’s the same or mirrored.

Very much beta, but pretty impressive all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Agreed, at that price it come close to 18months payment or whatever FSD will be late next year....

More like $125/month

I am actually thinking it will be more. At that price is cheaper to rent over 5 years.

I think it will be somewhere between 3 - 5 years price prorated.

jhegarty wrote: »
    I am actually thinking it will be more. At that price is cheaper to rent over 5 years.

I think it will be somewhere between 3 - 5 years price prorated.

To maximise revenue a staggered system would probably work best. As in something like:

$25 per day
    $80 per week
    $180 per month
    $1500 per year

All essentially free money for Tesla. The shareholders and the share price are gonna love this when or if this is getting real

Where are you going with those prices Unkel ? lol.

I wouldn't pay for such thing until it's proper FSD, paying that money to keep my hand on the wheel is laughable.

Pricing obviously only once it is working. If it ever gets there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wouldnt be paying that. AP is fine here.

Even the $25 is a lot cheaper than getting a taxi home and pay for overnight parking if you've been on the sauce in town :p

(this would obviously only work if and when the car would ever be fully level 5 autonomous and approved to be so)

Oh yeah, level 5 where I can drive in and it drives me home, absolutely. If there is the possibility where Tesla asthe manufacturer of the FSD as opposed to me as the driver assume the legal responsibility for the car's actions and allows me to sit in the back, hammered, then absolutely. A permanently available personal taxi for a few hundred quid a month is worth it

But that won't happen for years, decades probably.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, level 5 where I can drive in and it drives me home, absolutely. If there is the possibility where Tesla asthe manufacturer of the FSD as opposed to me as the driver assume the legal responsibility for the car's actions and allows me to sit in the back, hammered, then absolutely.

The plan is indeed for Tesla to be legally responsible. For that you need to take out your car insurance....with Tesla.

Lots of opportunities for Tesla (or whoever else wins FSD) to make giant amounts of money from this. Think about it. The world's taxi fleet would become redundant and Tesla would get all of its revenue. Pretty much overnight :eek:

Reminds me a bit of when the winter king in GOT raises his hands and all those who recently died, get up and are ready for action. We live in interesting times :D

• Advertisement

Yes, it's in touching distance of functionality. But no where near regulatory approval or hands off level 5 unrestricted.
    The FSD now being promised is still level 3.5-4, requiring active driver supervision and hands on wheel. Waymo had better than this already.

There's a pot of money for the winner of this as you say.Even selling an FSD car at 100-150k, taxi firms and delivery companies will buy them. Cheaper and more reliable than a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Do Teslas sold in Europe have the same supension components and configuration as Teslas sold in China and the US?
    Tesla is recalling 48,442 of its Model S and Model X electric vehicles, which were made in the U.S. and sold to customers in China, over potentially faulty and unsafe front and rear suspensions.

The China State Administration for Market Regulation announced the recall Thursday night.

Tesla’s share price was down nearly 2% on Friday.

China’s auto industry news site, Gasgoo, reported that the recall affects 29,193 imported Model Ss and Model Xs, produced between Sept. 17, 2013, and Aug. 16, 2017, and 19,249 imported Model Ss produced between Sept. 17, 2013, and Oct. 15, 2018. The cars were produced at Tesla’s Fremont, California, vehicle assembly plant.

The U.S. vehicle safety authority, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, has not said whether a similar recall in the U.S. may be necessary.

The Chinese agency has ordered Tesla to replace the rear linkages of their left and right front suspension and the upper linkages of the left and right rear suspension with an improved one for all the cars that are part of the recall at no cost to the owners.

In 2016, Tesla CEO Elon Musk defended himself against similar complaints of potentially unsafe or faulty suspensions in the Model S in the U.S.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/23/tesla-recalls-model-s/x-cars-in-china-over-faulty-suspension.html

Even the $25 is a lot cheaper than getting a taxi home and pay for overnight parking if you've been on the sauce in town :p

(this would obviously only work if and when the car would ever be fully level 5 autonomous and approved to be so)

Yeah, but how many times a week do you intend to get hammered? :D

Maybe they should introduce per-minute/km charging, then you'd be able to do a direct comparison with a homotaxi.

Lumen wrote: »
    you'd be able to do a direct comparison with a homotaxi.

Freudian slip? :eek:

Freudian slip? :eek:

No. If a taxi driven by a robot is a robotaxi, then a taxi driven by a human is a homotaxi.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Surely it would be a humataxi.

liamog wrote: »
    Surely it would be a humataxi.

I think I have my etymology wrong. homo- as a prefix means "the same".

I think the correct term is therefore anthropotaxi.

Although that probably describes a taxi that is human, rather than a taxi driven by a human.

d7aa5cad-4531-47af-81b1-ae0c5dc7cd28.jpg

Has anyone seen the youtube videos of the FSD beta in action?
    I've seen a few and to be honest, for a very early beta release, it's very impressive

In some of the videos it takes roundabouts, drives on single lane roads with only one line at the edge of the road, etc. It's impressive. To be honest if the euro experience is the same as the US (unlikely) then I will take up the FSD part of my cybertruck order.

Yeah it's a lot better but still far away from FSD because you can never relax and trust it and the E.U will probably make you keep your hand on the wheel for years yet.

• Advertisement

Oh no, it's a very limited early release beta. I expect the finished product will be a lot different.
    They even say in the caveat how unpredictable it is. I expect this is a data mining excersise

Advertisement