Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It's the first time I have seen anything that could become FSD. Still not paying €7,500 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The problem is it will be more than 7.5k when it is fully released.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ELM327 wrote: »

If it works well in Ireland, then I'll probably subscribe for a month or 2 during each summer when we'd be expecting to be doing more driving down the country/to other countries etc.... but I don't/won't need it in the depths of winter doing the school run. so in that sense a subscription model would suit us much better..

That's fine, Elon can stuff it if he wants to only make it affordable for big commercial use.

If I can get to work and back on the M9/M7/N7 and back with little input from me than I'll be happy enough with basic AP or if they offer a more advanced version without FSD I'd probably buy it, haven't yet decided whether or not I will be getting a M3 anyway should really be saving 6 years paying for cars is a lot :eek: but will have to pay 15 K to own i3 so what do I do ? haha + I would rather trade than hand car back to Frank Keane because there is a large scratch on the rear wheel arch they will probably screw me for if I hand it back.

That's all well and good but I'm willing to gamble 7.5k that my cybertruck will have , at some point, the ability to hands off drive me home from the pub. That could be 15 years away. But I wont be selling my CT. And if I wait, it either won't happen, saving me 7.5k, or it will happen - more likely - and it will cost a lot more then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah it's a lot better but still far away from FSD because you can never relax and trust it and the E.U will probably make you keep your hand on the wheel for years yet.

Most self driving systems, Tesla excepted, do not require you to hold the wheel. They use driver monitoring instead.

Musk was always opposed to this, but their are signs that he might have changed his mind

Of course once you truly go to FSD (autonomous driving level 5) you don't need any of that. The car doesn't even need a steering wheel or any other controls any more.

If it works well in Ireland, then I'll probably subscribe for a month or 2 during each summer when we'd be expecting to be doing more driving down the country/to other countries etc.... but I don't/won't need it in the depths of winter doing the school run. so in that sense a subscription model would suit us much better..
    The problem is at 7-8-10k price the sub is getting to be expensive.
    If you ammortize the 10k over three years typical ownership, that's 3k per year or 750 per quarter, 250 per month etc.

It's a lot to pay considering there may not be true FSD for a decade or more and the laws are slow to keep up with tech.

+ it would be extremely frustrating having to monitor the cars driving while in Beta, I would find it very fatiguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

If I can get to work and back on the M9/M7/N7 and back with little input from me than I'll be happy enough ......

From my brief experience with it I think AP1 would pretty much manage that... it handled a trip out the sandyford dual carriageway and around the M50 without any issue

drumm23 wrote: »
    From my brief experience with it I think AP1 would pretty much manage that... it handled a trip out the sandyford dual carriageway and around the M50 without any issue
    AP1 is perfect for all that stuff, I did 600+km in a trip there a few days ago. All motorway/Dualway, all AP.

• Advertisement

AP1 works well on the motorways. Best when either super busy (M50 commute) as it handles start stop by itself, or when very quiet with no overtaking needed

Edit: doubly beaten to it :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I actually appreciate AP1 better in heavy/slow moving city traffic with loads of traffic lights, you can engage it from standstill and just sit back

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I find AP in my Model 3 to be a little jerky though in stop/start traffic..

seems to accelerate hard and brake hard, when it could really be much smoother, maybe I need to play around with the follow distance setting, but that becomes irrelevant the slower you are going..

Ap1 would be good if I didn’t have to have my hand on the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I find the same thing in my Model S. It accelerates and brakes pretty hard. I have the follow distance set to max.

a strategically set up bungee chord will solve this issue.

However I highly recommend you or anyone else never does this

This guy also seemed to find an easier solution;

But Never Ever Do This.........

FSD from a drone.... (great flying skills with all those wires).

AP almost crashes into a parked car after 90 seconds.....

I find AP in my Model 3 to be a little jerky though in stop/start traffic..

seems to accelerate hard and brake hard, when it could really be much smoother, maybe I need to play around with the follow distance setting, but that becomes irrelevant the slower you are going..

That's HW3/>AP2 for you.
    I had a loaner S last year with 500km on the clock. It had HW3 with FSD. The difference between my AP1 S and it was astounding. You could see the HW3 would be better in time but as it stood in 2019, my S's AP1 was better.

Yeah the phantom braking and other strange behaviour is post AP1. Agree with ELM327 that AP2/3 will eventually get better (see this early beta for a taster) but for now AP1 is far superior / safer, but will not improve.

• Advertisement

I've heard where the phantom braking has been fixed with the latest update ?

Genuine questioning - what is the law on driving like this?

Genuine questioning - what is the law on driving like this?

You mean hacking the car to drive without human intervention ? this would be illegal as the law stands now FSD is not allowed without human intervention, touching the steering etc.

Any link for that Mad_Lad? Surely you were not making that all up right as you were posting it just now? :p

I doubt there is any mention of auto pilot of full self driving in any Irish law, but I can imagine if you get caught with a device that bypassed the nagging and you're asleep on the back seat you might be done for something like driving without due care and attention / dangerous driving

So my appointment with Tesla has been moved out 10 days waiting on parts. Means I have to hire a car to go to cork as I dont want to drive with no NCT with all the checkpoints.
    700km in an ice car. This is going to be fun!

They didnt have anything premium, so I had to go with a "mondeo or equivalent" spec. I wanted a bimmer/A6/E class.

So my appointment with Tesla has been moved out 10 days waiting on parts. Means I have to hire a car to go to cork as I dont want to drive with no NCT with all the checkpoints.

I presume your car is booked in for an NCT? Just bring your phone with the confirmation of the booking and the confirmation of your medical appointment and no Garda in the country is going to give you trouble at a checkpoint

Imagine paying for dino juice for a trip like that? And full whack for the tolls? And the stink and vibrations and cancerous emissions? And having to do all the driving yourself? :eek: :D:p

Take the Tesla!

Sure I've booked it now lol.
    I need 4 new tires as part of the service and looking at the inside rears they are quite worn. I dont want to risk a blowout on the motorway.
    I may be paying half price for the tolls :P

I wouldn't let any main $tealer ever change any of my tyres. You will pay way over the odds. Both in mark up of the tyres and in labour. Get the tyres done somewhere else before your trip, although ideally you would have ordered them online and got your local tyre fitter to fit them to get the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

unkel wrote: »
    I wouldn't let any main $tealer ever change any of my tyres. You will pay way over the odds. Both in mark up of the tyres and in labour. Get the tyres done somewhere else before your trip, although ideally you would have ordered them online and got your local tyre fitter to fit them to get the best deal.

+1

Tesla replaced my rear tyres recently during a routine service and I got the fronts done by TyreLand a few days later. Tesla charged over €100 extra per tyre for exactly the same type!

• Advertisement

A guy in Belfast was quoted £716 for 2 tyres from Tesla!!!!

When it comes time for new tyres, I’ll order them on Openeo, and get my local place to fit them at €15 per tyre....

Advertisement