Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

unkel wrote: »
    During my period with it, it fell out of the fixed chill mode somehow :D You sure it's the same car, 192D22577? I hope they cleaned it before giving it to you :p

Not the same so. I had the black 7-seater performance one for the test drive and have actually been offered that at quite a reduction from the original price. So much, that it costs the same as importing a 17-reg one from the UK. And it only has 13k km on the clock.
    Not a bad family bus, got quite fond of it in my nearly 3 weeks with it.

My Audi Allroad is on it's last legs. Both suspension and gearbox acting up and I've already spend a good bit on the suspension in the last year, so I'm not willing to put much more in it.

Hence the looking for a replacement.
    If you're going over for a test drive, you might as well drive all they've got.

No point, as I need to be able to tow over 2t and I need the space of the Allroad or more.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe what Tesla's Irish staff say on the topic of Teslas global supply chain plans. Tesla China will supply Australia and NZ, both left driving countries, so given 10 European countries will be getting made in China vehicles it would seem very unlikely UK and Ireland alone would get US made vehicles.

Well .. plus the first China made RHD Model 3 have been spotted in Hong Kong. Hence I was discussing it. I guess we'll just have to keep our eyes open within the community to see, if any Shanghai made ones turn up here.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese made Model 3 is better built than a US made Model 3.

Well, that is the notion alright. Even the Texas build ones will be better build quality than the Freemont ones, if you ask Sandy Munro.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Marlow wrote: »
    Not the same so. I had the black 7-seater performance one for the test drive and have actually been offered that at quite a reduction from the original price. So much, that it costs the same as importing a 17-reg one from the UK. And it only has 13k km on the clock.

Did you tow with one? You have a lot of experience towing heavy loads (with mostly diesel vehicles presumably), would love to hear your comparison between them and a Model X

Are you considering buying it? If you don't mind sharing, how much were you offered it for - the car is a 201 plate, right?

Did you tow with one? You have a lot of experience towing heavy loads (with mostly diesel vehicles presumably), would love to hear your comparison between them and a Model X

No, I haven't towed with one. I have however enough common sense (and experience), that I wouldn't want to tow 2.5t behind a Model 3 for sure. You want some counterweight on the towing vehicle. If I went for a Model 3 sized car, i'd buy a Polestar 2 instead to be honest. Much better looking car. But that's my personal opinion.

TFLcar did a series of YouTube videos on towing with a Model X. Gives some pretty good insight.
    Are you considering buying it? If you don't mind sharing, how much were you offered it for - the car is a 201 plate, right?

It's a 192-reg. And yes, I am considering buying it, if I can make the finances work out. They are knocking 29k of the full price as it is. I might wiggle a bit more out of them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats the one thats listed on the inventory site.
    I've been looking at it too, great config except 7 instead of 6 seats, and no 22' wheels

ELM327 wrote: »
    Thats the one thats listed on the inventory site.
    I've been looking at it too, great config except 7 instead of 6 seats, and no 22' wheels

I want a 5 or 7 seater. In the 6 seater, you can't fold the middle row down. And yes, it is the one from the inventory.

The fact, that it's on 20's also is an advantage for me, as it's towing capacity is less on 22's.

The only thing I'm not fond of is the white leather. It's nice .. but it will be impossible to keep clean. And well, there is no FSD included, but one can always add that.

I looked at a few in the UK and by the time you'd bring a 17-reg in, pay VRT, pay for the warranty extension etc. you'd pay the same as for that one.

/M

• Advertisement

Would be my preferred setup too. And with the middle row down your loading space is huge. Camper! :D

I want a 5 or 7 seater. In the 6 seater, you can't fold the middle row down. And yes, it is the one from the inventory.

The fact, that it's on 20's also is an advantage for me, as it's towing capacity is less on 22's.

The only thing I'm not fond of is the white leather. It's nice .. but it will be impossible to keep clean. And well, there is no FSD included, but one can always add that.

I looked at a few in the UK and by the time you'd bring a 17-reg in, pay VRT, pay for the warranty extension etc. you'd pay the same as for that one.

/M
    Yes, I agree with that. I actually posted that car - the inventory one - and said it was a good deal. Others disagreed as it wasnt much off a new performance. Bottom line is, you can't actually buy one cheaper than that from the UK!

Also, as its inventory rather than cpo, the 4 years and 8 years for the two warranties start at your delivery date (read the contract)

Others disagreed as it wasnt much off a new performance. Bottom line is, you can't actually buy one cheaper than that from the UK!

Blanchardstown 4x4 have a 18-reg Model X for sale ... and that's even more expensive than this one.

Tesla literally knocked 20% of the retail price. The retail of that on in inventory is nearly 126k. So a 29k discount on something like that and that comes with a full warranty is a bargain.

/M

For sure.
    As I say, I'd love that one myself. I've had a love hate relationship with Tesla due to their crap customer service, but there's no denying the cars are brilliant. I've had my S for a year and, while I'd love to replace it, there's nothing else better to replace it with than another Tesla!

there's no denying the cars are brilliant. I've had my S for a year and, while I'd love to replace it, there's nothing else better to replace it with than another Tesla!

Indeed. The only company that is doing a reasonable job of trying to catch up is VW. Diess (VW CEO) said recently:

"we organized a second workshop with Professor Malik in April 2020. 31 senior executives from Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche were involved in ‘Mission T’, as it was dubbed. The event revolved around how we can catch up with Tesla"

The target it to catch up by 2024 (4 years from now!) but that is very optimistic

And for his frankness and insight he might get the boot one of these days. Lot of old skool, ultra conservative people in the car industry who would love nothing better than to just keep making profitable diesels forever...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Meanwhile in Berlin, sleeping snakes have halted GigaBerlin progress...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1208/1183093-telsas-german-plant-delayed-by-snakes/
    Hibernating snakes are complicating Elon Musk's plans for a gigafactory near Berlin in Germany.

A German court has told the US billionaire's electric vehicle company Tesla to suspend clearing of a forest at the site of the proposed factory after environmentalists said that cutting down more trees could endanger hibernating snakes.

Meanwhile in Berlin, sleeping snakes have halted GigaBerlin progress...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1208/1183093-telsas-german-plant-delayed-by-snakes/
    Bloody ecomentalist nonsense imo

Snakes in the grass everywhere :pac:

That will probably have an impact on the battery plant, as I think they didn't clear for that yet.

They can still continue the current build, that already is in progress.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Ah well the planet doesn't just belong to hoomans you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

No one needs a snake coming out of their panel gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭3d4life

Indeed. The only company that is doing a reasonable job of trying to catch up is VW. Diess (VW CEO) said recently:

"we organized a second workshop with Professor Malik in April 2020. 31 senior executives from Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche were involved in ‘Mission T’, as it was dubbed. The event revolved around how we can catch up with Tesla"

The target it to catch up by 2024 (4 years from now!) but that is very optimistic

And for his frankness and insight he might get the boot one of these days. Lot of old skool, ultra conservative people in the car industry who would love nothing better than to just keep making profitable diesels forever...

Thing is, when VAG 'catch up' Tesla will be so far ahead they will be out of sight

Any of ye see

( and its full length brother which is linked to in the clip ) ?

Only way VAG will be anywhere close to this is thru good 'ol stock exchange R & D. ( nothing wrong with that, its how many of the big tech companies have been built )

Lumen wrote: »
    LFP problems

https://insideevs.com/news/458229/tesla-skipped-testing-lfp-model-3-china/

Article is a bit all over the place. Has anyone come across a European range test of the LFP Model 3?

Rob Maurer took the article apart and it turns out, that it looks like, that the LFP "issues" are baseless.

Basically, all the articles on the LFP issues seem to go back to the same original article, that refers to 1!!! customer in Beijing, who does purely short city trips and only achieved 241 km from 52kWh of charge, when the Tesla shows 420km range to begin with and then only has 5% left after those 241 km.

However,
    - the temperatures are not known
    - it is unknown if the owner preheats his Tesla
    - if he doesn't preheat the Tesla, he will also suffer range, because he won't get any regen for the majority of the trip
    - more power consumption is expected, as more electricity is used for heating etc.
    - we do not know, if this Model 3 has a PTZ heater or the heatpump.

The other part of these articles then is hear/say from a sales person, that Tesla didn't test the cells sufficient or at all before using them. I don't think a China based sales person would be the most reliable source on what goes on in engineering in Tesla in Shanghai nor Freemont.

So it looks like that all these media outlets jumped on the bandwagon of what essentially was a non-event and just based on lack of common sense.

Having said that, it seems that BYD also is using LFP based battery packs and has done so for quite some time. But we don't hear much or anything about that, because they are only sold in China.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

only achieved 241 km from 52kWh of charge, when the Tesla shows 420km range to begin with and then only has 5% left after those 241 km.

For comparison, I achieved 220kms from a 100% charged Model 3 SR+ yesterday. It was fully preheated & preconditioned, heating set to 20c & driven normally/keeping up with normal traffic (autopilot used 90% of the journey).

Arrived with 3% SoC.

An older Model 3 in fairness (202 reg) with resistive heater, but still, a long way short of the 409km WLTP claim :eek:.

Anyone willing to do a youtube video, debunking my experience yesterday?
    :D.

Kramer wrote: »
    For comparison, I achieved 220kms from a 100% charged Model 3 SR+ yesterday. It was fully preheated & preconditioned, heating set to 20c & driven normally/keeping up with normal traffic (autopilot used 90% of the journey).

Arrived with 3% SoC.

An older Model 3 in fairness (202 reg) with resistive heater, but still, a long way short of the 409km WLTP claim :eek:.

Why would that need to be debunked? That's right on expectations for an M3 SR+ with mainly motorway/dualway driving at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Kramer wrote: »

Arrived with 3% SoC.

Wednesday night I drove 107km, preheated battery at 100% and I arrived with 61% (cold nght)

Same journey 107km - last week during the day (was a bit warmer) and I arrived with 67%

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The UK now has more Superchargers than Norway

2020-12-09-vs-11-11-superchargers-by-country-png.615909

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They should really just say GB instead of U.K., as counting it as U.K. would I’m sure would infuriate our Northern neighbours who have yet to see a single Supercharger installed...

That's counting supercharger sites as 1, instead of showing the number of superchargers which it claims.
    Whether thats a 2 stall site in leeds or a 40 stall site in Norway, both are counted as "1"

That's counting supercharger sites as 1, instead of showing the number of superchargers which it claims.
    Whether thats a 2 stall site in leeds or a 40 stall site in Norway, both are counted as "1"

Also .. and this is even more important: the UK has a population of 66.6 million people. Norway has a population of 5.3 million people.

That tells you something about how many cars there are in each country.

So counting the amount of supercharger sites is completely and utterly nonsense, unless you put it into perspective.

As in superchargers per vehicles (EV+ICE) on the road.

Essentially, Norway and Ireland are comparable. The UK and Norway are not.

/M

Also .. and this is even more important: the UK has a population of 66.6 million people. Norway has a population of 5.3 million people.

That tells you something about how many cars there are in each country.

So counting the amount of supercharger sites is completely and utterly nonsense, unless you put it into perspective.

As in superchargers per vehicles (EV+ICE) on the road.

Essentially, Norway and Ireland are comparable. The UK and Norway are not.

/M

Norway has the same problems as Ireland but even worse, in terms of population density and spread. Especially the further north you go.

It takes over 24 hours to drive from the south to the north of Norway, yet they have similar population to us.

Norway has the same problems as Ireland but even worse, in terms of population density and spread. Especially the further north you go.

It takes over 24 hours to drive from the south to the north of Norway, yet they have similar population to us.

I know that ... I'm from Denmark, lived in Sweden for a while (10 hours drive to get to the border with Denmark) and have family in Tromsø, which is at the northern polar circle in Norway.

And yes ... the distances are a lot further than Ireland.

Denmark is probably a better fit to compare to Ireland geographically. But even at that comparison, it's ridiculous how far behind Ireland is.

But comparing the amount of superchargers in Norway with the amount of superchargers in the UK is still bogus.

/M

I know that ... I'm from Denmark, lived in Sweden for a while (10 hours drive to get to the border with Denmark) and have family in Tromsø, which is at the northern polar circle in Norway.

And yes ... the distances are a lot further than Ireland.

Denmark is probably a better fit to compare to Ireland geographically. But even at that comparison, it's ridiculous how far behind Ireland is.

But comparing the amount of superchargers in Norway with the amount of superchargers in the UK is still bogus.

/M

Sorry to be clear I was agreeing with your point

Sorry to be clear I was agreeing with your point

Took me reading it twice, but I gathered that.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

That's statistics for you - can be moulded to support practically anything.

In all fairness though, Tesla need to be called out for their complete disregard for Irish Tesla owners &/or €uropean owners, visiting Ireland.

Just three sites, installed years ago, when Model S used a proprietary connector & basically couldn't be DC charged in public - they simply had to back then.
    Nothing since, save for retrofitting CCS cables to placate new Model 3 buyers.

Their sales are booming, yet no additional superchargers, just "coming soon" promises :rolleyes:.

With ECars dragging their heels, Ionity finished (& practically unusable @ 79c/kWh), Tesla not exercised (as it'll cost & is not affecting sales), I think we're in for a period of stasis, we are where we are, plan your EV future accordingly.

:cool:.

Advertisement