Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kramer wrote: »
    Their sales are booming, yet no additional superchargers, just "coming soon" promises :rolleyes:

I think they're afraid of me emptying them all out on a daily basis :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's statistics for you - can be moulded to support practically anything.

In all fairness though, Tesla need to be called out for their complete disregard for Irish Tesla owners &/or €uropean owners, visiting Ireland.

Just three sites, installed years ago, when Model S used a proprietary connector & basically couldn't be DC charged in public - they simply had to back then.
    Nothing since, save for retrofitting CCS cables to placate new Model 3 buyers.

Their sales are booming, yet no additional superchargers, just "coming soon" promises :rolleyes:.

With ECars dragging their heels, Ionity finished (& practically unusable @ 79c/kWh), Tesla not exercised (as it'll cost & is not affecting sales), I think we're in for a period of stasis, we are where we are, plan your EV future accordingly.

:cool:.

If Ionity added a proper site on the M1 they could rightly claim better motorway coverage in Ireland than Tesla or Ecars.

I'm a bit peeved with the lack of new SuC sites added, but to be fair, everywhere main is covered except the M6 or M11. And those are less than 200km so most tesla owners wouldnt need a charge there anyway.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm a bit peeved with the lack of new SuC sites added, but to be fair, everywhere main is covered except the M6 or M11. And those are less than 200km so most tesla owners wouldnt need a charge there anyway.

+1

I struggle to think where I couldn't go in Ireland even if I could only use (free) superchargers.

I wouldn't mind having one on my driveway though :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    +1

I struggle to think where I couldn't go in Ireland even if I could only use (free) superchargers.

I wouldn't mind having one on my driveway though :pac:

I find there's nowhere in Ireland I can't go, relying on only SuC. The issue is getting back. Especially if you don't have destination charging and you're going out rural.

Surely anywhere you would ever stay would have electricity? :p

Plug in the granny cable when you get there and you'd surely have enough range to get back to where you came from (or to a SuC) when it's time to be going home.

• Advertisement

Surely anywhere you would ever stay would have electricity? :p

Plug in the granny cable when you get there and you'd surely have enough range to get back to where you came from (or to a SuC) when it's time to be going home.

Yes but sometimes it's awkward to blag free electricity from someone. I have a 20m 13a extension cable, a 10m type 2 extension cable, and the UMC with the 13a plug in the frunk at all times, but sometimes I don't or can't ask to charge the car.

On my regular trips to the outlaws in wexford for instance (~200km each way) I would plug in (and they have installed an outside 13a socket for me!) as they are aware of my EVs. Visiting there in a leaf, the charge was needed to avoid 2 FCPs on the way back and leafspeed on the m11. Now in the tesla it's a nice to have.

But imagine you're at a business meeting in a strange hotel that doesnt have destination charging. You're there for 2 hours. What do you do then?

But imagine you're at a business meeting in a strange hotel that doesnt have destination charging. You're there for 2 hours. What do you do then?

A 400km trip just for a 2 hour meeting? How often do you do that?

Not that it would be a huge problem for either of us as we both have 3 of the below:

22kW AC charging / CHAdeMO / CCS / SuC

:D

Or the Lord forbid, drive at LeafSpeed and make the 400km round trip home without charging at all :eek:

A 400km trip just for a 2 hour meeting? How often do you do that?

Not that it would be a huge problem for either of us as we both have 3 of the below:

22kW AC charging / CHAdeMO / CCS / SuC

Or the Lord forbid, drive at LeafSpeed and make the 400km round trip home without charging at all :eek:

Not a 400km trip, but a 250km each way motorway trip, quite frequently. Also, I only have 11kW AC.
    And it's the situation I described, no destination charging opportunity and no SCP within walking distance.

(But it's going to cork so I just top up at ballacolla on the way down and on the way back)

Yeah just having a quick look at the map and I'd say the furthest you can go from Dublin without passing a SuC is the utter north west of Mayo, which is about 300km away, so doable even in a 6-7 year old Tesla at motorway speeds without charging.

Not that anyone would ever have any reason to visit the utter north west of Mayo, but that's beside the point :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The east coast isn't well served by fast charging, relying heavily on Gorey Ionity (€€€).

Dublin to the south Wexford coast is 350km round trip, plus whatever driving around you're doing when there.

It'd be great to have a supercharger around Enniscorthy somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭3d4life

....Not that anyone would ever have any reason to visit the utter north west of Mayo, but that's beside the point :pac:

*** Reports post ***

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lumen wrote: »
    Dublin to the south Wexford coast is 350km round trip, plus whatever driving around you're doing when there.

It'd be great to have a supercharger around Enniscorthy somewhere.

I'd agree with this, though for anyone heading down Rosslare direction, there are great destination charging options in rosslare Strand, including 7 Tesla destination chargers (4 of which are Tesla only) at Kelly's Resort on the Strand, and then another few in another hotel just up the road.

We went down to Enniscorthy for a night back in August, but on the way down went as far as Rosslare and stopped into Kelly's for lunch, plugged in for about 2 hours (11kW), and got us enough juice to get back up to Enniscorthy and then back up to Dublin the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I find there's nowhere in Ireland I can't go, relying on only SuC. The issue is getting back.

From Limerick, there's no Supercharging (well, Ionity @ 79c/kWh is pretty super- charging I guess :D), on the way to......

Galway/Mayo/North West.
    Cork.
    Kerry/South West.
    Tipperary/Waterford (Rosslare)/South East.
    Dublin/Dublin Airport (without detour onto M8)
    Wicklow/Greystones/East Coast.

All areas I'd travel to regularly enough. There is life outside the M50 :p.

The SuC in Birdhill is all but useless if you live nearby & have a full battery setting off on your journey.

The only SuC "on route" is Castlebellingham & that's far beyond the range of a Model 3 SR+ or even a LR in winter, at motorway speed.

The SR+ is/will likely be Teslas best seller & has a 200km odd winter range on the motorway, in winter. Three SuC locations, with sales increasing, going into 2021, is showing contempt for their loyal Irish customers :(.

Elon, install/commission the ones you've been promising for years & add Sligo. Even 4 stalls per location will do.

TIA :pac:.

I suppose, living in North-West Meath, I'm lucky enough to be close to the city/the pale to benefit from the dublin centric SUC layout

Elon, install/commission the ones you've been promising for years & add Sligo. Even 4 stalls per location will do.

Elon told me to tell you he's on it.

Elon told me to tell you he's on it.

He's still a little salty after I had a cut off him about him not comping me a heat pump.
    He'll cool down.................rocket man.......:D.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

From Limerick, there's no Supercharging (well, Ionity @ 79c/kWh is pretty super- charging I guess :D), on the way to......

Galway/Mayo/North West...

You have the eCars High Power 150 unit at the Galway Plaza, that's now a viable option for you

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    You have the eCars High Power 150 unit at the Galway Plaza, that's now a viable option for you

How many cars can charge at the same time @150kW at this new Galway Plaza ESB flagship superhub?

I stopped there on my way to Connemara on our short family holiday this summer for a break. Didn't need to charge though but had a wee look at it. It seems just a single charger? Can 2 cars even charge at 150kW at the same time? Pretty pathetic effort but I guess better than nothing.

How many cars can charge at the same time @150kW at this new Galway Plaza ESB flagship superhub?

I stopped there on my way to Connemara on our short family holiday this summer for a break. Didn't need to charge though but had a wee look at it. It seems just a single charger? Can 2 cars even charge at 150kW at the same time? Pretty pathetic effort but I guess better than nothing.

1 @ 150kW
    or 2 @ 75kW peak each.

Combined with the triple head it gives 1 75/150kW CCS, 1 75kW Chademo, and 1 CCS/Chad at 50kW, along with AC43.

So 4 cars can charge at once, as long as (1 CCS and 2 Chademo ) or (2 CCS and 1 chademo) and 1 fast AC car turn up, in that exact combo.

slave1 wrote: »

Gawd damn it man, I'm driving a Tesla! I'm not sullying myself mixing with the plebs in Leafs at those common esb public chargers.

I demand a SUPER charger, restricted to fellow Tesla drivers.

tenor.gif

:D:D:D.

• Advertisement

It's cheaper too (or free) to use the Tesla one. And faster.

Combined with the triple head it gives 1 75/150kW CCS, 1 75kW Chademo, and 1 CCS/Chad at 50kW, along with AC43.

So 4 cars can charge at once, as long as (1 CCS and 2 Chademo ) or (2 CCS and 1 chademo) and 1 fast AC car turn up, in that exact combo.

Remember though ESB confirmed a few weeks ago that the AC43 can no longer be used now on a Triple Head if the CCS or CHAdeMO is being used...

Though I still believe they genuinely don't know how it all works, and only said that because there's only 3 dedicated spaces at these sites (where theres a 150 beside a 50)

Would that be the 4 sites that can DC charge up to 3 cars (only 2 CCS cars though) at the same time? (2 on the 150kW, and one on the Triple Head*)

*eCars confirmed on Facebook that only 1 car can now use the Triple Head at any given time, though I suspect that's BS, and they simply didn't plan ahead and just placed the Triple Head at space 3 instead of creating a 4th space and locating it between the 2...

529430.jpeg

Remember though ESB confirmed a few weeks ago that the AC43 can no longer be used now on a Triple Head if the CCS or CHAdeMO is being used...

Also, a rear, near sided/left ported car (Ioniq, Model 3 etc.) can't charge from the right space (looking head on, as in the pic above), as the cable can't physically reach that far.

That's 2020 for ya folks :rolleyes:.

Actually, an Ioniq/Model 3, in the "centre" space, utilising the CCS cable from the 50kW unit would take out that entire location for any other rear ported, CCS car.

You could be sitting there in your Model 3, looking at "3" chargers, but being unable to recharge if one other car was there before you.

Progress :pac:.

So only 1 car can charge at 150kW at this super mega ESB hub freshly installed in 2020 with tax payers' money? Dear oh dear.

Actually, an Ioniq/Model 3, in the "centre" space, utilising the CCS cable from the 50kW unit would take out that entire location for any other rear ported, CCS car.

You could be sitting there in your Model 3, looking at "3" chargers, but being unable to recharge if one other car was there before you.

Progress :pac:.

I'm a bit tired, didn't get much sleep last night. Finding it hard to understand what you're saying there. Could you please visualise that?

Though I still believe they genuinely don't know how it all works, and only said that because there's only 3 dedicated spaces at these sites (where theres a 150 beside a 50)

They are wrong (unsurprisingly) , I've used fast AC at the Kells one alongside a leaf on chademo. Just to test and balance my battery.

They are wrong , I've used fast AC at the Kells one alongside a leaf on chademo. Just to test and balance my battery.

Yeah, I very much thought so... and they just had to be diplomatic and say it's a 3 car hub because they didn't lay it out as the 4 car hub it is capable of being!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL

Epw6STBVEAAqqGm?format=png&name=900x900

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

The market cap just now is 10% higher again than the figure in your chart, slave1. Mad stuff :D

Advertisement