Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Cheers all.

It's a 2019 Model X, had Goodyear Eagle F1's on it. It's eaten the front inner shoulders badly, 30k km on them.
    I'll be getting mine online (Openeo), and getting the local guy to change them for €15 a corner.

I'll also be going for what she came with which is Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (€191 per tyre on Openeo).

Looking at the same Michelin's from Openeo too.

They seem to beat or match the Pirelli Tesla/T0 tyres on economy and noise, so can't see any reason not to get them.

If I could get the 22's at that price I'd be laughing!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I should mention mine is an SR+ on the aero wheels..

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Lucky you, €326 ea for the MX rears on openeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why would Tesla be spending on radar if they thought they could get their humann-like image analysis from cameras to work? They would need completely different sets of software as well.

All Teslas ever made with AutoPilot (since 2014 so) have radar already

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

unkel wrote: »
    All Teslas ever made with AutoPilot (since 2014 so) have radar already

They might as well have a white cane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I should mention mine is an SR+ on the aero wheels..

You don’t have that too long Andy? what mileage have you done?
    When I bought my S in May last year I was delighted the owner had just put on £1k worth of Good Years, some 13k kms later all still fine.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

cnocbui wrote: »
    They might as well have a white cane.

Are you trolling now? The (Bosch) radar functions as it should and the software enables active cruise control and emergency autonomous braking, as a radar system does in any level 2 autonomous driving system (these days mandatory on any cars if you want to get a 5 star safety rating)

slave1 wrote: »
    You don’t have that too long Andy? what mileage have you done?
    When I bought my S in May last year I was delighted the owner had just put on £1k worth of Good Years, some 13k kms later all still fine.

I'm on 19,500km. Though i haven't yet swapped the front with the rear as Tesla recommend.... and I was thinking maybe I won't either.. I might just wait til the rears need replacing, and replace them there and then, and then do the front as and when required...

I did the same with my 3series (the rears are a different size to the front, and being a beemer, they wore down quicker), so just replaced as and when required..

And when putting new tyres on the rear, I'd rather be putting on a brand new set as opposed to the set from the front with 20-30-40k km on them.

Yep, new tyres should always be fitted on the rear. No matter if your car is FWD or RWD. There's a clip out there from Vicki Butler-Henderson where she explains this quite well. 10 second google - can't find it now. Someone will and post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So Rob Maurer has managed to get confirmation (inofficial), that Model S and X indeed are being refreshed.

New Model S production start first week February and new Model X start production in March.

It shall be interesting, what updates they will get. One would hope goodies like heatpump and maybe even structural battery, as that will be needed to make Model S Plaid possible.

/M

• Advertisement

Musk has previously stated the heat pump will be standard in all Tesla refreshes after Y launch so that is a certainty

I've also heard from a reliable source that all Tesla sales staff world wide were told to sell all existing stock of Model S / X by the end of this month. There is no accounting reason for this, it's the end of the month, not the end of the quarter

So the only logical conclusion would be that production of refreshed models is imminent. The rumours of improvements I heard were heat pump (meh - great on a car with a tiny battery, but not really necessary on very large battery cars like the S and X), much improved quality of the interior with horizontal screen (yay!)

I haven't checked if there are any still in stock in Sandyford, but if there are, now is the time to get a really good deal on a current model

Would it be a case they want rid of all the existing stock before the refresh models become available, as when the newer versions are available, no one will want the old stock so it’ll have to be sold off at discount?

Aye. It has always been thus, for all car makers. I remember my father getting a huge discount on an Audi 80 back 30 years ago. It was still to be manufacturered when he did the deal and there wasn't even a new model coming, just the mid life refresh. Depends of course on a lot of factors what sort of discount you can get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Do sandyford have their stock online?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do you get some free supercharging online or from Sandyford?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gael23 wrote: »
    Do you get some free supercharging online or from Sandyford?

Don’t think they offer it anymore unless you use a referral code.
    My car is 2014 and is owners get free super charging for life.

Buying in store or online is no difference. If you buy in store they simply open the website and place the order in front of you.

I have free unlimited worldwide supercharging for life. Used it a couple of times, last time was back 8 months ago. Not that useful or valuable in this country. Even if there wasn't a pandemic :p

Aye. It has always been thus, for all car makers. I remember my father getting a huge discount on an Audi 80 back 30 years ago. It was still to be manufacturered when he did the deal and there wasn't even a new model coming, just the mid life refresh. Depends of course on a lot of factors what sort of discount you can get.

UK CPO stock should be flooded so, shame feckin Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

As a good example back in 201, VW had both the mk8 golf and the ID3 coming but had a shedload of mk7.5 production to sell, so they spec’ed them to the roof and discounted the price. We got an r-line 1.5tsi 150bhp for €28.5k, €5k off list, which included a €3k “manufacturer discount”.
    Works out at a 15.5% discount.

The difference here is that the mk8 got a so-so reception and the mk7.5 is generally seen as excellent - whereas no-one will want an older model Tesla with the known things like the dated interior , with the S already quite an old model to begin with, when there’s a new shiny model available and unlikely to cost much more

sk8board wrote: »
    no-one will want an older model Tesla with the known things like the dated interior , with the S already quite an old model to begin with, when there’s a new shiny model available and unlikely to cost much more

That depends on the discount :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Plenty of people would want the older one. Especially if the new S has the crappy interior from the 3/Y. That's fine for a 3 series car but not for something in the 5/7 category.

People are still buying nosecone cars second hand so the older (pre upcoming refresh) cars will sell.

That depends on the discount :p

100%, totally depends on the price, I've a nosecone S and no problem with it given the price I got it at, way cheaper than ANYTHING new out there with similar range.
    I hope the new S is a super funky refresh but Tesla have a well proven track record of minor visual refreshed.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tesla will be making the S and X forever with refreshes, like the Fiesta.
    3 and Y will be the same along with the mooted compact.
    They will have that fleet forever and not expand past it.

slave1 wrote: »
    100%, totally depends on the price, I've a nosecone S and no problem with it given the price I got it at, way cheaper than ANYTHING new out there with similar range.
    I hope the new S is a super funky refresh but Tesla have a well proven track record of minor visual refreshed.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tesla will be making the S and X forever with refreshes, like the Fiesta.
    3 and Y will be the same along with the mooted compact.
    They will have that fleet forever and not expand past it.
    The fiesta is a good example. They often went 10-15 years without a major refresh.

Mark 1 and mark 2 were similar, Mark 3 was a step change, then mark 4 + mark 4 facelift were the same to the point that late model mark 3 were sold with mark 4 parts. The kent 1.3 engine was the same until the mark 4 facelift and was used since the 50s and went on after the mark 4 fiesta to the mk1 and mk2 ka, last seen with an 09 plate (and awful high tax on the CO2 scheme).

I don't think there will ever be a major change on the S or X, beyond the likes of the nosecone refresh. That's the most they will change. They dont need to change much as theres still so much pent up demand for tesla products.

Some of the crazy concept art out there is lovely though...

EcQNOOQXgAATMit?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm not sure if the Fiesta example tells us anything without further information and analysis. What happened during those years such as... how were the sales/ sales relative to the competition throughout that period, did they rise/fall what? What did this stagnation in design mean for Fords overall and their competition? Did it given rise to the likes of the Clio? Compare Ford overall marker position now versus that period, what does that tell us about the company's strategy.

Both sales for the S & X are soft and without major updates Telsa is essentially seeding the market to more established players, who will eventually iterate their to success.

• Advertisement

And have a LHD car? I guess most tolls are automatic now but paid parking would be a pain in the neck as well as overtaking.

Also, no matter where you look, second hand Teslas are expensive everywhere. Would you not just buy new?

Advertisement