Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Think better off with a VAT qualifying UK sourced car dude, get vendor to deduct UK VAT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

slave1 wrote: »
    Think better off with a VAT qualifying UK sourced car dude, get vendor to deduct UK VAT

Duty adds 10% though. Our VAT is higher and then there is VRT. Can't see any UK Tesla being good value after all that.

The good thing is for all current Tesla owners in Ireland that all their cars are keeping their value really well now. Cheapest Tesla in this country by a long shot is a pre-facelift boggo S 85 for €33k in a private sale. No warranty, caveat emptor (although battery and drive train covered for another 2 years). Strong money. Next cheapest is another pre-facelift boggo S 85 for €37k. And it's white. Says it all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

in 5-10 years, I'll be looking for a LHD EV for our holiday home in Lithuania, and would love it to be a dirty old Tesla!!

Now if only they built that bloody Supercharger in Kaunas!!

Just get an old Model S with free supercharging for life and drive over there and back for free - apart from a cheap ferry, but the cost of that will be more than offset by hundreds of kg of goodies to be brought back to Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    That depends on the discount :p

Absolutely.
    Most cars in the Tesla price brackets these days go through a standard 6-7year model turnover with a midlife refresh along the way.
    e.g the 5 series was released in Jan 2017 and in Jan 2021 it’s only selling the LCI model.

The model S appeared in 2012, and the nosecone has been the main external lifecycle refresh, so it’s well overdue.

So ... What’s an acceptable discount?
    It’s €89k on the site tonight.

I was offered 15% off a mk7.5 run-out golf - could you realistically get the same % from Tesla and get one for €75k?

• Advertisement

No idea. But a friend was recently offered a demo model X P for about €30k below list price. So a lot more than 15% off :D

That car has since sold. Someone got a lot of motor for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

No idea. But a friend was recently offered a demo model X P for about €30k below list price. So a lot more than 15% off :D

That car has since sold. Someone got a lot of motor for the money.

It’s still €80-90k for an X. It’s very subjective, but (like most manufacturer performance models), the performance model Tesla’s are very poor value to begin with versus their real world performance gain, so getting a discount is fair game on those imho.

X P he was looking at was about €127k, he got offered it with €30k off, so nearly 25% discount

And I disagree about the P models, I'd go so far as to say the only good value Model 3 out there is the P - one of the very EVs for sale of any brand that are not overpriced. Imho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think the 3 P is good value versus European pricing but not good value for what you get, horses for courses I suppose, a 3 would just not be a family car for me whereas the S ticked the boxes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah not suitable for me either. My family car needs to have a hatchback, a saloon won't do. Model 3 would also be a bit on the small side for me (family of 5 with 3 teenage kids)

But it is a spectacular car for the money. Obviously that is pretty meaningless if you are not a "petrol head" and not into sports / performance cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

MCU2 upgrade now almost half price, down to €1500 including radio swap.
    Posted (incl screenshots) in the Tesla Owners Ireland facebook group this morning.

I had an MCU event last night and have a service visit booked for next week. I am now considering strongly (even though I had the visit booked before hearing about the price cut, and that I only have AP1) getting the MCu2

Better than €3k but still a lot of money for a slightly better and faster computer with just a few useful add-ons like Netflix etc.

If your MCU1 is going, you're out of warranty (even the new extra warranty) due to kms, and the MCU1 fix is 500 quid (I saw that as the price to supply and fit a refurbished MCU1 entire new unit). I think that's when things get interesting.

If I had >= AP2 I would have gotten it already.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ELM327 wrote: »
    MCU2 upgrade now almost half price, down to €1500 including radio swap.
    Posted (incl screenshots) in the Tesla Owners Ireland facebook group this morning.

I had an MCU event last night and have a service visit booked for next week. I am now considering strongly (even though I had the visit booked before hearing about the price cut, and that I only have AP1) getting the MCu2

I've been following the reduction in the US, then the IRL Store.
    For us peasants, with older MS without any AP, any real benefit to this upgrade?

If you have no AP at all, you have MCU v0 and dont have the problems with emmc etc that MCU v1 has. So you dont really need a preventative fix.
    You can get it (once you have a powered liftgate) and the only benefit would be the add ons, like netflix, caraoke etc, along with faster response time and clearer resolution.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you have no AP at all, you have MCU v0 and dont have the problems with emmc etc that MCU v1 has. So you dont really need a preventative fix.
    You can get it (once you have a powered liftgate) and the only benefit would be the add ons, like netflix, caraoke etc, along with faster response time and clearer resolution.

Yes I have the powered liftgate (Rear Boot?).
    I don't think id need it tbh, the previous owner done the 4G/LTE upgrade and that seems to work pretty well.

Netflix would be cool, but after initial happiness, id say that will wear off quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7H14FFP72827

Some good bargains in the UK now. Of course irrelevant to us. But I wonder if this price drop is due to Brexit or CoVid or the reduction in guarantee.

£28,700 for a 72k miles 2015 S85 with upgraded sound and AP is not at all terrible in my book.

Few nice Model 3 bargains as well...

SR+ = £36,800
    P = £49,900

garo wrote: »
    https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7H14FFP72827

Some good bargains in the UK now. Of course irrelevant to us. But I wonder if this price drop is due to Brexit or CoVid or the reduction in guarantee.

£28,700 for a 72k miles 2015 S85 with upgraded sound and AP is not at all terrible in my book.
    Few nice Model 3 bargains as well...

SR+ = £36,800
    P = £49,900

Irrelevant to us unless you are registered for GB vat and/or have a contact in NI.

Even if you could find a VAT qualifying car, the extra VAT + import duty would be nearly €4k on a GBP30k car

• Advertisement

Even if you could find a VAT qualifying car, the extra VAT + import duty would be nearly €4k on a GBP30k car

Looks like your deal will go down in history unkel...

Never again will such a deal be had.

A lot of folks here bought from the UK, either from tesla direct or from third party sellers. Most got significant savings over what was here at the time. When I bought my S in nov '19, I paid 5k less than what nose cone cars -2 years older and some without AP - were listed at here on DD.

Those days seem gone now.

Looks like your deal will go down in history unkel...

Never again will such a deal be had.

It was the cheapest car that Tesla ever sold. Worldwide. Perhaps one day they will sell a cheaper one, but probably not for a good few years anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

It was the cheapest car that Tesla ever sold. Worldwide. Perhaps one day they will sell a cheaper one, but probably not for a good few years anyway :D

I’m afraid unkel you have a few too many posts. What were the details I have heard it been mentioned here before so must have been awesome.

I’m afraid unkel you have a few too many posts. What were the details I have heard it been mentioned here before so must have been awesome.

Should be all in here..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058060750

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is it mentioned anywhere in the first 20 pages?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is it mentioned anywhere in the first 20 pages?

Search all posts from unkel in that thread and read the first 10-15 posts.

Or don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ah right got it, finaly, it's on page 14:

Which is interesting, coming 7 days after the page 7:
    hanks Phil. Now this is a tricky one. As most regulars will know from my posting history, I'm pretty open when it comes to prices / cost and what I have spent on something in general. And I am usually one of the nosey ones asking others what they paid! I am many things, but not a hypocrite. So the least I can do is address this issue.
    I am reluctant to mention the figure I paid

And then he proceeds to not address the issue, until page 14, where someone seems clearly annoyed at being asked a direct question and addressing the question he'd of been hypocritical not to addess:
    Now will I show you my new clothes (the invoice) as well, or do you take my word for it?

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ah right got it, finaly, it's on page 14:

Which is interesting, coming 7 days after the page 7:

And then he proceeds to not address the issue, until page 14, where someone seems clearly annoyed at being asked a direct question and addressing the question he'd of been hypocritical not to addess:

And your point is.........
    No need to get knickers in a twist about a post from 12 months ago. Regular users know the info. People who want to begrudge and moan and complain about it should consider their consistent appearance in the forum in the first place.

Advertisement