Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Why does it matter @cnocbui ?
    Some people like to keep finances quiet. I could understand why he wouldnt post the price, especially initially until the sale was confirmed and the car was paid for, and then until VRT was paid. There's eyes and ears everywhere from the revenue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Quarterly and Yearly report is out: https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/static/78Z2ZX_2020_Q4_Quarterly_Update_Deck_SMXBZX.pdf

Tesla S and X completely revised. Including interior !! (Page 13)

/M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Marlow wrote: »
    Quarterly and Yearly report is out: https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/static/78Z2ZX_2020_Q4_Quarterly_Update_Deck_SMXBZX.pdf

Tesla S and X completely revised. Including interior !! (Page 13)

/M

Just came on to post same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Oh my lord that Model S Plaid+ ....

€140990
    0-100kmph under 2.1 seconds
    1100bhp
    840km+ range
    320kmph top speed
    THIS interior.

I can’t believe this is a real car.

Website is not updated, but the design studio is, once you hit "Order".

New Model X interior:

50882719882_b8816c67d2_b.jpg

I'm so glad, I didn't buy in December ... :) ...

Also, no Plaid+ for Model X, but there is indeed a Plaid tri-motor version.

Performance models have been abandoned and Plaid models now have Performance pricing.

Old Plaid pricing is now Plaid+.

/M

• Advertisement

Also .. from investor report:

Heatpump, octovalve (probably also double glazing front) and new battery pack. Looks like they may already be 4680 structural battery packs, as they needed that for Plaid/Roadster.

/M

The Plaid+ range has just brought new life in my old P85+ :)
    I can now say they are reinventing the + range :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Looks like I'm VIN matched to this Shanghai bad boy................she's registered & all ready to go, right off the production line :D.

PKnRfPY.jpg

[maybe it's a bad photoshop..............:pac:].

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Website is not updated, but the design studio is, once you hit "Order".

New Model X interior:

50882719882_b8816c67d2_b.jpg

I'm so glad, I didn't buy in December ... :) ...

Also, no Plaid+ for Model X, but there is indeed a Plaid tri-motor version.

Performance models have been abandoned and Plaid models now have Performance pricing.

Old Plaid pricing is now Plaid+.

/M

WTF is with the KITT style steering wheel!

Kramer wrote: »
    Looks like I'm VIN matched to this Shanghai bad boy................she's registered & all ready to go, right off the production line :D.

Friend of mine has a M3 SR+ coming end February to Ireland, and the VIN is definatly Shanghai, hence assumed LFP battery. The good news is, that build quality probably will be superior to Freemont, even though Freemont has improved a lot.

Updated Roadster steering wheel. Probably just going to be the standard going forward. One steering wheel, less production diversity.

/M

• Advertisement

Not a fan of it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Gumbo wrote: »
    Not a fan of it myself

Weirdly, recently YouTube suggested a video about this guy who built an EXACT replica of KITT. Went way, way beyond the standard body kit ones. In it he mentioned how most modders hated the steering wheel (although, he thought it was “fine” himself).

Weirdly, recently YouTube suggested a video about this guy who built an EXACT replica of KITT. Went way, way beyond the standard body kit ones. In it he mentioned how most modders hated the steering wheel (although, he thought it was “fine” himself).

I actually watched that video too :)
    He studied footage to get the angles of the bumpers etc correct?

Looks like they may already be 4680 structural battery packs, as they needed that for Plaid/Roadster.

Just to follow up on that. It seems they are still using 18650s in the new S/X, but they further optimized them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

The interior is a huge improvement - don’t be surprised if the steering wheel is a Tesla stunt and you can choose a round one fitted pre delivery. It’s FAR FAR too divisive for a volume manufacturer to take the risk of enforcing it as a choice.

The markets expected far more from them too - just finished reading the script of the investor call

- it’s very very washy on 2021 forecast - they described some woolly way of doing multi-year growth forecast instead. The current share price requires far more to be supported.
    - Plenty other questions about the lack of forecasts on the carbon credits, although they say it’s of lessor importance now, and most credits are sold ‘discretely’ at the very end of each quarter.
    - plus some Q’s on the $10k price increase and customer service Center delays.
    - interesting point that S and X production will start next month but in very low volumes. I guess the factories are heavily geared towards the 3 and Y
    - The Semi is a dead duck until they can increase battery volume.
    - The roadster is still miles off, but is a side project now that the Plaid is being released
    - cybertruck is just leaving the final design phase and is a year away from parts and production still.
    - It’s all about the 3 and the Y.
    - $250m stock award made to Musk in Q4 :D
    Can’t but be impressed - when they announced the stock deal in 2018 I figured it was nigh on impossible

“ During 2020, Tesla made an annual profit for the first time, with net income of $721m. However, it made more than $1.5bn from selling regulatory credits to other carmakers during the year, a profit source that will disappear as rivals catch up with electric car production.”

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for sharing sk8board. You saved me from having to go through that stuff myself. I like to keep roughly updated, but I don't want to spend much time doing so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing sk8board. You saved me from having to go through that stuff myself. I like to keep roughly updated, but I don't want to spend much time doing so :)

I forgot to add the part where Tesla basically said (and I’m genuinely only paraphrasing this only slightly!) “if you think about the valuation and kinda squint a bit, and imagine our cars being used in the future as self driving robotaxis, thereby increasing their usability by at least 2x, then the current valuation can kinda be imagined”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

sk8board wrote: »
    The interior is a huge improvement - don’t be surprised if the steering wheel is a Tesla stunt and you can choose a round one fitted pre delivery. It’s FAR FAR too divisive for a volume manufacturer to take the risk of enforcing it as a choice.

But they have now positioned the S as a low volume niche option, it will never hit a volume worth talking about, I'd say Tesla have no problem with S and X volumes dropping so they can concentrate on X and Y where the true volumes and cost efficiencies/profitability lies

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Sandy Munro got to interview Elon Musk .... probably the interview of the man ever, so far.

A whole 49 minutes of it.

/M

slave1 wrote: »
    But they have now positioned the S as a low volume niche option, it will never hit a volume worth talking about, I'd say Tesla have no problem with S and X volumes dropping so they can concentrate on X and Y where the true volumes and cost efficiencies/profitability lies
    S& X have been halo niche products since the 3 (and now Y) were released.

A tesla fan would buy the X or S whereas someone looking for a practical EV would buy a 3 or a y.

• Advertisement

The one bit of "news" from the interview is that the refresh Model S and Model X will now have lithium 12V batteries. I've been saying for years that all EVs should have this, it really is absurd we are still using lead acid for cars that don't need to be cranked, unlike the ICE cars from the 19th century that most people still drive :p

Next step to replace all the 12V systems with 48V. The former is also pretty outdated. Much easier to work with 48V, still low voltage and still safe. My eBike battery system is 48V, my home attached battery system is 48V, power over Ethernet is 48V, etc.

unkel wrote: »
    Next step to replace all the 12V systems with 48V. The former is also pretty outdated. Much easier to work with 48V, still low voltage and still safe. My eBike battery system is 48V, my home attached battery system is 48V, power over Ethernet is 48V, etc.

Which is, what Elon hinted to in the same interview, that they are planning on, like PoE, on a bus, saving lots of cabling.

Starlink is already using 48v PoE in an overpowered version.

/M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Big move for a Fortune 500 company

Tesla embraces Bitcoin, investing $1.5 billion and signaling it will accept the cryptocurrency as payment

https://fortune.com/2021/02/08/tesla-bitcoin-investing-payment/

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yep as soon as that got to the public domain this morning, BTC surged to a new ATH

And you soon can buy certain Tesla products .. using Bitcoin.

/M

I’d take 1 Bitcoin for my car right now :D

Gumbo wrote: »
    I’d take 1 Bitcoin for my car right now :D

You do know, that people can pay in fractions :) ... Like not everything costs at least 1 EUR.

:p

/M

You do know, that people can pay in fractions :) ... Like not everything costs at least 1 EUR.

:p

/M

Ssh, I’m hoping a buyer doesn’t know that :D

I'll sell my 7 year old Model S for 1BTC too. Then I will drive a banger for a year and this time next year I will buy a 2022 Model S plaid+ for that 1BTC, sounds like a plan, no? :p

• Advertisement

Plaid I think is where the money is at rather than plaid+
    You get the same performance, same drivetrain, just without the new fat cells and with less range (still >600km WLTP) for 20k less.
    €120k for a car with 1.99 0-60mph / 2.1 0-100km/h is absolutely , ludicrous

Advertisement