Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Plaid is just a gimmick, same old car with a few spoilers. Incrementally improved range and performance, sure. It's still the best EV out there.

Plaid+ has the new batteries which are far more efficient and can take much higher amperage. This will give yet unseen range and performance in any EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Plaid is not the same old car, it's gone from Bi- to Tri-motor and shaved half a second off the 0-60 time, along with adding ~250hp!

Yeah, like I said, incremental improvements :D

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a plaid. But if you're spending that sort of money, the €20k extra for the plaid+ is worth it imho. It is clear that Tesla do not want to stop people buying any Model S now and holding for another year until the plaid+ launches, but I reckon the performance (and range) of the plaid+ will be significantly better again, so good that I doubt any other production EV of similar price will beat it for at least another year or two. Tesla somehow manages to stay ahead of the pack, even with a now fairly old car.

Significantly better than 1.99 0-60 and you're into fainting from the G force territory :P
    Whatever about hypercars, at that time you're quicker than most hyperfast bikes!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Significantly better than 1.99 0-60 and you're into fainting from the G force territory :P

I'd like to try that for myself :p

But no, the G forces during a car's acceleration aren't all that high. 0-60 in 2.8s is just 1G

Let's say the Tesla will be able to do 0-60 in 1.4s (it won't), then we are talking 2G

A roller coaster is easily 4G, a drag race car 6-8G and humans can stand about 20G without being injured

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah, like I said, incremental improvements :D

... if you're spending that sort of money, the €20k extra for the plaid+ is worth it .......

You really are upsetting the fora with your loose views on "incremental" these days and you went and upset my Breaking Bad throwbacks with your new Avatar.
    Shame on you :pac:

Second snippet is bang on, dropping that money then the extra €20k is relatively spare change for folks with that deep a pocket.

Personally I think all the Teslaboys will be forgetting about any current Model S order and will be holding out for the Plaid, new S sales will take a big dip which I've stated previously Tesla are fine with as that will allow them more production time on the 3 and Y (and MCU replacements :o)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

You can't even order a new old model S anymore, you have to wait for the new spec. Inventory is pretty depleted globally too.

Even the new Long Range S is a great buy, 3.2s 0-60 is faster than a lot of the older performance models. Even with insane+ modes.

slave1 wrote: »
    You really are upsetting the fora with your loose views on "incremental" these days and you went and upset my Breaking Bad throwbacks with your new Avatar.
    Shame on you :pac:

The dog looks terrified of what "Elon the Redeemer" is going to do to him :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You can't even order a new old model S anymore, you have to wait for the new spec. Inventory is pretty depleted globally too.

Even the new Long Range S is a great buy, 3.2s 0-60 is faster than a lot of the older performance models. Even with insane+ modes.

I think this went largely unnoticed and under appreciated at launch.
    The standard MS, 3.2 to 60 is mega!

The range though, how does the LR model coming in at 663kms (estimated...) range move to 837kms??
    Okay so there's the tri motor but there was already regen, does the tri improve even marginally?

The LR is I would assume a 100kWh pack and Plaid+ larger, are Tesla going to pack fallow spaces with more battery? 130kWh, 150kWh?
    That has to be it...awaiting expensive teardown

• Advertisement

I certainly didnt notice it until Bjorn highlighted it.
    Big Jump from the older performance models, let alone the older standard models.

The range though, how does the LR model coming in at 663kms (estimated...) range move to 837kms??

4680s

But are they not in both variants?
    Would not make sense from a manufacturing perspective to have different battery packs on the line

No the 4680s will only go into the plaid+

The other two will keep using 18650s

But are they not in both variants?
    Would not make sense from a manufacturing perspective to have different battery packs on the line
    I guess they will streamline production so that either pack can be put in the body.

Plaid+ will be a relatively low volume seller. It's probably as much for them to test the 4680 cells before building the cybertruck at a much larger scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

i take it the plaid + is just going to be for the S or will they have it for the x later on.

Rumors that they cannot fit the larger 120kWh pack in the X, so there will not be a plaid +

Plaid+ will be a relatively low volume seller. It's probably as much for them to test the 4680 cells before building the cybertruck at a much larger scale.

Exactly. Cybertruck should be a major cash cow in the USA, basically even pulling the rednecks into the EV revolution. It will need to be good though to pull that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I guess they will streamline production so that either pack can be put in the body.

I'm guessing that the Plaid+ will be air suspension only, because that would be the easiest way to accommodate the extra 15mm cell height without grounding out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Loads of Teslas getting updated at the same time

Though obviously not updating via Starlink as the title claims.

• Advertisement

As for Starlink, you can now order it in most places in the world where Tesla does business, it claims to become available later this year. €99 deposit, fully refundable at any time if you decide not to go ahead. Checked my address last night and I could sign up. Over €500 hardware and install costs and €99 per month. Bit rich and my current internet connection is excellent (virginmedia), faster and cheaper

But I guess for people in areas with no broadband this would be a real option that they never had before. Also the price is expected to drop dramatically over the next few years as more and more people subscribe so eventually it could be a real option for people in developing countries who don't have any internet access at the moment. That is their plan anyway, we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Starlink sounds like a geat option for my holiday property in Connemara where I can only intermittently get a usable mobile signal. Might make it slightly easier to sell too, so I might owe Elon a thank you, on top of the one I owe him for the Bitcoin pump.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Starlink sounds like a geat option for my holiday property in Connemara where I can only intermittently get a usable mobile signal. Might make it slightly easier to sell too, so I might owe Elon a thank you, on top of the one I owe him for the Bitcoin pump.

You're half way there to becoming an Elon fanboi :pac:

But yeah, if you have starlink internet, you can make phone calls too (VOIP / WhatsApp / etc.), would make a huge difference from having no reception. Mind, the latter is relaxation bliss in a way too in a holiday home :)

You're half way there to becoming an Elon fanboi :pac:

But yeah, if you have starlink internet, you can make phone calls too (VOIP / WhatsApp / etc.), would make a huge difference from having no reception. Mind, the latter is relaxation bliss in a way too in a holiday home :)

Now don't go getting your hopes up there...

When you arrive at you holiday property to find that a light bulb is outputing only as much as a candle, and of the same colour as a flame, and you have to go for a bit of a walk to try and ring the ESB to ask them to go check their fuses, it's neither blissful or relaxing as it's really hard to even get 60% of the words in the conversation legible.

But once you get that out of the way, it can be nice to be cut off from the rest of the world. These days there's hardly any jets passing over high to spoil the illusion, either.

Get yourself some solar panels and a battery and there won't be any need go ring the ESB :)

Get yourself some solar panels and a battery and there won't be any need go ring the ESB :)

Don't think that's a good idea with a 128 year old slate roof on original timbers.

A 40 kw wind turbine is what's needed. solar panels are a joke in this country, speaking with my aussie hat on.

A 40kW wind turbine? :p That would cost you a thousand times more than it will ever generate...

Solar PV generation is rather good in Ireland, better than in many EU countries far more southerly than us. It seems you need to read up a bit more about renewables, your knowledge is a decade or two behind ;)

A 40kW wind turbine? :p That would cost you a thousand times more than it will ever generate...

Solar PV generation is rather good in Ireland, better than in many EU countries far more southerly than us. It seems you need to read up a bit more about renewables, your knowledge is a decade or two behind ;)

No it isn't. It does feck all in winter when you most need the power and it does absolutely nothing at night.

The wind turbine is needed to run my hypothetical year-round, always on, underfloor heat-pump heating system which doesn't exist.

But hey, if you want to prove solar is viable to heat a cut stone house with no insulation, I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong. Just buy the place from me and get to it :D

I currently have an off-market offer and sale in the works, but it may not happen as they need finance from an Irish bank, so I'm rather pessimistic.

There is even a large expanse south facing uncomplicated roof for you.

https://www.hitwind.com/product-category/1kw-150kw/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Just clicked on this thread and saw post #1 gave me a chuckle. I started buying up the stock in June 2020 but only seriously threw the kitchen sink at it in November. Average cost $477. Can’t believe I didn’t invest before now. I was shouting Apple from the rooftops in 2010 as soon as I got my hands on the iPhone 4. I’ve got a 10-15 year investment timeline so my entire portfolio is EV/Disruption/Genomics. Tesla is by far the stock I have most faith in. Wall St is still asleep on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Over €500 hardware and install costs and €99 per month. Bit rich and my current internet connection is excellent (virginmedia), faster and cheaper.

So about €9,500 cheaper by house than the government are paying for the national broadband scheme

Advertisement