Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

This quality engineer by trade is impressed by the quality of the Chinese Model 3.
    https://youtu.be/FlkE1K91Yzo?t=905
    His name is Stefan Schwunk and worked for Daimler in Bremen but is now moving to Tesla near Berlin
    His own car is an ID3 and he was highly impressed by the Citigo.

The U.S. one he checked appeared to be thrown together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

This quality engineer by trade is impressed by the quality of the Chinese Model 3.

I'm not sure if that's an indictment of Elon, or his US employees :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

https://youtu.be/mtUrh_fczRo

Good video on the MIC model 3 build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

https://youtu.be/FlkE1K91Yzo?t=905
    His name is Stefan Schwunk and worked for Daimler in Bremen but is now moving to Tesla near Berlin
    His own car is an ID3 and he was highly impressed by the Citigo.

American build quality has always been questionable on any products,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

For unkel and anyone else considering using their car battery to power their homes in the event of a power outage, it might not be a good idea.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1362934994306482179?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It has been said to me before by Tesla rangers (super sound guys), ANY tapping into Model S electrics can result in warranty voiding.
    For this reason I run my dashcam from the OBD port and whilst I have an inverter for house emergencies I will never use the Tesla, use our Leaf instead

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nope that won't hold. There's jurisprudence for that. It would be up to Tesla to prove that your occasionally using an inverter on the car's battery contributed to the battery failing. Which they can't, because it didn't.

From my own case, Tesla Sandyford knows I connect an inverter up to the battery via the 50A fused circuit that powers the DC posts behind the front nose cone. They not only told me that was fine, but when my car needed a new battery pack a few months later, nothing was said about it (and rightly so of course, as it's irrelevant)

Now if you would use the Tesla Supercharger round the corner from you and charge up everyday, only to come home to power your house, your Tesla power walls and your crypto mining rigs with it and the main battery in your car failed, that would be a different matter. And let's not forget, everything you and your Tesla do, is logged and can be read out by Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't think most people would fancy the superiority of their legal position to the point of ponying up for the cost of litigating against Tesla, who are the gatekeepers of the cars telemetry and data.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Tesla, who are the gatekeepers of the cars telemetry and data.

Indeed they are. That's why you have nothing to fear hooking up an inverter that you occasionally use. But of course if you are taking the p1ss like in my above example, they will have all the proof that they need at the touch of a few keys :D

slave1 wrote: »
    It has been said to me before by Tesla rangers (super sound guys), ANY tapping into Model S electrics can result in warranty voiding.

That's the operative word. They are right of course, if what you did caused a problem, then that would void your warranty. Nothing new here, it's the same for anything and everything. From your TV to your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Nope that won't hold. There's jurisprudence for that. It would be up to Tesla to prove...

Brave talk!

Tesla have form here. Remotely nerfing batteries to protect themselves from battery warranty issues, disabling DC charging if they get a hint the car has been repaired and you think the onus is on them to prove something! :)

It appears it’s expressly prohibited in their warranty docs so I think the onus is on the owner.

KCross wrote: »
    It appears it’s expressly prohibited in their warranty docs so I think the onus is on the owner.

Their warranty means nothing if it opposes laws / jurisprudence. Someone here will dig up what I mean. It was a US court case some years ago about someone who had modified their car.

Tesla is also very much in the public eye, anything they do that might hurt an individual is highlighted with a magnifying glass and spread all over the internet. I think they've learnt their lesson from a few of these cases over the past year or two

Their warranty means nothing if it opposes laws / jurisprudence.

There is no Irish law that will allow anyone use a product outside of its express design purpose and get an automatic right to warranty particularly when it’s in black and white that you are not to do it.

Of course Tesla can give goodwill but that’s a far cry from “nope, legal precedent, Tesla have to prove it”.

Tesla isn't interested in Irish law and they won't do anything to anyone like me who has used an inverter connected to the 12V battery to power their laptop and their fridge in their house during a powercut. The stuff was still there when I brought it in for a job, the service manager and I had a chat about it, a few months later I reported with a battery fault and my whole battery was replaced under warranty free of charge.

Old Chinese saying: if you stay in your house forever, you'll never get run over by a bus. And then you die anyway ;)

.... they won't do anything to anyone like me who has used an inverter connected to the 12V battery to power their laptop and their fridge in their house during a powercut.

I agree.

But if they have any inkling that you caused an issue by doing it they will void your warranty. That’s all that’s being pointed out.

KCross wrote: »
    I agree.

But if they have any inkling that you caused an issue by doing it they will void your warranty. That’s all that’s being pointed out.

For sure they will check the data and if you've abused the setup, they might make a case. If not, they won't. Nothing to do with any inklings I'd say, they're not a bloody Irish insurance company :p

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jd-power-dependability-survey-places-154311629.html

JD Power Dependability Survey Places Tesla Among Worst-Ranked Car Brands In US

"The survey covers original owners of three-year-old vehicles, so the 2021 study is reflective of 2018 vehicle models"

If they'd survey older ones would it have been worse I wonder?
    Before any knickers are twisted........ "J.D. Power held back from including Tesla in the official rankings, choosing instead to "profile" the electric vehicle maker. This is because, according to J.D. Power, Tesla doesn’t grant permission to survey owners of its cars in 15 states, unlike other manufacturers. "However, Tesla’s score was calculated based on a robust sample of surveys from owners in the other 35 states," J.D. Power said in a press release."

Augeo wrote: »
    If they'd survey older ones would it have been worse I wonder?

No doubt. The early cars were plagued with problems even with the important expensive bits (battery and motor)

Tesla has come up a good bit since then, but still has a long way to g. It looks like the Chinese cars are a big step up and no doubt the ones that will be made in Germany, up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Look who bought the 4 seater "executive rear seat" model S from Merlins
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s-model-model-70d-awd/27223669

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ELM327 wrote: »
    Look who bought the 4 seater "executive rear seat" model S from Merlins
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s-model-model-70d-awd/27223669

Near 40k for a car and they couldnt even bother taking decent pictures!

• Advertisement

So they think they will have an easier time selling it than the last dealer who tried for a year? :p

Apparently so.

Check out the last photo, MCU fuct

Yes but eligible for warranty replacement now. You'd think they'd do that as its free now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yes but eligible for warranty replacement now. You'd think they'd do that as its free now.

They may not be aware of it :)

/M

No doubt they're not aware of it. Most second hand car dealers are far from the nerdy experts like us in here :pac:

Reminds me of when I bought the Ioniq back in January 2017. I had to tell the Hyundai sales manager all about them, he hadn't a clue. But at least he was nice and keen enough to learn and he also did me some favours back. And he was willing to play ball and did me a good deal, beneficial to both of us. Better than 95% of car sales men in Ireland when it comes to EVs I guess...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You'd think it would have been mentioned, or done when the car was recently at Tesla as the ad states;
    This car has just returned to us from Tesla Ireland after a no expense spared Service.

I would like to see the invoice for that "no expense spared Service" :p

Paper never refuses ink, I highly doubt Tesla would let that car off their tenure with that message.
    That car has been up for sale in Irish dealers for almost a year now, I had it snipped for my VRT appeal when it was previously on sale for €40k and from memory it dropped further.
    That variant really is a disaster, those immovable back seats which restrict to a 4 seater kill it, with a car that size you don't want the restriction of not being able to drop the rear seats.
    €36k and they would want to buy your hands off...

• Advertisement

It sold at 31k odd in Merlins so there's a fair drop/negotiation room built in to the price.
    It was in ecocars for over a year. I was actually considering it for a while as it would be cheaper than mine and have free SuC but that immovable second row is a no go.

Advertisement