Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The back seats don't fold down? In that case, if you don't need practicality and only need to seat 4, you might as well buy a Model 3 :D

Iirc your man offered me almost as much for my 3 year old Ioniq in trade in as I paid brand new for the car. Goes to show that trade in value is meaningless...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes at 45k you'd be better off with a new or nearly new SR+
    But if you bought at 35k that's 10k saving vs model 3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

KCross wrote: »
    I did figure you were having a bad day that day and like any good relationship you'd be willing to forgive! :)

One of the reasons why I wouldnt go Tesla is the service side of things. Its all well and good for those in leinster or all the others who own one around the country saying the car has been flawless but when the day comes that you do need a service centre its a disaster that there is only one in the country and its several hours away. Thats basically a full day gone taking the car up there and probably another one collecting it... Tesla rangers arent the answer either.

They need more service centres.

Tesla expand as their numbers grow, check the UK and Ireland forum on Tesla Motors, their UK expansion of both service centres and superchargers has ramped up considerably this last year or so.
    I'm well looking forward to getting the ferry from Belfast and driving across Scotland and down major England road trip and all with free supercharging, whenever all this sh1te is over obviously.

I'd say we will be looking at Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Galway for service centres and then that's us

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

slave1 wrote: »
    I'd say we will be looking at Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Galway for service centres and then that's us

And that should really be sufficient for service centres.

/M

Yes it's SuC we need really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I'm thinking of taking the leap into a Model S after being converted by our electric Corsa.

From the research I've done the used model S market seems to be a bit of a minefield, and at least some of the cars that are on Carzone have been there a while. I thought about bringing one in from the UK (from Tesla's used inventory) but I'm presuming I'd have to pay VAT (although according to the VRT calculator €0 VRT for a '16) so could probably get a similar priced car here from what I can see.

Anyone have any experience buying a used Model S here or bringing one in since the Brexit changes, budget is up to about 45k but the less the better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Tesla expand as their numbers grow, check the UK and Ireland forum on Tesla Motors, their UK expansion of both service centres and superchargers has ramped up considerably this last year or so.

Will that translate to little old Ireland though? Expansion has not really happened to date. Will Tesla get enough of the car market here to justify expanding.

Elon may not see us as important enough to spend the capital. Its a much easier decision in the UK with many cities having population sizes that are bigger than all of Ireland put together.

That would do nicely.

Chicken and egg though.... will they wait for the sales to occur before expanding and will people outside leinster buy in large numbers without local service?! :)

Gatster wrote: »
    I'm thinking of taking the leap into a Model S after being converted by our electric Corsa.

From the research I've done the used model S market seems to be a bit of a minefield, and at least some of the cars that are on Carzone have been there a while. I thought about bringing one in from the UK (from Tesla's used inventory) but I'm presuming I'd have to pay VAT (although according to the VRT calculator €0 VRT for a '16) so could probably get a similar priced car here from what I can see.

Anyone have any experience buying a used Model S here or bringing one in since the Brexit changes, budget is up to about 45k but the less the better :D

At 45k you're at the crossover between used S and new Model 3 SR+

If it were my money I'd look to spend less (UK market is closed now since brexit with VAT and possible import duty) and buy a cheaper used S here like this one which would be a fair bit cheaper, or up the budget to 46k and buy a new model 3 like this one which if you can live without the S hatchback, is the better deal IMO.

I imported my S from Tesla UK about 18months ago and it was a better process then!

ELM327 wrote: »

I imported my S from Tesla UK about 18months ago and it was a better process then!

Good to know, thanks for that. I'm looking for a bigger car than the 3, and much prefer the looks of the S.

Did you buy from Tesla or just a car dealer? Concerned about warranty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You should really forget about UK imports post Brexit, an original NI registered Model S is really your only import choice now.

I also imported, you can buy from Tesla direct but that will be a UK mainland import so forget about that.
    I would place zero value in a UK based dealer warranty given costs of getting a car back to them if anything goes wrong.

I went private sale with Tesla warranty which is attracted to the car and not the owner, I felt (and still do feel) this is the optimal route.
    In recent months prices of Teslas have increased in any case so the time to import has all but collapsed unfortunately.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Bought from Tesla direct as a CPO car (not really offered anymore). Now they have "inventory" and "used" cars. You'll get hamstrung if you try to import one now though. Best to either buy whats here, buy a new model 3, or contact someone like Phil in Electric Autos and see if he can import a used S for you.

Dealers here often have access to ex vat cars in the UK auctions that the private punter in ROI dont.

I would place zero value in a UK based dealer warranty given costs of getting a car back to them if anything goes wrong.

My idea there was warranty from Tesla itself, not a random dealer, but it seems like too much of a nightmare. I've imported plenty of ICE cars up to about 2019.

Ideally I'd like a grey or black with a sunroof, but this might do (from the North):

https://www.mccuddymotors.ie/for-sale/2016-tesla-model-s-85d-top-spec-pan-roof-autop-26745158

They seem pretty reliable..some state there is 'extended warranty' which I'm taking to mean not just the 8 year battery/power plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

My idea there was warranty from Tesla itself, not a random dealer, but it seems like too much of a nightmare. I've imported plenty of ICE cars up to about 2019.

Tesla warranty only applies if it's under 4 years old or is a CPO car sold by Tesla within 1-2 years.

Either that, or the warranty has to been extended before it expired.

Or you buy it from Tesla of course.

/M

Did you buy from Tesla or just a car dealer? Concerned about warranty.

I bought my Model S last year from Tesla UK when it was 6 years old. Came with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty.

I've had a few door handles replaced, the MCU1 daughterboard replaced, the whole battery pack replaced and some minor fixes like the sunroof (which is not quite right yet) and they changed a light bulb for me.

I have some condensation in a rear light cluster, so it will go back for that soon (not urgent)

Unless you can buy the car as a company, importing from GB is out of the question now, unless sterling strongly depreciates. You could import from NI though as there would be zero VAT and zero import duty if the car was on NI plates before this year

Or of course buy in Ireland, but there are very few of them for sale and it looks like the existing cars have gone up in value because of brexit - or at least are keeping their value very well

Go test drive a Model S in Sandyford. Brilliant cars, the performance and the practicality and a lot of the tech are still unmatched by any other car. But they are very big (bigger than a Mercedes S-class or BMW 7-series). I don't want to be sexist here, but a lot of female drivers find them daunting to drive and park, so if you have a female partner, get her to drive it too. From my wife and from hearing from others, you do get used to it, but some places would be out of bounds or be very challenging, like some multistory car parks or even drive throughs.

Literally nothing in the Tesla Ireland inventory right now, but I'm not in a mad rush. If I could find one privately that had the Tesla extended warranty I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Think the CPO warranty is almost none existent anymore. There was an Irish inventory car recently with a good warranty but was the first in years and snapped up within the day. The days of the old 4 year CPO warranty are gone (still have 18 months left on mine and for an almost 6 year old car gives a lot of comfort). Have you thought what model you are looking for?
    Literally nothing in the Tesla Ireland inventory right now, but I'm not in a mad rush. If I could find one privately that had the Tesla extended warranty I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

You'd probably be better off buying a second hand model 3 performance, theres a few for sale I think and you'd still have 3 years warranty buying a one year old car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

With the mess Tesla have made of the release of the new S/X, there probably won’t be any new stock available here for at least 18 months. Anyone with an S/X looking to trade up will either hold onto them for longer so Tesla won’t have much used stock. Brexit means no UK imports either. All this combined will make it hard to buy any S/X here for quite a while.

I bought mine a little over a year ago and was kicking myself because it’s been sitting in front of the house for almost all that time. On the other hand, if I tried to get one one now, there’s only one matching one for sale in Ireland right now.

What did you get? They are rather expensive ornaments but good fun those few times you do get out for a spin.
    I am not sure the price will go up for used cars. I have tried selling mine on two occasions now (admittedly price was probably too high but then allocated value to me). I think in general people are reluctant to pay so much for an older car.
    markpb wrote: »
    With the mess Tesla have made of the release of the new S/X, there probably won’t be any new stock available here for at least 18 months. Anyone with an S/X looking to trade up will either hold onto them for longer so Tesla won’t have much used stock. Brexit means no UK imports either. All this combined will make it hard to buy any S/X here for quite a while.

I bought mine a little over a year ago and was kicking myself because it’s been sitting in front of the house for almost all that time. On the other hand, if I tried to get one one now, there’s only one matching one for sale in Ireland right now.

Smck1983 wrote: »
    Have you thought what model you are looking for?
    Ideally a 75 or 85 with a sunroof. I reckon there's about 12-15 available between here and NI in my budget.

This one has the below in the ad, but it's higher miles than I'd like:
    "Full 8yr extended warranty insurance cover included up to 2023"

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/tesla/model-s/used-2015-151-tesla-model-s-e85-5dr-a-sligo-fpa-201910263726329

I don’t really want a model 3. Personally I don’t think they’re a good looking car, and I want something bigger.

• Advertisement

Looks nice. Yeah the model S despite being a 9 year old design still looks amazing. I have the P85D with ludicrous. You cannot beat the sunroof on a sunny day.

Strange on the warranty could be one of the third part ones or could just be the battery? Need to contact them and ask. Assume free supercharging would transfer as only one previous owner (although depends where you are based / driving how much value in it).
    Ideally a 75 or 85 with a sunroof. I reckon there's about 12-15 available between here and NI in my budget.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/tesla/model-s/used-2015-151-tesla-model-s-e85-5dr-a-sligo-fpa-201910263726329

I don’t really want a model 3. Personally I don’t think they’re a good looking car, and I want something bigger.

That looks pretty decent for the money at first sight. But.....

I suspect the warranty he mentions is just for battery and drivetrain though. All cars are covered for 8 years with unlimited mileage.

It's a private sale so I suspect there is no other warranty on the car. Also no mention of NCT and you can't check this and other stuff like accident history and finance owing with the license plate covered, what is he hiding? :rolleyes:

Unless the seller has proof all of the above is false and that the car indeed still has Tesla CPO bumper to bumper warranty, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless there is a significant discount available

unkel wrote: »
    That looks pretty decent for the money at first sight. But.....

I suspect the warranty he mentions is just for battery and drivetrain though. All cars are covered for 8 years with unlimited mileage.

It's a private sale so I suspect there is no other warranty on the car. Also no mention of NCT and you can't check this and other stuff like accident history and finance owing with the license plate covered, what is he hiding? :rolleyes:

Unless the seller has proof all of the above is false and that the car indeed still has Tesla CPO bumper to bumper warranty, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless there is a significant discount available
    I'd agree with all your points! That was more just an example as I'd prefer > 2016. I'll find out more tomorrow to see how legit it is, or isn't :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nice car.
    Sun roof.
    The wheels are 21”, not 20”.
    AP1 according to the ad.
    Ew battery is a good thing so don’t let that put you off.

The 8myear warranty is on all Tesla’s so query that one as per unkels advice.

This one is better value

Linky

Facelift model too and should have AP2 hardware. Is not active though, so that would set you back €2k for Tesla to do, which would bring the car up to €42k. What's your budget?

This is for sale from a garage, so comes with a warranty. You could negotiate a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty (with them covering any bills from Tesla) if they are amenable to that (I guess you would have to pay at least the full asking price of the car for that)

Out of interest how do you know the AP2 Is not active? Are miles an issue on these?

Because I rang the seller :p

Miles not an issue.

Good shout I see it has the side cameras so could get sentry etc which is one thing I really miss on the older car.
    unkel wrote: »
    This one is better value

Linky

Facelift model too and should have AP2 hardware. Is not active though, so that would set you back €2k for Tesla to do, which would bring the car up to €42k. What's your budget?

This is for sale from a garage, so comes with a warranty. You could negotiate a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty (with them covering any bills from Tesla) if they are amenable to that (I guess you would have to pay at least the full asking price of the car for that)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Smck1983 wrote: »
    Good shout I see it has the side cameras so could get sentry etc which is one thing I really miss on the older car.

I think that would also require a MCU upgrade.

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    I think that would also require a MCU upgrade.
    Yes and that;s another 1500 quid, 2000 if you want radio (which I did).

It's a no brainer on any AP2 car to get the upgrade as you also get HW3 if you paid for FSD.

Advertisement