Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So before today the only EV's I ever drove were the Model 3 SR+ we test drove, and then the Model 3 SR+ we own.

Now I can add to that list a Model S 90D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So before today the only EV's I ever drove were the Model 3 SR+ we test drove, and then the Model 3 SR+ we own.

Now I can add to that list a Model S 90D

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,894 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What do you think of it?
    I actually loved the M3 SR+ I drove and find it a nicer more spirited drive than my S in the corners.

Feels a bit bigger alright, feels heavier too, and a little laggy on the gas (almost feels a bit like getting back into an ICE). It's not locked in chill mode, and has FSD (well, auto lane change anyway).

Lovely and soft smooth ride, especially over bumps, and just an all round nice car to drive..
    Does feel older inside compared to the model 3 (it's a 172), but it still has that premium feel to it.
    Didn't realise It had auto lane change until I was on the M50 in lane 1 using auto steer, and indicated expecting it to disengage, but it stayed engaged and then pulled into lane 2 just lovely.
    You can feel the auto steer moving the wheel a lot more than you do in the Model 3, but it holds very well, and I actually overtook some cars/trucks while on auto steer, which I dont do in the Model 3 as it hugs too far to the left of the lane for my liking.

I don't like the big steering wheel compared to the 3. It feels quite roomy inside, though I have banged my knee a few times off the bottom of the screen.

Given that from here on in they'll have vertical screens, I could definitely see myself going for one when our Model 3 getting on.
    OH loves it as well.

ELM327 wrote: »
    What do you think of it?
    I actually loved the M3 SR+ I drove and find it a nicer more spirited drive than my S in the corners.

The SR+ is definitely zippier, and I absolutely love it the way it is. The S feels more like a barge, or a cruiser....

I just drove it home (50km), will bring it to the shops shortly, and drive it back to Tesla tomorrow, and there'll be no messing around, or gunning it in someone else €75k car!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,292 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What year is it? Does it have air suspension?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Your M3 okay Andy?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

unkel wrote: »
    What year is it? Does it have air suspension?

its a 172.

It must do. going over bumps, it's softer than balloons of babys farts...

What do you think of it?

I had he M3P and found the same.
    I liked the planted, if clinical feeling of the Dual Motor and although it only has a "bit" more power than my MSP, it felt so much faster IMO.

I found it similar to comparing the E60 5 Series (MS) V the E90 3 Series (M3P).

slave1 wrote: »
    Your M3 okay Andy?

yeah, just a very few minor niggly issues I want looked at before the car is a year old next week.

sometimes when indicating left (half press for 3 flashes only), it doesn't always happen... mainly on roundabouts, but also happens on motorways when pulling in after an overtake.... annoying (no issues with this in the S, it's good and solid, old skool)

then there's a slight knocking/tapping sound that I occasionally hear from in front of the front bulkhead, sounds almost like a loose wiring loom/junction box, just tapping away when going through bendy roads...

the rear windows would both screech when opening/closing, but that miraculously solved itself yesterday (temperature no different to when it was happening before)

Then getting really pedantic, the vegan wrap on a small part of the steering wheel has an air gap under it. I dont expect this to be remedied, but did say I was willing to swap for a new heated wheel if they had one knocking around.

and finally my fat ass has resulted in a bit of a screech from the drivers seat mounts when I rock back and forward going through bends/bumps (careful now!!), so asked if that could be looked at too!!

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    I had he M3P and found the same.
    I liked the planted, if clinical feeling of the Dual Motor and although it only has a "bit" more power than my MSP, it felt so much faster IMO.

I found it similar to comparing the E60 5 Series (MS) V the E90 3 Series (M3P).

Unrelated but my favorite daily car I owned was my first e60 535d. Explains why I like the barginess of the S.

Unrelated but my favorite daily car I owned was my first e60 535d. Explains why I like the barginess of the S.

I kinda liked E60's, I had an E60 520d, 525d & a remapped 535d :)
    I had the one in the middle too, a 530d but it was an e39 :)

My brother has an F10 535d Remapped as a taxi floating about Dublin too.

I don't like the planted of AWD unless you can nearly switch it off like in Model 3 Performance in track mode, but it makes the acceleration very quick. From memory a bog standard S 90D has roughly the same acceleration as a P85 RWD but it's quicker in the wet :D
    its a 172.

One for the experts - does the auto lane change mean it is AP2 and FSD or AP1 and EAP, or something else?

It must do. going over bumps, it's softer than balloons of babys farts...

Check in the settings if you can change the ride height. If so it's air suspension alright. But even the steel suspension rides a lot softer than the Model 3 SR+

unkel wrote: »
    I don't like the planted of AWD unless you can nearly switch it off like in Model 3 Performance in track mode, but it makes the acceleration very quick. From memory a bog standard S 90D has roughly the same acceleration as a P85 RWD but it's quicker in the wet :D

One for the experts - does the auto lane change mean it is AP2 and FSD or AP1 and EAP, or something else?

Check in the settings if you can change the ride height. If so it's air suspension alright. But even the steel suspension rides a lot softer than the Model 3 SR+

AP1

AP2 didnt start until March 2018 builds

Well, their going to replace the steering wheel for me anyway!!! Under warranty of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

AP1
    AP2 didnt start until March 2018 builds

Are you sure? Mine was built sometime in late 2017, first registered in Q1-18 and has APv2.5 and EAP.

Yeah I thought AP2 was some time in 2017 builds too.

Yes guys, I was wrong there. March '18 was for MCU2 not AP2 change.
    I think AP2 started in early 2017.

gave back the loaner 90D, and I'm back in the SR+ again.

The S was lovely, smooth, and plenty quick (As a point of order, I'd like to redact my above comment about it being laggy), but getting back into & driving the 3 felt great again.

The S was lovely, smooth, and plenty quick (As a point of order, I'd like to redact my above comment about it being laggy), but getting back into & driving the 3 felt great again.
    This is a feeling I can share. Even when I had a Ludicrous Performance S (not in chill mode) I was still delighted to sit back into Severus and leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

What was wrong with the SR+ ?
    I did scroll back a bit but could not see a post about the issue.

jusmeig wrote: »
    What was wrong with the SR+ ?
    I did scroll back a bit but could not see a post about the issue.

a few tiny issues;
    The slight knocking I could hear was the windscreen washer hose was loose somewhere under the hood.. I actually think it's worse now!! but I'll investigate myself now that I know what they were at.

rear windows were dry in the sliders, so they lubricated them

indicator issue, they couldn't replicate, and in fairness I haven't seen it in a week or 2 either, so that's still an open ended item - next time it happens though I've to bug report it, and let them know so they can check the black box....

last thing was a small bit of the vegan wrap around the steering wheel was a little loose, as in there was a small air gap under a very small area of it.. I wasn't expecting much from this, but they are going to replace the steering wheel for me under warranty in 2-3 weeks when the part arrives... and it'll be a ranger job.

Interesting to see if I end up with the newer refresh wheel with the metal buttons, or an original.....

So chaps, circumstances have changed and unbelievably after all the work I did, I will be selling the S in the near future.
    I think, rather than faffing about like I did last time I decided to sell (although this time the decision has been made for me, out of my control) I will simply contact Phil in Electric autos and ask him to sell on my behalf.

Has anyone done this before, how does it work? Do the garage keep the car on their premises and if so how does that work with insurance etc?

He can just buy the car off you. Ask him (and the other second hand EV dealers) how much he will give you. Would you not try sell privately first? It should make you several thousand more, but obviously it's hassle.

Don't have the time to wait unfortunately. Not disclosing the reasons here right now but suffice it to say it needs to go in weeks not months.

Just typing up a message to the EV dealers and seeing what they would offer. It's a hard sell but I don't need to make a profit just clear the finance.

Sorry you have to sell it. At least put up a reference in the buying / selling and the bargains threads (for a bit more than what those dealers are offering)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sorry to hear, what ballpark are you hoping for ELM?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Sorry you are selling, I hope it’s nothing serious and just car related.

Forgot to ask them last week when I dropped the loaner back, but how do they handle the M50 Toll in the loaners? Do I need to pay, or do Tesla comp it?

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask them last week when I dropped the loaner back, but how do they handle the M50 Toll in the loaners? Do I need to pay, or do Tesla comp it?

I went through the toll a few times in a loaner, had the same thoughts as yourself but then I forgot about it and never heard from it. I presume Tesla pay for it although the cars do not have toll tags, but perhaps they have the license plates registered and the cars are recognised by video

Advertisement