Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Stopped for a SuC at Ballacolla today, Tesla ranger there and doing bits n bobs on a few customer cars, said hello and he topped up my windscreen washer and washed my windscreen as a nice friendly gesture, nice touch...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

slave1 wrote: »
    Stopped for a SuC at Ballacolla today, Tesla ranger there and doing bits n bobs on a few customer cars, said hello and he topped up my windscreen washer and washed my windscreen as a nice friendly gesture, nice touch...
    The same experience. Funny bit I got "washer fluid low" warning when merging on M8, next think the Tesla ranger asks me if I want to get the fluid topped up. Class :)

They told me they'll have two "express locations" Cork and Galway for people to drive to and have small jobs done or diagnostics, questions answered. I think they try to alleviate the fear of not having a local dealer nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

The art of deflection marketing is alive and well at Tesla yet again this week, with their Tesla bot.

robotics engineers the world over must be laughing their asses off at Musks assertion that they’ll build a robot for ‘boring, mundane, repetitive’ tasks and then making it in a humanoid form :D

boring task: washing dishes, washing clothes, vacuuming - all of these have robotic solutions and none of them are in human form.

they also gave the example of it doing groceries, but one of robotics great issues is with picking up varying shapes and sizes.

Why not update us all on the massive delays to the model Y, semi truck, cyber truck and roadster and stop deflecting with this crap, which will likely never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Because it was an AI event, so those vehicles production updates aren't relevant to it?

Well he claimed at the event that Tesla was probably the worlds largest producer of robots - the assertion being I assume that driving is a mundane task and a self driving car is a robot that does it for you.

every time people get weary of the Tesla story, a press event is held where something new and magical is announced in order to deflect from whatever is going on behind the scenes.

Deflection marketing 101. He’s been doing it for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Still you have to laugh. He was taking the piss with that guy in a jumpsuit prancing around and the fanbois all lapped it up. I think sk8board's point is that they do these - never gonna happen - AI events in order to distract from the fact(?) that there are no updates on cybertruck.

I mean hey, it’s all just billionaire games right, it doesn’t matter in the broader scheme of things!

in the 5-6 years since the M3 announcement I think his need to answer to shareholders and social media is turning him into a charlatan.

almost everything he says or tweets lacks substance, or eventually gets utterly disproven, and there doesn’t appear to be an Andy Jassy or Satya Nadella in the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not even cybertruck- there's no MY in europe, no MS/MX in europe, no MX anywhere, and limited MS rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can order Model Y in Europe. But LHD only (MIC)

a car company with just 1 current model that we can buy and deliver here, and 1.5 models at a push worldwide

• Advertisement

I think we all know Telsa is a future loaded company, they had the MS vision, then the MX, then the cash from both to move forward with the M3 and along the way created the unrivalled SuC network. Factory expansions in multiple US locations, Europe and China. The turnaround time from green field to production in China was unreal.

This is all future loaded, everything laid out will happen but not within timelines originally laid out (and analysts know this) and folks here sometimes mix dates up, there's no MY Giga Berlin delay.

I would not be surprised if there was a short dated M2 launch once GiGa Berlin up and running and once Tesla go after that market it will explode.

Lest we not forget, without Tesla (and in fairness Nissan in the early days) we would not have our multiple EV options like the Kia, Hyundai, VW etc

Ah now that's a bt too far in the other direction. In the US you can order a Y or 3 for delivery next week. And S or X for Mar-Apr delivery.

I seriously doubt Ireland is anywhere near the top of their concerns. They are an American car company with the US their top market so if they don't care too much about Europe because they cannot make enough cars to keep up with domestic demand, that's not a huge problem asthey are expanding production capacity.

M3 has been a huge hit worldwide. People were saying similar disparaging things before M3 came out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

I've seen US-based people post online about their S/X orders being delayed to Q4 this year. That's a long time to wait in their home market, especially at a time when other manufacturers are waking up to the EV market and are starting to eat their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

All manufacturers are hitting the same problem this year due to chip shortages and the like.... deliveries being delayed to Q4 and beyond... even the big guns like VW, so I wouldnt make any assumptions about Tesla exploding just on that fact.

You cant believe anything Musk says though... all with a pinch of salt.

Tesla’s manufacturing numbers are all public in their filings - just under 1% of cars built and cars delivered during Q2 were model S or X (2,000 built, 1.8k delivered)

they don’t split 3 and Y, but it’s the other 99% (204,000).

these announcements, and cybertruck etc over the years (even the X to a great extent), create a vibe of a software company that’s doing all these other cool future projects - most of which they’ll never deliver.

they’re manufacturing bleeding edge electric cars, and now so are loads of others, for far better value - so Tesla need to constantly feed the ‘future’ argument by throwing out these crazy ideas.

a bot, in a humanoid form, powered by the FSD module, to do mundane daily tasks, simply takes the cake and isn’t even feasible or logical.

the lads are RoomBa will dine out on this Tesla PR for a while :D

@sk8board - For far better value?

Can't say I agree there. Tesla don't sell budget cars, perhaps that is your point?

No coincidence that they released the Bot nonsense a few days after the FSD investigation was opened either!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭3d4life

Quarterly fin reporting has resulted in manufacturing being in 3 month cycles. 3rd quarter capacity now fully allocated. So orders placed now go into the last quarter. Export product made first ( to give time for shipping ) so US ( S & X ) orders wont ship 'till around the last 6 weeks of the quarter. This pattern has existed for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can just imagine what a domestic bot without LIDAR in a home with small children and pets is going to do, when it's 4 wheeled ancestors can't identify a stopped police vehicle, ambulance, fire engine, lane dividing concrete barrier or turning truck.

Carnage will ensue.

I seriously doubt it’ll come to pass - not in its current form of a 5”8 humanoid thing doing 5mph.

Marques Brownlee has a vid up today which is along the same sentiment - yes Tesla could build a robot, they have the software and the chips, but don’t make it a human shape, with legs and fingers etc - we’re a very inefficient form for a lot of mundane tasks!

• Advertisement

Opposable thumbs rule!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭zg3409

Tesla Design Studio being put together in Mahon Point, Cork by a Spanish crew

Basically a small showroom near the superchargers. Not a coming soon, but on site prefab thingy.

Photos stolen from facebook

Only a positive as they look to expand even further in Ireland, whatever leads to more SuC the better

FSD still miles away:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/cars/tesla-fsd-delay/index.html

it’ll be interesting to see when the wider market stops believing the FSD story that Tesla have told for many years now and never really delivered much more than a best-in-class adaptive cruise with lane keep assist.

it was synonymous with their brand, even my 75yo mother equates ‘Tesla’ as ‘that car that drives itself’, even though it technically hasn’t yet, and the others all have solutions only a year or two behind, with Super Cruise probably on a par already.

Revolutions are difficult.

Post edited by sk8board on

FSD is an impossibility. I believe driving at that level requires general intelligence. We will have colonised the satellites of Jupiter long before we ever crack that nut, if we ever do, which I doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Naa, Elon said it'll just be a couple of more weeks 🤩.

Impossible, LOL. The boggo Tesla "AutoPilot" - a modest level 2 autonomous system that doesn't deserve its name - is already far, far safer than the average "generally intelligent" human being. And that's based on statistics from several years ago.

Statistics from Tesla without any data on the number of driver interventions, without any independent review, and such a lie the TSB told them to stop making the claims. The Norwegian safety rate is one death per 600 million km driven, which is further than Jupiter and is so close to zero no non general intelligence AI system will better it.

This is an important point. The numbers being cited are not the result of an impartial study. This is a repost of a video from earlier this week on the FSD still trying to mow down pedestrians. Tesla made the original poster take down the video asserting DMCA. They wouldn't do that if they had nothing to hide. Using open roads and pedestrians as test subjects is a violation of a number of ethics rules in science research.

https://twitter.com/k_pendergrast/status/1438545080193720345

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭zg3409

Advertisement