Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Just tease us with the power wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nope, outside of ESB specs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

A "Design Studio"?

Chose from 5 colours, 2 wheel sizes & 2 interior colours. On your phone.

Design studio!!!! 😲

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wonder is the PowerWall there to power the 'studio'? and I wonder is the roof decked out in Solar panels?

From the pictures, I don't see any cables going to/from the box... unless there were pre-existing power cables already in that particular spot...

The charger has power anyway!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interesting, moves to the "outside of Budget specs" so....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

Cybertruck initial production now hoped to be late 2022 and deliveries 2023, so realistically it’s probably still about 2 years away, which would be 4 years after the announcement.

Got the Andriod App update, prefer the look of the older one, liked the heavy shading of the vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭zg3409

Supposedly the show room in Cork is now open with someone visiting it according to Facebook, at Mahon Point shopping centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Hertz ordered 100,000 Teslas to be delivered over the next 14 months

Model 3 rentals will start to become available in parts of US and Europe next month. They will have access to Superchargers and Hertz are also rolling out their own infrastructure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah Tesla’s paint will fall off and Hertz will charge you €17,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Was just looking to rent a car in DE/AT and there is no decent option to get an EV. Only Tesla can provide a seamless experience. Can you imagine a first time EV driver trying to charge using instructions in a different language finding broken chargers hooking up the wrong cable and all that.

For the paint there is insurance.

This is great news for any manufacturer who has the ability to provide EVs. SUVs, Crossovers, compact hatchbacks are all needed by the rental companies. They may not need the sales now but a few years down the line the volume will be welcome.

Also, another avenue for future used market

I assume the need to return a car with a full "tank of petrol" will be removed. Such a waste of time for me when I'm returning a hire car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

I can’t see it going away. Hertz will still want cars ready to go to the next customer as quickly as possible. Unless they plan to fit a bank of fast chargers at their (busy) locations, cars will still need to be returned with a reasonable SoC.

It’s definitely a pain but at least it’s one that you have the option to make go away with money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Didn't Hertz file for bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy in the U.S. is a means of shedding debt and getting ahead of your competitors.

Thanks. Would they file bankruptcy again if they can't pay Tesla? Or do they only stiff their workers and smaller creditors?

• Advertisement

More to the point, I am reading that the Tesla botched FSD software release and rollback turned off AEB and FCW without notifying end-users. That sounds kind of dangerous.

I guess the cars will only trickle in so limited risk for Tesla. I'd be more worried about prices being depressed when the cars are sold on afterwards by Hertz. So far Tesla hasn't been hurt by not supporting their residuals but it becomes an important topic if they want to go mainstream.

Tesla doesn't need profit but the financial markets won't like it if it slashes retail prices. It just needs to keep volumes up. It gets volume from this and they can fudge their margin. It doesn't have to worry about such tiresome topics as paying dividends to investors.

The EV space is seeing many new competitors. Tesla doesn't have the first mover advantage for much longer. It was able to get by not supporting residuals because it was seen as a niche products and not enough people cared. I would think that in 2-3 years time EVs would be more common but demand would still outstrip supply. People would just have more EVs to chose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Also aren't all the legacy companies selling EVs at a loss to meet GHG emissions targets? Or was that just VAG?

they are not selling their cars at a loss. They are in general the highest margin products they have but putting on the poor mouth to keep the subsidies as long as possible.

I don't disagree with that at all. I have a Tesla too mind. But for many people charging is not super important as they do 99% of their charging at home. They might want to save a few bob and buy an ID.3 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Is the ID3 not a similar price (as an SR+) when you add a few extras like heat pump ,lumbar support? Couldn't find leather seats as an option on any of them. I know that's with a bigger battery but it's also a smaller, slower, less efficient car.

And reminds me of a golf plus 😂

I drove a golf for 8yrs before moving to EVs so nothing personal against VW 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Main difference is Tesla dont do PCP in Ireland. So getting your bum into an equally priced one costs much more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

"It sounds like Hertz plans to make half of its recently ordered Tesla fleet available to Uber drivers through this new partnership.

The program starts on November 1 in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Washington, DC, with a nationwide expansion in the following weeks.

Uber drivers will pay $334 a week to rent the Model 3, insurance and maintenance included. Uber says that it will eventually fall to $299 a week, once the program expands."

Advertisement