Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

I think I'd prefer to be an Uber driver with one of the Korean saloons with bumper to bumper warranty which retail under $20k but each to their own. It will be interesting to see if Customers are willing to select the Tesla Uber driver ahead of an ICE Uber driver all other things remaining equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Some clown managed to let his Model S run out of power on the entry ramp in Westfield shopping centre, trapping others for over 3 hours. I wonder if he was taking a chance on getting to the 24 superchargers in the building and just didn’t quite get there. Really shouldn’t be letting it get that low before going for a charge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I bet if it was a Nissan, BMW, Audi, Hyundai, Kia, VW, Opel, MG, Renault of any other make of EV, it wouldn't have mentioned that fact in the headline..... but because it was a Tesla.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Or an ICE that ran out of petrol for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

People make mistakes, we're just human. It could just as easily have been a regular car experiencing a mechanical breakdown. The fact that it apparently took three hours to resolve the situation is the real problem. Why couldn't the cars behind be guided out backwards? Could they not have towed the car a short distance so it was out of the way? Was there no breakdown recovery service with a portable charger nearby? It's not like this happened in a car park in Termonfeckin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Interesing there was no emergency plan in action. What if there was a fire? Is there only one ramp? Sounds a bit strange to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That would have been resolved in 20min or less, not 3 hours. You can push an ICE that has run out of petrol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You can push a Tesla, just engage tow mode

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

It is reckless driving anyway. Like running out of petrol on motorway it is preventable. Any EV gives a lot of warning and runs on fumes for about 10km in "turtle mode". Even after it stops can be put in Tow mode and manually pushed. No need for 3 hours frustration.

It's totally wreckless, there's a bottom buffer worth a good 30kms in the S, that driver would have been on empty for quite a while before coming to a halt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like the first MegaCharger site is nearing completion for the Tesla Semi.

And if the Pepsi CEO is to be believed, they are expecting first deliveries in Q4 (though probably not likely this year!)

https://twitter.com/sawyermerritt/status/1457720604552007693?s=21

Look at all those cabinets lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The service center in Cork has been moved to Mahon point as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 35,914 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is filming yourself doing 90 mph in a residential area smart, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

I can’t imagine many owners were badly affected by the outage. M3s use Bluetooth, not API to unlock and start the car so that only leaves S/X owners and, quite frankly, if you rely on your phone having battery, the car having reception and everything in between working, you need to rethink that strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I watched Asian Petrolhead's videos of some of the Korean EVs in the last while. He likes to test acceleration and handling. With the speedo blurred out. For entirely legitimate reasons, I'm sure 😉

Absolutely. The app is for convenience but you should always have the key with you. Tesla manual suggests to have it in the same place where your driving licence is. This is really a first world problem. The cries are more for attention than anything else. After an upgrade the app logged me out but I was still able to open and start the car. I couldn't start the heating or open the frunk remotely. Tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Some of that video was blurred. So if they left in 90mph in , I can only image what was blurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Tesla forced to turn down €1.1bn in EU support for German battery plant

"Tesla has been forced to turn down more than €1.1bn in European subsidies for its planned battery plant near Berlin after delays to the flagship project breached a key condition of the funding.

The electric car maker had applied for the money through an EU programme established to develop the battery industry on the continent.

The EU requires any sites in receipt of the funds to be the “first industrial deployment” of the technology, according to official documents, meaning the batteries cannot already be made at another Tesla plant.

But legal challenges to the construction of the plant, which will produce cars first before making batteries, have delayed its opening by several months. That means the company, whose valuation hit $1tn earlier this year, is likely to begin producing the same batteries elsewhere sooner.

The German government confirmed on Friday that Tesla was no longer seeking the subsidies but declined to comment further."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

Yet more deflection from Tesla this week to hide more delivery date slippage

announced some sort of expensive niche kids toy quad, and a $50 whistle, while quietly pushing the dates out on the bread and butter S and X customers (i.e non-plaid) until “mid 2023” :)

S and X were the cash cows to get to the 3 and Y, now we have 3 and Y the S and X are peripheral and niche from a Tesla perspective

I wouldn't touch the new S anyhow, don't like the dependence on screen tech

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

S and X have not been bread and butter customers for some time.

BMW sell a few 7 series but make their money on small compact SUVs and repmobile 3 series. Tesla is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

its becoming nonsensical lads. if they said when the refresh was announced that it would be 20-24months to initial deliveries, they’d have very few sales - so instead they get in the deposits and hope people won’t cancel while they continuously disappoint them (cybertruck, roadster, semi etc etc, all announced over 2 years ago!)

Look at the buzz and order chat we see here for lots of other EV models in the €50-80k bracket, all being delivered within months of product unveiling.

Meanwhile Tesla have delivered just 185 cars here in the past 5 months. The mass market buyer isn’t so patient now that there’s competition in the market.

why would anyone accept these continuous delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I think the reason why anyone accepts these continuous delays is simply Tesla.

If the supercharger network opens up to other vehicles then a lot of people may look elsewhere, but for almost guaranteed charging nationwide then people are looking at the public network and currently the best option is Tesla.

Also...I brought my car to work today and the guy I'm working with came for a spin at lunchtime. He couldn't believe the screen resolution and the minimalistic interior. In his words "Jesus everything else is dated when you have this". He drives a 2020 Kuga and his wife a 19 BMW 5 series!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Was in Tesla Sandyford today, they told me test driving the Y model isn't allowed as its left hand drive but I spent 25 minutes in a model 3 and drove to near Bray and back ,I did sit in the Y etc

Tesla kicks the arse of the other competitors, never drove one before today, going to order a Y

Ordered the Y this morning, other half vetoed my preferred white interior, said it wouldn't remain white with our two little terrors so black interior it is

Went with white exterior, I actually like white cars and for me the black interior goes better with white exterior than red

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Good choice. We have similar issues with the white interior. White exterior with the dechrome looks well on the Y.

• Advertisement

Hope the suspension isn't lacking too much relative to the likes of Audi on country roads, that German motoring reviewer on youtube liked the Y a lot but criticised the suspension compared to the German offerings

Advertisement