Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yermanthere

Well the A5 is single carriageway with farmland. We always encounter a slow vehicle. Tbh it takes very similar time to go diagonal from Monaghan to Derry, and then inishowen, as it goes to go up to Belfast and across.

And it's an easier drive. Unless you hit Belfast at peak times. If we went to Belfast without stopping and then charged, there'd be the most left in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,352 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In a Tesla, overtaking slow vehicles is not a problem. Or overtaking fast vehicles 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

That route is ~45km longer via Belfast. You would need to be stuck behind tractors for about half an hour to break even time wise.

Cost wise, you would pay more to travel further via Belfast, while the slower you travel the M3 becomes even more efficient, costing less.

Tat easier route is perception rather reality from my experience having travelled that route a fair bit.

Interestingly, when I regularly had to travel from Lucan to the outer ends of Inishowen in the mid 00s, when the N2 was nothing more than a farm road most of the way, I preferred the longer way via M1 to Dundalk, then Castleblaney, (like @talla describes), Monaghan, Omagh rather than the much shorter M1 Drogheda, Ardee, Carrick. Or the shortest via all the backroads Clonee, Rathoath, Slane, Ardee, Carrick. Never even considered going all the way via Belfast as even then, that would have added considerable time, distance and costs

That was in a BMW 735i V8 petrol. A grand car for travelling long distances and overtaking vehicles. But I'd prefer it in my Model S. For extra power and comfort and at a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Looks promising alright. Lack of service centres outside Dublin is an inhibitor for sure, so hopefully they get this over the line!

"... with sales showroom, public facilities (incl. customer lounge, toilets and meeting rooms)"

"... 13 no. surface car parking spaces (3 no. disabled, 7 no. EV charging and 3 no. regular), enclosed secured open service yard area with 6 no. EV charging points"

I thought the charge points might have been superchargers but they appear to be just AC post mounted charge points?!

You'd think with that perfect location just off the very busy N25 and the fact there is a customer lounge in the application that they would install super chargers. Maybe they'll do that after.

• Advertisement

Those charge points are handy enough to charge up for free at 22kW for a couple of hours every time you go in for a free warranty repair, picking up your free loaner car, for a free test drive of their latest performance models or for a general chat and some free coffee 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

I haven't seen this mentioned yet this morning. Looks like the US have struck a deal with Tesla for $7.5bn to open their Supercharge network to non-Teslas;

Tesla to open U.S. charging network to rivals in $7.5 bln federal program | Reuters

I wonder if it'll be more widespread and come to Ireland? We know some sites in the UK are open to non-Teslas already

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Probably go for supercharger installs down the line too.

They already did this in Europe last year, starting in the Netherlands. It's ok there as there already were many superchargers and also many other fast charging crowds like Ionity and Fastned

Presumably Tesla didn't do it in Ireland as the supercharging network here is only adequate now thousands and thousands of Model Y are being sold. No space for the plebs yet here I'm afraid until Tesla expands their network drastically. Can't see it happen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

When the gov will give them money probably. Is this not the big news? Tesla was invited to the big federal honeypot? Tesla did a showcase of their capabilities with the SuC in Europe. Now they are after public money.

Tesla has 17,711 Superchargers, accounting for about 60% of total U.S. fast chargers, which can add hundreds of miles of driving range in an hour or less.

The figures are US only. They did this with their own money. Imagine what they can do with billions from the state. Unlike other networks they produce their own chargers with a very low cost, which means even more chargers per public dollar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

PART of their network, PART is a very loose term, from memory there are charger connection differences in the US though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah, ii they open the network, someone will have to come up with a CCS1 to Tesla adaptor…

basically a reverse version of this;

(We don’t know how lucky we have it here with CCS2 on Tesla Model 3/Y (as well as the newer S/X which are starting to arrive in Europe)).

Think I saw a Model S Plaid today!!

@AndyBoBandy - where and what reg? I don't think they are making RHD ones yet. You certainly can't order one in Ireland yet.

Lithuania.

As I know there are a few here as I’m in their owners Facebook group and have seen a few photos & videos.

Take your other half to a Tesla dealer over there and try get a test drive in one. Now that will be fast 😂

That said, I did many launches in the last one, the P100D Raven after it got the cheetah stance launch mode (0-60 in 2.3s I think), which is only about 0.3s slower than the Plaid (but still faster than a Formula 1 car) and you do get a bit numb from the experience. As in used to it, doesn't really feel violent like most people describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Should have been investigated and acted on years ago. Robo taxis, any day now. What did Musk say on camera the other day? Oh yes, 'without FSD, Tesla is basically worthless.'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sure didn’t they recall boards.ie the other day, ohh no wait, that was an OTA update too.

Samsung recalled 31 million galaxies last week too, but they fixed that with an OTA update.

How many were endangering their lives with boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How many people did the Galaxys kill before the recall?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are apparently making a magic box for the open installs. If you drive up in a tesla you take the normal plug out of the holder. However if you activate it in the app as a non tesla owner, part of the holder comes with the plug and that part is a tesla NACS to CCS1 adapter native.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

So, what will revealed on the Tesla investor day event tomorrow then? The company has been very quiet recently. Will it finally be the Model "Golf", some battery storage news, or perhaps something completely different? The production Cybertruck will probably make an appearance anyway.

One extra share bought today to show support but I suspect I will lose some money after tomorrow's news as it will be something uninteresting. And in the past years the share has usually slid down after the event.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Model 2 is the hot favourite, new battery tech an outside possibility as there is word they are working on a new battery that will give 20% extra capacity within current form factor, that would put a RWD M3 into almost LR range

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

A 600km range RWD would be game over for all of the competition.

And/or, that new compact battery keeps the ‘Model 2’ nice and light meaning excellent range/efficiency across all its variants.. you could be looking at a 400km range version with a battery that in todays money would be about 30-40kWh in size/weight…

And if it’s cheaper than the Model 3 (which no doubt it will be). It really is game over….

I’ve never bought a single share in my life, but might need to start reading up on how to do it soon…

That all sounds good.

And I hate letting the money sit on a bank account now that interest rates are almost nil (well AIB pays 0.1%, and I suspect DIRT will be deducted from that 1 euro that every 1000 sitting there makes the saver). To contrast: The two $109 shares I bough in January have already brought best part of $200, i.e. equivalent of interest from €190000 sitting in the bank for a year. You do automatically get deducted Irish capital gains tax when you withdraw the funds so it's not all profit in hand. But in the past I have bought some small toys with profits of my small time investments. This time I think I'll just keep on saving there instead.

I have in the past used etoro app to buy/sell CFD. It's too easy but of course I could not recommend anybody to do so as the prices can go down as well as up. Use at your peril. And if your trader platform goes down you can loose it all. I would not put my pension there, but for your own fun you can be more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I’d love to see Tesla actually deliver on their existing promises before they start announcing another model. Yes, the Semi has been delivered to a customer but there are no public specs or price or date for when anyone else might be able to buy them so it’s hard to call that any more than a pilot. Who knows when or if the Cybertruck will see the light of day?

I think the difference between 2023 and before is that Tesla actually have real estate and cashflow to expand production properly as the two new factories are finally online and sales are going well. The Cybertruck line has been under construction in Texas since 2022 in the way I understand it nothing will stop the production happening in 2023. What the volume will be I don't know. The 4680 cell production lines are also finally under construction, and those are needed for the Cybertruck. All the equipment for their production was apparently moved from Germany to USA as the rules for the government tax breaks changed mandating the battery cells production in the USA for an EV to qualify for tax rebate. That created another short delay but it seems to me that the 4680 is not really needed for any of the current passenger cars.

For the Semi I'd say the 4680 is the big bottleneck and also, being a new to HGVs, there has to be a learning curve on the service level on what the customers expect. And also were I Tesla I would want to ensure the product works in practise in hands of real users but on a smaller scale first.

As a Model 3 owner I would not rush to buy another 3 that looks exactly the same as the old car so would be cool to see something fresh coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I'm gonna go way outfield here and suggest that they will announce a Tesla delivery van.

Nah. That end of the market will be covered by much cheaper Chinese companies. Nobody will be able to make any money on the really low end stuff, except the Chinese.

I'm with @sh81722 here, I'm not expecting any major news about cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Tesla has finally started to open some Supercharger stations to non-Tesla electric cars owners in the US and it explained how it works.

Advertisement