Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Don't trade in FSD car with Tesla? You already get a low ball offer as it stands nevermind the added cost of the upgrade.

Beside that the FSD is way less than 15k in Europe and the first handful of cars have now received the beta in various European countries so it seems to be coming our way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wouldn't be putting to much faith in a car that can't make a simple turn like in the video above.

Jerky steering and accelerates into the corner when it's clear it's not going to make it at the initial speed.

FSD is nothing but marketing nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

If FSD was called something more believable or had some cool marketing gimmick of a name, I think people would be more tolerant of its flaws and more impressed by its capabilities. Driving is a very difficult task - humans only find it manageable with the aid of a huge amount of infrastructure, massive personal expense and pain if they get it wrong and a preponderance that other road users take second place.

What Tesla FSD and its competitors equivalents can do today is nothing short of astounding. They’re progressing in leaps and bounds, the next few years will be evolutionary. Will we all be fast asleep in the back of our cars in five years? The honest answer is that no-one really knows.

What is undeniable is that Tesla created an aura of excitement about the cars and about FSD and it helped them raise billions in capital which made it all possible. Perhaps it should never have been called FSD and Elon should never have said it would be ready in 2018, 2019, 2020, etc. But without that noise, the company might not exist today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same. Ive had AP1, AP2, and HW3 in my 3 Tesla to date and AP1 was the best.

(The actual best was AP2.5 in an S loaner I had before all the UNECE nerfing)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Talk about UNECE nerfing, it is expected that they will allow FSD beta some time next year. So here in the EU. Not great news, progress here is very slow compared to countries like the USA where the system is far less conservative / afraid of change / stuffed with red tape and regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

non-Tesla dealers barely want a Tesla car to begin with, with all the shift in prices, never mind care less about the fact that a trade-in had this one very expensive option ticked when it was new.

the reality is that FSD has zero value here, irrespective of what YouTube videos you watch of guys in California telling you they ‘only had to intervene twice to avoid an accident’ in their 10 mile commute.

I think the mkbhd review of fsd beta was quite stark, where he explains the concentration required to constantly monitor that it won’t instantly do something crazy, is simply too much.

mass market adoption for your Aunt Mary to use it will almost certainly require lidar. Let’s see how long tesla persist with cameras though.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

That's a good analogy which I agree with, but it's a learner driver that has failed his/her test 15 times and the instructor is just praying to make it home safely and his own pedals :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm finding that my Model Y has about the same abilities as my 2017 Ioniq. Albeit the Ioniq was much better at figuring out when the window wipers needed to be on.

Yes, my (2!) ioniqs had similar driver assists but better auto wipers and lights.

@sk8board - "I think the mkbhd review of fsd beta was quite stark"

Marques was using the wrong software, have another look 😂

If you want to keep up to date on the progress of FSD, watch that channel that I linked a few posts up. And the guy is far from a fanboi. He criticises the sh1te out of it all the time.

• Advertisement

Window wipers are dreadful in Teslas. I guess it never rains in southern California 😂

To be fair, this stuff is important and absolutely should be regulated. Americans are happy to accept a laissez fair approach to pretty much everything but the same does not seem to apply here. Americans are also happy to corral their vulnerable road users to the point where they just don’t exist in lots of places. Thankfully the same is not true here.

Asking the industry to mature before being allowed test on public roads and putting lives at stake is not red tape.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yeah, I'm ok with the approach of "if you want to do something different, prove it's safe" over the US style, "you can do it, until it's proven dangerous"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I found the lane keep assist on the Ioniq to be way overly aggressive and like many drivers on here turned it off at the start of each drive.

Also the Ioniq always forgot there was a car right in front when it turned a slight bend so would floor it and the drop the anchor when it could see it again, also wasn't good at detecting merging traffic and often didn't see the car until it was half way across the lane.

It also didn't restart from stopped without intervention.

Was a grand car though, except for the keyless entry that couldn't be disabled 😥

Imagine someone other than Tesla shipping knowingly dangerous software to hundreds of thousands of cars. For some reason Tesla seem to be able to skirt the regulations by getting drivers to take liability.

its mental really.

Thankfully there’s only 6-8% worldwide take-up on fsd for almost 4 years now - annoying the hardcore fans the longer it takes, and to get back to LiDAR

You misrepresent the situation here. It is not pushed by Tesla, it is offered as an option and the car owner has to sign a disclaimer if they want to use it. When it first became available to the public, the car owner actually had to pass a very strict examination period and emerge as an extremely safe and careful driver, before they were even allowed to use the software.

Mobileye out of Intel operate in the same space, you don't see the same scrutiny on them because they're primarily selling to automakers instead of consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd say the real reason there's such little scrutiny is because Mobileye sell to car manufacturers who sell cars with an internal combustion engine

I've only had 2 car's with Mobileye equipment, both were electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The autobuy is not a Tesla dealer and they seem to disagree with you about the desirability of an used Tesla based on the offer they gave to my BIL's Model 3 recently. Not sure about the cars with FSD though, never had a pleasure of owning a Tesla with it, nor have I tried to trade one in.

• Advertisement

If Pfizer came out with a diabetes treating drug that came with the risk of randomly killing or injuring people near to the patient, would the EMA license it for sale?

If it was amazing and would save countless lives, would it be accepted?

What if the patient signed a form that that they were very nice people and would take it responsibly, would it be accepted?

Chemo is like this and it’s only licensed by trained professionals. Not to Jo Driver on the street.

All vaccines and treatments come with that risk. From hormonal contraceptives, to pain medicine, to the various vaccines.

What you’re describing is exactly what I said - Tesla pushed the update, and ensured anyone using it were liable for their own use of it.

The complete opposite. People were nearly begging Tesla to please can they try it

And yes, every autonomous driving level 2 system is 100% the repsonsibility and liability of the user. By definition 😂

People begging for it is hardly a reason to ship knowingly dangerous software.

people paid so much for it and got nothing - of course they were begging for it, for gods sake.

take up of fsd since 2019 is barely 1 in 12 cars sold, so thankfully customers know the software isn’t ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I'm waiting over a month for contact from Tesla regarding getting a tow bar fitted. I've asked for a reminder in the app for when its back in stock, is there anything else I can do ?

So I'm going for a test drive of the LHD plaid on saturday. I'm hoping it will satisfy my need to feel the acceleration without buying!

Dangerous, @ELM327. Dangerous.

Keep us updated 😁

Hey look, they said they dont do financing in Ireland so it's not a risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Any risk the car will be limited or in Valet mode? Anyone test driving a LHD Plaid is testing it for one thing only and it's not the continental driving position.

Advertisement