Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I hope not. I purposefully went with the test drive just to see the acceleration.

It's a 4 hour round trip for me so it better not be limited!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Loaner cars can be restricted but test drive cars aren't. I've driven all of their cars over the years. And like you said, back a few years ago the Tesla Model S raven with cheetah launch for one reason only. Did the launch many times, same acceleration as a Formula 1 car.

Of course the plaid is a lot faster than any Formula 1 car. Must go test drive that myself too 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think there was a mailshot (emailshot?) last night to reservation holders. I got one and it seems many others in the group did too.

My wallet is gathering cobwebs in my locker, everything is digital these days. Apple pay, revolut etc It's my credit score and record that would need help if I do get this. I'm very unlikely to do so.

There would need to be finance available.

Sold my last Tesla, got paid with Revolut. Later that same day I bought my current Tesla and I paid by Revolut. Instant payments, cost nothing. Hallelujah. The days of cheques, slow bank transfers and bank drafts are long gone.

• Advertisement

For sure.

I also have just received confirmation that my X plaid and Cybertruck orders have been cancelled. They werent honoring the price so it was pointless keeping the X one.

My test drive is in the S plaid for the sheer acceleration, an S plaid on aero wheels would be my choice if I were getting anything

Cybertruck order cancelled by Tesla? Did they give any reason for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

Ohh man that's certainly going to be an expensive test drive. Straight line acceleration it's faster than a Laferrari, Mclaren P1, Ferrari SF90, It's faster than a Bugatti Chiron up to 260kph.

• Advertisement

So you asked for it to be cancelled or you asked why they cancelled it on you? 😂

I asked for it to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Edgardo.

Thought for a moment that they cancelled Irish orders. Keeping mine , not that I think the Cybertruck will ever arrive here.

Interesting. Why would you do that? Maybe in a bout of anger when they announced they were no longer selling RHD Model S / Model X? 😂

When I decided I wasnt paying Tesla any more money and canceled both the X and Cybertruck orders as well as the premium connectivity sub in my 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Where though will you get a chance to properly test out the acceleration?

Do they have a private plot of land with a straight line run of tarmac to launch it??

Jaysus. I am very averse to paying monthly subs, but if my car didn't already come with connectivity, I would pay the tenner a month without complaint. You get a lot of extra value for that, the live traffic alone is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Google maps is free though (and google own waze). I cancelled my BMW connectivity when the 3years were up.

it’s not the affordability, it’s the principle.

Re cybertruck, it’s hard to see any cybertrucks in Europe, never mind Ireland. musk said 2 weeks ago on the shareholder call that cybertruck production ‘could reach 250,000’ annually (and they have 1million orders). He gave no info on what year that production level might be reached, so assuming he’s lying as usual and it’s far lower, the last of the preorders would get their cars in about 5-6 years from now, at least.

sounds mad, but that’s the math. Yes there will be deliveries, but it’s the pink elephant to end all pink elephants in terms of volume expectation versus reality.

I sense it’ll be expensive too.

Anywhere I can find. The test drives are on private ground in a hotel so plenty of launching room!

Its the principle.

Exactly.

And from a former dedicated cybertruck fan, I have to acceot Im more likely to own a non EV US pickup

@sk8board - have you ever used the (google maps based) nav in a Model S / Model X Tesla with premium connectivity?

As a user experience it is miles and miles ahead of using google maps on your phone. I'm a cheapsk8 (pun intended) yet I would happily pay for it 😀

@ELM327 - I took a certain company to court over €7 out of principle. But I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot every single day using an inferior product just because I dislike a certain company.

• Advertisement

i usually just open google maps before I leave the house and see where the traffic is, but I don’t commute now for the past 6-7 years, so it’s rare that I’m going somewhere that I need it in the car for a whole journey and not just the final few miles.

it’s a slippery slope - I’m not paying :)

For the record, I'm not paying either 😂

I'm more than happy enough to pay the sub... €0.32 per day.

We exclusively only use Spotify & TuneIn, and then most moorings outside school watch some Youtube. For simply being 'always connected' it's worth it alone. (I'm not fcuking around with hotspots from our phones).

Satellite view is a bonus (though so much nicer to look at), as is live traffic visualisation & live sentry view, and sometimes even the web browser for checking eCars site status (though rarely lately)... but its all about the streaming for me.. €0.32/day and your not fcuking around...

We’re on Apple family for music and storage, so Spotify isn’t a runner.

just to throw it out there - the VW in-house infotainment is known to be poor, we all know that, but in reality we never really see it in ours because the wireless Apple CarPlay connects instantly and is seamless.

I'd never actually used Spotify before getting the Tesla, and to this day I still don't have/use it outside of the car... so no account or anything ever.. only just in the car with the Tesla account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

€0.32/day and your not fcuking around...

Yep. Satellite view saves time for checking Im going to the right place for work, especially when Im out in the boondocks. Live traffic visualisation FTW when heading back to town. Time is money and that 27c (don't pay VAT) daily saves a fcuk load of time messing around as I can plan on the go.

Why buy a Tesla with all its tech only to have it crippled for the sake of 'principles'. But in all seriousness, if you really dont have any need for it, one advantage is if your heading away on a trip you can sub in for a month.

And that’s what I did in July 2020, about 2-3 months after the free trial ended…

subscribed for the summer road trips, and just kept it ever since…

I don’t want to get dragged into using it for using its sake.

the Tesla infotainment software isn’t my top reason for having one, it’s probably 3rd or even 4th after range, packaging and Suc, and even with the s/w I get 90% of the functionality included, and 100% of the critical functionality.

needless to say, I’ve got zero interest in their level 2 driver assistant software.

so all in all, there’s incredibly little to miss out on and nothing that’s a must-have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The live traffic isn't great to be honest. I was driving along an N road and there was a stretch of red along where I was driving. Not another car in sight! Another time in Wexford town, along the quay, it was solid with cars, as it can often be, no red line then though.

My phone is set to enable the hotspot when it connects to the car Bluetooth and disable it when Bluetooth is lost. All done automatically. So I have web browsing, but not traffic, Spotify or satellite view.

For some reason, I never took to Spotify. I listen to some obscure music, maybe I tried to find it on Spotify and failed, then said fook this for a game of soldiers, and never went back. I bought the unit to enable the front USBs for data and play my weirdo FLAC tunes from a portable SSD. (Please don't tell MadLad that I play FLAC in the car 😂).

Gutted that I can't play my MP4 files to the screen though. 😣 The full PULSE concert by Pink Floyd was a regular watch for me in the ID.3. That and Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense.

I'd love it if there was some kind of a workaround to play video to the screen without streaming.... Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sometimes Musk slips up and he accidentally tells the truth; as in when he recently said on camera that Tesla as a company was worth nothing without FSD.

Advertisement