Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Taking the data captured from beepbeep for used and new imports, the peak for Model S was 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rob w

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think you missed 2018 in your adding up too. There's 342 imports versus 226 new sales in my spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

Someone posted here that the SIMI stats showed around 200 Model Xs in Ireland. I mentioned it to one of the Tesla mobile engineers and he said there was definitely more than that but wouldn't go into detail. I assume there are far more MS than MX here.

The stat's shown via beepbeep.ie have a connection to the motor taxation system. Not sure how Tesla would be sneaking in Model Y's without them showing up.

• Advertisement

I just checked Beep Beep myself and came up with 276 MX and 222 MS which seems odd.

The only difference I have from beepbeep is a '16 new Unidentified Tesla which I categorised as a Model S. Seems a lot more S's were imported than sold as new cars. Looks like no new Model S have been sold here since the '21 refresh. Whereas the X got a big delivery in '22

It's crazy to look at how even for Tesla 50% of their new cars sold in Ireland were in the last 9 months.

I haven't seen any 2022 MX on the road. I wonder if they were mis-classified MYs?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Probably. Ireland never got any refresh Model X, afaik they were never made in RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fascinatingbeauty

Likely. There might have been misclassification of Model X vehicles in Ireland, and it's possible that they were not produced in right-hand drive (RHD) for that market.

• Advertisement

Could be, and that would match the CSO stats for '22 which put registrations at 271 for the Y, vs beepbeep showing 98 Y's and 176 X's. I guess the whole thing is a bit of a pain.

This all throws in to doubt your Tesla tech who thought there were more Model X's here, if anything the number is a whole lot less.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you import a 2107 and register in 2022 on a 171 plate, is that recorded as a 2022 in the stats as date of first reg in ireland?

It goes into a second category of used imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Very interesting report here:

Is this Tesla's "diesel gate"?

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

The price cuts are probably due to their profits and stock price fall. This could be due to the bad press they are getting lately. e.g. https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-batteries-range/

Is that article a joke? 😂 Silly season journalism has well and truly started. OMG, big secret revealed, electric car doesn't reach the advertised range (nor did any other car ever, electric, diesel, petrol or otherwise)

It's probably a massive waste of money to handle someone who's car is reporting all the systems operating correctly (battery etc) and logs a service request for the range being withing expected parameters rather than advertised.

The most surprising part of the article that they had a team of people working on it instead of a basic algorithm

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

There is push-back in this subforum against negative stories being shared about Tesla. That's understandable as there are posters who are invested in the brand through ownership or making money off referral links or fanboyism. There is a denial that there could be anything bad said about the brand, even from reputable sources such as Reuters. This latest news story is another example of this: posters arguing against the article without having read it, becase if they did, they would have found their arguments already discussed.

Come off it. Read this thread from the start, plenty of Tesla criticism in it, even from people who you call fanbois. Personally I've taken Tesla to court 4 times because parts of their organisaton are crap and they resort to bullying. Won all 4 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Just bullying really and using threatening and scare tactics. Taking away my free supercharging and then refusing to reimburse me for all the supercharging I had to pay for myself, refusing to refund deposits, that sort of stuff. The customer service and legal teams that cover Ireland are based in the UK and their staff not only seem pretty incompetent (thinking they know it all about the Irish legal system, presuming it's the same as over there, numerous incorrect facts in their legal documents), they are rude too. If only I were a lawyer myself, I would have ripped them apart legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

From my own perspective, having purchased 3 new Teslas & placed deposits for 2 more, I have never had the misfortune to have dealt with such an abysmal company.

It is actually hard to comprehend how terrible they are & have acted.

There was some accountability & response in 2020, but they have since degenerated & it's astounding how they act these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

Would you mind summarising your misfortunate dealings with Tesla? I am curious how they mistreated you

Do you think there is any logic in a customer wasting their own time, or the service centre's time by bringing the car in running a diagnostic and them saying, yep works as expected. I've daily driven EVs from 4 different brands, they all exhibit the same behaviour of lower range during cold behaviour and a non linear relationship between battery percentage and remaining range. The remaining mileage meters on EVs are regularly called guess-o-meters because of how unreliable they are. Tying up service personnel to "investigate" is a waste of everybody's time including the customers.

Are you at all surprised to find that an organisation is putting effort into reducing the costs of wasteful service appointments?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Range is often the focus from new owners who assume that the Tesla quoted range (WLTP) is what the driver should expect to achieve (or close to it) in the real world (I was the same). In reality all car manufacturers use this metric, as a universal standard which allows meaningful comparison across vehicles.

Understanding how the expectation is formed doesn't mean that it is fair, as it over simplifies the more complex area of these metrics (WLTP, EPA etc) and what they actually mean. Despite what people assume, none of these are promoted as being what you actually achieve in real world, as there are many components some controllable (acceleration, accessories AC, single of multiple journeys) and some not controllable (outside temperature, elevation etc).

For those interested I attach a link which I found helpful in terms of a deeper understanding of these metrics.

I agree 100% that you should keep an open mind (for avoidance of doubt I did read the article) but use of the term "fanboyism" of itself may indicate a bias.

Post edited by JOL1 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

WLTP is just a standard to (poorly) compare every car on the road, EPA is achievable in a Tesla at Summer time in my Model 3.

If navigating Tesla's take into account wind direction, elevation and outside temperature so their GOM is extremely accurate.

Re staff etc. I guess it's pot luck, when my S was in the shop a few times I always left some chocs in it and I seemed to fare out okay, thankfully the MIC 3 appears bulletproof to date so maybe things have slipped since last year when I was given a delivery date a week after making my reservation (3 weeks out) and it never moved.

I've had piss poor experiences with other named brands and their dealerships in the past so I don't rank car manufactures amongst the best to deal with, these days all companies seem shite on customer management, every call centre starts off with "we are experiencing higher than normal call volumes so longer wait than normal....etc" and it's been like that for years now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

@slave1 - "WLTP is just a standard to (poorly) compare every car on the road, EPA is achievable in a Tesla at Summer time in my Model 3."

That's actually a very good point. There are only a few EVs that can consistently achieve their rated EPA and WLTP (very similar methods with often very similar ranges) in real life (but not at 120km/h)

The only ones I can think of are (in historical order) BMW i3, Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh and Tesla Model 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

The only ones I can think of are (in historical order) BMW i3, Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh and Tesla Model 3

Also had no problems achieving same with my previous ID.3. But only when no heating/aircon and rural roads. But EPA achievable with my Model 3 RWD even on national (Non motorway) roads in warmer months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Range is important to me as I do a lot of long journeys for work. But Ive never given a second thought to worrying about my actual 'useable capacity'.

As @JOL1 posted above, driving style and climatic conditions will pay a huge part in affecting your range. For what its worth I only have a 50kW NCA battery that I charge to 90% as per Tesla's reccomondation, so I have a bit of quick forward planning is need. Tesla's router planner and energy meter is also brillant for doing this very quickly and is deadly accurate - I place huge reliance on this in getting me to where I need to go.

Having a good awareness of the charger network is also helpful in this country. This is changeing at times as there are still regions where you may need to rely on a SPOF charger or subject to peak demand.

Advertisement