Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,900 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wonder what his deg is

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just an interesting observation from the fleet of Tesloop (taxis) in the US, they have 7 Model S that have averaged about 600k km now, and have batteries that have about 75% capacity left

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That Tesla is like Triggers brush in Only Fools and Horses!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Interesting analysis on how Autopilot complies with European regulations. It helps explain some of the quirks and differences in Autopilot behaviour here versus some of the expectation on what you typically see from the US.

Looks like there is no room for Enhanced Summon or FSD until these regs are updated.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-autopilot-europe-restrictions-explained-video/

The video gets pretty deep!

In summary:
    - hands off self driving features are limited to <10kmh - so this means Basic Summon (to 6metres only) and AutoPark only.
    - AutoSteer has some regulatory enforced limitations with regard cornering speed and g force.
    - No Auto-Lane change, it needs to be initiated by the drive
    - Driver Initiated Lane Change has some strict timeouts to complete the manoeuvre, and also some pretty strict requirements for distance to drivers behind, much more than faced in the US
    - No room for Enhanced Summon or FSD in the regs as they stand

The other interesting bit I've noticed with Navigate on Autopilot is it's desire to initially move to the outside lane even when nothing in front in the inside lane, not great lane discipline. It also doesn't allow you to undertake traffic when on Autopilot, which is understandable at speed, but I'm hoping it also has a cut-off on the lower end in heavier traffic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I do not trust this one.

Tesla Model S (2014)
    E 85 5dr
    73,000 miles

£18,800

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesla-Model-S-E-85-5dr/293365330674?hash=item444defb2f2%3Ag%3AzysAAOSw75Bd6vW6&LH_All=1

The same car is on autotrader for £30,700

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I do not trust this one.

Tesla Model S (2014)
    E 85 5dr
    73,000 miles

£18,800

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesla-Model-S-E-85-5dr/293365330674?hash=item444defb2f2%3Ag%3AzysAAOSw75Bd6vW6&LH_All=1

I linked that exact car just above you on AutoTrader for 30k.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »

So these V3 superchargers (in Europe) work for all Teslas, but you only get the full 250kW via the CCS cable?

If so that effectively means Tesla are transitioning to CCS only?

unkel wrote: »
    So these V3 superchargers (in Europe) work for all Teslas, but you only get the full 250kW via the CCS cable?

If so that effectively means Tesla are transitioning to CCS only?

All teslas that have the CCS adapter.
    It means early adopters have to upgrade.

But.. they won't be able to get the peak speeds anyway.

Which Model S / X can take 250kW (CCS)? Only the ones that come with CCS as standard from the factory? Raven?

I know all Model 3 with CCS can take 250kW (provided the charger can give 666A, which the 350kW Ionity chargers can't)

unkel wrote: »
    Which Model S / X can take 250kW (CCS)? Only the ones that come with CCS as standard from the factory? Raven?

I know all Model 3 with CCS can take 250kW (provided the charger can give 666A, which the 350kW Ionity chargers can't)

No S/X can take over 150kW. Even the ravens.
    The 3 can take peak 250kW but realistically it's ~200kW so the 190kW provided by Ionity is a pretty good curve.

Of course the earlier S cars (see #chargegate) have been throttled back to 100kW so it's irrelevant anyway. Mine has the same issue that most 90 packs have, like Bjorn's X, limited to 95kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

kceire wrote: »
    Looking at this car across the water. Is that right, free supercharging for life?

Not quite, Tesla updated T&C's earlier this year so they technically can revoke the free supercharging when the car is re-registered.
    There is a chance they will not remove the free super charging when changing ownership, but the are entitled to do so at any stage.

zep wrote: »
    Not quite, Tesla updated T&C's earlier this year so they technically can revoke the free supercharging when the car is re-registered.
    There is a chance they will not remove the free super charging when changing ownership, but the are entitled to do so at any stage.

They cannot do this for cars that have in the sales contract "lifetiime transferable free supercharging"

The T+C is to remove the free supercharging on CPO cars that were originally sold with the above clause. If they've been traded back to Tesla then they remove the free SUC

The value of free supercharging on a Tesla owned in Ireland is minimal anyway, unless you plan to take it on many continental long distance trips.

There is the bragging / pub factor though :D

Yes, for the odd supercharge stop going to cork or belfast it's not really needed as a value prop.
    If you bought a new raven model S (like my loaner) you have 500km real world range in the depths of winter. That's Dublin to Galway, Cork, Belfast without charging. And back.

On this island with over 500km range and 3 phase AC charging you'd never need DC. I have needed DC twice since getting mine, and that's because I was going to Cork without a destination charger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Coming from a manufacturing background I find it astonishing that Tesla are now commercial after so little time since breaking ground in China, unreal

Tesla delivers first batch of China-made cars

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

slave1 wrote: »
    Coming from a manufacturing background I find it astonishing that Tesla are now commercial after so little time since breaking ground in China, unreal

Tesla delivers first batch of China-made cars

It’s a China thing.
    Let’s see how long it takes to get cars out of Giga 4 once they turn a sod on that. I bet it will take a lot longer and cost a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It’s amazing how quickly you can build a factory with low paid labour and a billion of them at it.

It’s amazing how quickly you can build a factory with low paid labour and a billion of them at it.

Nothing to do with low paid labour and big numbers of people.

Everything to do with how after a decision has been made at the highest echelons, the importance of this decision has the power to melt all or any obstacles in its way. It is not often in history that an authoritarian regime could get real big things done, quickly. But that's exactly what we have been seeing in the past few decades. The Chinese Miracle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Already producing 1000 cars a week, amazing

And how in a communist country, some people can afford these cars and others cannot

And how in a communist country, some people can afford these cars and others cannot

Very different from the last form of communism, where everybody could afford the cars that were being produced, you just had to go on a 30 year waiting list before you were allowed to buy one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Yeah if you take a passing look at China's economic system, you can't call it communism

Massive inequality, existence of a market, more billionaires that anywhere in the world

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's like the complete opposite of the system here, your man who scuppered the Apple data centre in Athlone would have absolutely no say in China. We'd probably also have the full Metro built and Dart Underground running, without having to do endless consultations.

liamog wrote: »
    your man who scuppered the Apple data centre in Athlone would have absolutely no say in China.

In China he'd be in a labour camp making Christmas cards for the west right now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Any S/X owners with EAP getting Smart Summon available to them? I know it's still quite hamstrung, but still a small step forward.

Advertisement