Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MartyMcFly1989

Limited mindset…….. Says the person who in another thread , calls all Golf owners, Bog Hoppers. I have owned an EV for over ten years. Two car EV household, soon to be three…..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Cars are peculiar things, like many here I have owned many and varied depending upon the requirements at the time. Don't think I have ever had a lemon. Some of course I liked more than others, probably my most practical buy was a top spec Skoda Superb, but it was probably my least favourite to drive. Of course great when the kids were younger. Best in recent times probably a Honda Civic GT-S and my Model 3.

Was just thinking what I would buy to replace my Tesla, cannot really think of anything else out there with the price/performance/efficiency/charging network that would tempt me, so will probably change like for like with possibly a higher performance model. If so would be a first for me buying the same model twice...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A lot of people have me down as a Tesla fanboi. I'm far from it. The cars are pretty good, but I have a lot of problems with the organisation, I've taken them to court 4 times.

I've also owned lots of different cars, I'd say about 50 in total. If anything, I'm a BMW fanboi. I still prefer to take my BMW i3 out for a spin, or my Mercedes SLK convertible if the weather is good, rather than my Tesla Model S. I only got to buy my first Model S because it was mispriced (about £10k under what it should have been priced at) and the car being a large hatchback suits me down to the ground as a family car for ourselves and our 3 teenagers and Labrador, also perfect for transporting stuff like bikes, solar panels, washing machines, etc. I changed it for a newer model, because there was a good opportunity to do so and the newer model looks fresher, is better built, had warranty left and has FSD, which if you look at my posts on this thread, is an area I'm very interested in

I've also dabbled a bit in TSLA shares for years

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Interesting you called me a weirdo in later posts when tesla did indeed have it on their order page and also on promo images.

Yet I'm the weirdo? Get real horse.

What about the removal of all the other previous sensors including lidar and ultrasonic. All of this made it so much better.

Yes, I'm a weirdo for questioning the unfathomable cult wisdom of nothing tesla does is negative and they are the no.1 ev manufacturer on planet earth slaying all established manufacturers before them... woohaa

• Advertisement

The only manufacturer I've had back to back was a bmw other than that I've had everything from Japanese, Italian, French,.Swedish and German. But sure look..

I never once called you a weirdo.

The post I quoted from you was in relation to a front camera. I never once seen a front camera on a model 3 order page or press photo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

Its a form of entertainment. Some peeps read, some watch TV, some chew the fat on Boards.

Ive had more German cars than any other. I’ve had more BMW than any other brand put together. Still have bmw. Not sure if that relevance

"Yet they'll let vw slide" who's they ? You're replying to my posts on this specific page number.

Il **** on any manufacturer at any time of day on any day. Its a car, not my soul. If I see tesla making a balls of their fsd strategy then il sag tesla are making a balls of their fsd strategy.

I think their a share boosting engine at this point.

I think they'd leap and bounds by jettison the idiot King and bringing back a proper fsd direction with appropriate hardware. They're doing neither.

• Advertisement

I replied to “allinthehead” posts. Not yours.

Tesla cars are a cheap mass produced, high tech, high performance car.

They are not a premium brand, prestige brand or anything near it. They are the Honda, Toyota, VW of the car world IMO, but I just hate Poole blanket posting crap about them and other brands based on internet hearsay.

I have a 530e here and I’m confidently saying the quality is not a lot better than the M3P here or the eNiro that’s a taxi!

Everyone one of my previous cars had their own little issues from fading switches in my S3 (same for my GTi) to the steering wheel badly deteriorating in my BMW’s. I had a Merc ML270 that even Mercedes themselves couldn’t fix an oil leak through the intake system. That was a nightmare to be honest!

Yet here we are still buying cars. Sometimes I wish I was a cyclist to be honest 😂

All true.

But, you'd never ever see 4 threads for bmw model in motors forum. Something a bit culty is going on with 4 wheels in the last few years. And that's bloody weird.

The motors forum was previously just People complaining about issues and not 4 dedicated threads for any particular manufacturer. Odd as fk 🤔

That’s because most of us have migrated from the motors forum 😂

It shows the popularity of them. But in fairness the ID4/3 threads are constantly on page 1 too. Same for polestar.

Page 1 alone has separate threads for the BMW i5 and 530e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I have to agree, the king should be usurped, or gagged.

☀️

Would not be good for Tesla if the technoking is removed 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

I love to bash Tesla, but only when I believe they deserve the criticism(USS deletion is a major gripe of mine).

I believe Tesla captured a lot of endearment from those whom are not part of the wealthy class because of the performance they offer for the price.

Teslas offerings in the M3 and MY give what would be considered 5-10 years ago to be supercar performance for the same price of an average or slightly above average family car nowadays. In metaphorical sense it elevated those in lower classes to the wealthy class in terms of what their incomes allow them to experience in their daily drives. Whereas year ago we could only look on with jealousy or sadness of the realisation that we'd never be able to afford a high-end performance car.

Some people who come from wealthy backgrounds don't understand this because they were always surrounded by the upper end segment of luxury and performance. And I don't mean to single out the wealthy, people from all classes have their own classification of what constitutes a luxury or well built car. Tesla are not a premium brand in a lot of areas but they do provide premium levels of performance where most other brands provide budget levels of performance but are better in other areas for the same price. Premium performance for an affordable price is really important to me.

I would never be able to afford an Audi RS4, Mercedes C63 amg or a BMW M3 nevermind the associated running costs but I can afford a Tesla Model 3 performance/long range and the running costs. Until some other brand comes along and provides the improved levels of performance, efficiency, features for an affordable price then I will probably remain drawn towards Tesla because I'm not that bothered about their negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MartyMcFly1989

Thanks for that insightful comment. Manners cost nothing, no need for profanities. Ignore option is a more measured approach.

I am commenting on a car no need to personally abuse a person.

What makes you think I am a “lad”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

Because lads is pretty much gender neutral these days.

-------

Back to Tesla talk, Renault giving out again about the discounting by Tesla and Chinese rivals.

Investors are starting to price in the fact that European manufacturers are going to struggle to compete on price.

Myself and some others have been saying that about Tesla and BYD in particular for years. Good to see that the so called professionals - in this case analysts from UBS - are now catching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

So a bit of a cautionary story..

*Finance Ireland* and possibly most motor finance companies..

Used finance to secure tesla earlier this year, the intention was to use it as a bridging loan, perhaps incurring a bit of interest and an admin fee for termination early, 2 or 3 months later.

It appears the interest is done like a mortgage, ie front loaded, so the vast majority of your initial payments are just interest and not capital. I have taken smaller loans before and it was never to my recollection front loaded like this.

Net result is a 2 or 3 month loan has cost well over 1000, meaning an effective rate well over 10% per annum.

I did ask Tesla care at the time if the loan had any major cost if my plan was to pay it off more or less straight away and they said no - probably equally as unaware of the setup.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Conar

If I'm reading what you're saying correctly that's the way all loans are done. The reason why it and mortgages are like that is because the interest is always calculated on the total sum lended on a weekly/monthly basis. As you chip away at the loan you owe less so there's less interest to pay and in turn more comes off the total.

Eg. You borrow 10k at an interest of 12% p/a then you've essentially 1% per month interest. The minimum you need to pay each month to service the loan is 100 or the debt will actually grow. If your loan is for a year this won't be an issue as you'll be paying over 900 a month and the debt is going down quickly but if it's over 10 years you'll pay a lot as the debt is going down much slower.

Sorry if I've misread what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

You read correctly. Your explanation is right. I should have known better.....

but paperwork shows the whole interest you can expect to day without any clear reference to front loading. I'm pretty sure many credit union loans are not front loaded?

long story short, don't use motor loans for short term finance. Interest will be effectively double advertised

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Interest will be what it says in your agreement (not double) and Credit Unions are no different. What you are most likely experiencing is something different - Early Termination Fee and not interest. For Finance Ireland they clarify that this is "Equivalent to 3 months interest"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We hear this on one hand and on the other we hear Tesla and VW are planning to introduce a 25k EV while Dacia are currently selling a car for 16k in France. So I'm not sure who to believe

I recall the Japanese cars upending the American market all those years ago in a similar fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Someone caught a Cybertruck doing a tight uturn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

50,000 Superchargers installed. They made number 50,000 special

It's in Roseville, California.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Now the car tells you that you might want to navigate to a less busy supercharger.

Which isn't much good when you are in Sandyford and the nearest one is probably Enfield.

Apologies for the picture quality. My daughter took it.

Advertisement