Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the USA permanently - help request

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I tried moving to Ireland about 15 years ago and ran into the same issues, not sure if contacting an immigration solicitor would help as they should know the laws and loopholes better than anyone.

Dont give up on the lottery.
    My company sent me to NYC to install a couple of servers and I met a really nice Irish chap working in the IT dept. for a large law firm.
    He seemed very happy, i asked if he would ever consider moving back to Ireland and his answer was NO

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

A common way for people with no prior connection to the US to move over, much more common than L-1 I think, is:

1. Go to study in any kind of program on an F-1 visa.
    2. After your program is over, you can work for 1 year in general or 3 years if the program was in STEM.
    3. While working on the student visa apply for H-1B a couple of times: there's a 20% chance of getting it each time, or 50% if your US program was a master's degree or higher.
    4. When on the H-1B, or earlier depending on the employer, start the green card process.

In the best case scenario, if you study for a STEM master's degree, it's more likely than not that you'll be able to live permanently in the US. In the 3 years working on the F-1 you're overwhelmingly likely to get the H-1B; or, in any case, 3 years is enough time for your employer to complete the green card process or sort out a different kind of visa for you.

As other posters have said, US employment based immigration policy strongly favors STEM, which you can see with the above process. It seems like the OP is looking for a change in direction; maybe they could try to pivot into some STEM field.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

I moved over to California on an L1 4 years ago. I work for a pretty large company, so it was a complete non-issue. There's people moving all over the place all the time. I didn't have any intention to move over when I first started working for the company, but the opportunity came up and I thought I'd give it a go.

For an L-1, you need to have been working with the company for 12 months, so its not that long a wait if you're going to give it a go. I wouldn't tell them specifically that's your plan, but once you get the foot in the door, you can start to look for the best path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

The US State Department would beg to differ https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

You are allowed to look for jobs and seek interviews on B1/2, you are not allowed to sign a contract or actually work and you cannot adjust status.

Generally most green card applications (outside of spouse green card applications) are filed by employers/sponsors and I believe they are liable to pay all associated fees. Depending on the employment category there could be wait for your filing date to become current. Once your date becomes current figure about 12-18 months.
    Why are you even bothering to reply, you're wrong about everything!
    If you had travelled to the US recently you would know that certain countries like Ireland have a visa waiver program with the state. No one gets a visa to go to the states for a visit any more. You could, if you want to take longer to get approved and pay way more money. But the waiver takes about 1-2 days to be approved and costs like 14 or 16 dollars. I was just there in November. Go to Dublin airport you'll see kiosks for the visa waiver travellers taking direct flights.

And if you think that an employer or spouse 'fills out' green card applications, you've obviously never done that either. They sponsor you. They give info. Maybe if a company really wants you, they pay the fee. But there is a fee, payable upon filing the application, that is close to 1000.00

I'm a former green card holder btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

And if you think that an employer or spouse 'fills out' green card applications, you've obviously never done that either. They sponsor you. They give info. Maybe if a company really wants you, they pay the fee. But there is a fee, payable upon filing the application, that is close to 1000.00

I got to the US with an L1 visa and subsequently got a green card. My employer hired immigration attorneys and paid all the fees. I was told that I was not legally allowed to pay any fees related to a work visa/green card myself and that all such cost must be paid by the employer sponsoring me. I haven't checked the relevant laws myself so it is possible that they were lying, but I really can't see why they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why are you even bothering to reply, you're wrong about everything!
    If you had travelled to the US recently you would know that certain countries like Ireland have a visa waiver program with the state. No one gets a visa to go to the states for a visit any more. You could, if you want to take longer to get approved and pay way more money. But the waiver takes about 1-2 days to be approved and costs like 14 or 16 dollars. I was just there in November. Go to Dublin airport you'll see kiosks for the visa waiver travellers taking direct flights.

You are mixing up visa waiver with ESTA.

Visa waiver is free, it what it says on the tin, it a system that wavies the requirement to have a "holiday" visa as long as you meet certain criteria.
    The visa waiver is processed when you present yourself at immigration at the airport.
    You need to get the visa waiver each time you travel.

The ESTA is a clearance to travel.
    It takes a couple of days to be processed and cost $14 or something
    Once approved you can use it multiple times as long as it is valid.
    It is valid for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Stenth wrote: »
    I got to the US with an L1 visa and subsequently got a green card. My employer hired immigration attorneys and paid all the fees. I was told that I was not legally allowed to pay any fees related to a work visa/green card myself and that all such cost must be paid by the employer sponsoring me. I haven't checked the relevant laws myself so it is possible that they were lying, but I really can't see why they would.

We are on visas but it was the same for us, immigration lawyers took care of all the filings, making appointments etc and company paid for it, and for all subsequent renewals. Legally you can't self sponsor, everything has to be paid for by the hiring company.

For a regular green card through the DV lottery you end up paying fees for medical, processing, interview etc
    They are in the hundreds of dollars when all told.

I'd imagine the fees paid by a company to put in a petition for an employee for a green card would be in the thousands of dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

For a regular green card through the DV lottery you end up paying fees for medical, processing, interview etc

I'd imagine the fees paid by a company to put in a petition for an employee for a green card would be in the thousands of dollars.

I don't think the government fee are that mental, I think it's the lawyer fees that drive it up.

statutorio wrote: »
    I don't think the government fee are that mental, I think it's the lawyer fees that drive it up.

Twenty years ago I won the DV lottery while in the US on a H1B

I paid about $300 in various fees for the DV green card processing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Twenty years ago I won the DV lottery while in the US on a H1B

I paid about $300 in various fees for the DV green card processing.

My Green card fees were under $1k four years ago when I got mine (via the wife). No lawyers for me but from what I've been told it's about $200 an hour, more for a good immigration lawyer. That said, I've spoken to some of them and they say that if you have a bit of cop on and are a native English speaker you don't need a lawyer to help you.

My Green card fees were under $1k four years ago when I got mine (via the wife). No lawyers for me but from what I've been told it's about $200 an hour, more for a good immigration lawyer. That said, I've spoken to some of them and they say that if you have a bit of cop on and are a native English speaker you don't need a lawyer to help you.

When my company were ready to start processing my GC, I had to get $50k approval through my department for the whole process. Employment based seems to be a bit more complicated; having to advertise the job, obtain approved salary ranges from labor department, etc. There's a decent amount of steps and paperwork to be drafted. Also included everything "premium" processed where applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

It probably also differs a lot between different companies. My employer hires thousands of foreigners every year and has full-time staff who handle that sort of things, in addition to probably having a deal with an immigration law firm. I suppose the difference between handling 3250 and 3251 work visas is orders of magnitude easier than the difference between handling 0 and 1 work visas.

It probably also differs a lot between different companies. My employer hires thousands of foreigners every year and has full-time staff who handle that sort of things, in addition to probably having a deal with an immigration law firm. I suppose the difference between handling 3250 and 3251 work visas is orders of magnitude easier than the difference between handling 0 and 1 work visas.

Of course, I don’t think the $50k actually changed hands, just a value put on it so it’s not done casually. We have a sizable relo team and a law firm in SF that handles all the drafting of documents. There’s a reasonable chance we work for the same company based on your previous posts / location.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Even the regular Green Card after all done your looking at well over $1000 (DV Lottery ). Probably closer to $1500+. Then you have to have money in the bank to take which usually has to be over $10,000. The thing that really pisses me off is there are so many illegal immigrants coming in the hundreds of thousands when they make it so hard for regular hard working and skilled/educated people to legally come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Just checked my DV lottery application, I was not successful again. I have applied every year for the past 15 years with no luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

6541 wrote: »
    Just checked my DV lottery application, I was not successful again. I have applied every year for the past 15 years with no luck !

same for me and my mom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I've been through 3 or 4 L-1 renewals over the years with my employer - I was traveling from Ireland to work in the US for a month or so at a time (STEM area). Finally moved full time 3 & 1/2 years ago on the L-1 to the Bay Area, California. Did the H-1B lottery last year via my employer and didn't get it. In again for it this year as well as starting the Green Card process. My employer says that the Green Card process is costing them $16,000, so if i leave before a certain period I have to pay a portion or all - can't change departments/divisions during the process as that would change the job description etc that they are petitioning under. They have to do a market test, advertise your job. Takes at least 18 months for someone from Ireland.

Outside of employment based visas, it is very difficult, but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Just moved back from the US after 8 years. I'm going to second the suggestion of moving to Canada instead.

It could take you a while to sort a visa for the US, if you're lucky enough to get one. It will take you a while to build up a line of credit in the US, so your first couple of years will be rough since you'll be paying high deposits for a lot of stuff and unable to borrow.

You'll be under the gun for driving (if moving somewhere where driving is a necessity). Most insurers will give you 30 days of insurance on your Irish license. You'll need to have a car to do the test in (where I went would not allow me to borrow a car or use a rental) AND decent used cars are hard to find there. Bring a lot of money to cover this and your deposits.

It takes 10+ years of working there to qualify for social security and unless the US decides to pull a 180. It's looking like social security will get cut in about 15 years time. Even if it's not and you leave before the 10 years are up, it could mean you just lose all of what you paid into it. Also, the 401k is a complete spoofer's game and that is now the retirement benefit of choice for almost all employers.

Healthcare would be my biggest concern along with the extreme violent crimes there but healthcare is the most direct threat. It's unavoidable. Our 40's is a common age for things to start to creep in like diabetes, glaucoma etc. long term illnesses can cripple you there. It's hard to figure out how the healthcare system works when living in Ireland but talk to people who have lived and worked in the US. It's complete chaos. My friend had a $40k bill for cancer treatment, my boss ended up owing $12k for surgery thinking he was covered but it turned out the anesthesiologist was not. My sister had the exact same issue and ended up owning $7. A former Irish work colleague who's sister lived in NYC and had an accident ended up owning over $50k and setup a GoFundMe to try to sort it out. It's a pit of misery.

Advertisement