Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Gaeilge teachers/ gaeilgeoirs on here?

Options
  • 22-05-2019 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

I'm moving from many years in junior end of school to senior end next year. (Primary)
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice here with regards to learning Irish verbs?
    My plan is to first teach them what a verb is in English! Then one syll irregular, two syllable irreg (Aim. Caite, Aim L, Aim Fh of each verb). Once i feel they confident with irreg we'll move on to regular.
    Do any of ye have any other advice? I think verbs are hugely important for any kind of written and oral fluency but maybe ye might have suggestions for other important areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

maybe ask within your school or the teacher that your taking over from. Learning the verbs is one thing but if it doesnt interest the children you might be pushing an elephant. Is your school using the new language curriculum? have a look at the guidelines set out in that for T1 and T2.

Personally i wouldnt put much emphasis on the verb unless its in the context of a topic, so in that way i might include it using some of its more common tenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Previous teacher has admitted struggling with teaching of grammar. I loved Irish grammar and hoping that it will all come back to me!
    Thanks for the reply. Some fantastic interactive resources available and nothing grabs their attention as well so that'll be a help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I teach Irish to first years. This year I had two groups so about 60 students. The one thing I found about verbs is they all knew the irregulars, but didn't know the regulars. A lot of time had been spent on the 11 irregulars. They're important, but please spend a fair chunk of time doing the regulars, so they don't hate the language too much (if they only do irregulars they think it's very hard because there's no pattern to them).

Try to work on the range of verbs they have. I find a four-picture story up on a screen is good for that and they have to brainstorm all the nouns and verbs they'd need for it. Gets them thinking of things like to build, to collect etc. Not just the usual come, go ...

If you've time maybe work on the two verb sentences. If they don't know those they basically can't say anything (I want to go home, I'd like to play football etc. ).

Best of luck!

Advertisement