Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absent father

Options
  • 22-05-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I've a 6.5 year old and have always been single parent. His father gets in touch once a month and sees him that one time per month for two hours. I decided a few years ago to leave the organising of visitation up to him as I was pushing for it and it was being thrown in my face, eg not turning up or being Hours late.

My son is becoming more aware of his father's absence in his life and I'm just wondering are there any resources we could use so he can move through this without too much hurt? Are there books or courses I can do to help him?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Rainbows run groups in schools and community centers www.rainbowsireland.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Also Barnardos have advice for parents and children on their website

One Family have a lot of resources on their website. They also have a helpline you can call for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Unfortunately Rainbows won't suit in this situation as the parents were never in a relationship. Barnardos may have some suitable resources though.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Rainbows is also done with an undertone of Catholicism, some boards patronage is the local priest or bishop. Some may not wish to have church influence and opinions on divorce intermingled with what is supposed to be support for their child. Having gone through rainbows program as a child I can say that it actually made me feel worse about my parents separation.

Op this is a difficult time for you, I always think age appropriate truth is always the best way to go. Maybe you don't know why he doesn't want to spend more time, and it's ok to say that.

• Advertisement

Also local library is great for books and usually good for recommending some too. Does your son have any relationship with his father's family? Maybe they could also help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Rainbows is also done with an undertone of Catholicism,

This is not the case at all. Maybe it used to be but it is very clearly non/ multi denominational now. I am a very strong athiest and did my training in 2017 and am a practicing facilitator. I definitely would not be involved if there were any religious undertones.

There definitely is religious undertones still, each rainbows group has their own board. A lot are controlled by bishops. In ireland the organisation was established by the Presentation Sisters. It is a religious organisation and a religious based programme even if they say it's multi denominational, similar to shoe box appeal, and how they try to present their religious education in primary schools. Anyway don't want to go off topic here but pm me if you like :)

Advertisement