Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Buying house in Riverwood Square Carpenterstown Castleknock D15

Options
  • 22-05-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a house in Riverwood Square which launched last week.

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience of the Carpenterstown area in castleknock. How is the area overall.

Since i dont belong to that area i could get more info. Is it a quiet area? What are the creches and schools like? Is traffic bad etc.? how about the commute to city center?

It will be very helpful is anyone has specific advice for Riverwood Square

Really appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jesky25

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone booked the house in new development Riverwood Square?

Please let me know i am looking for some information.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rita50

I went to see them last week, live in the area. Personally I thought they were way overpriced and gardens were a joke especially the 4 bedroom. it's a very nice area, commute into the city centre is approx. 25 mins to Connolly station from Coolmine Station which is a 10 minute walk awaly. If I you were I would look for a nice second hand house in the area in my opinion way better value for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I saw that Riverwood Square will be private, with a management company.
    There will also be 3 blocks of apartments built to the west of the houses, close to the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Jesky25 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying a house in Riverwood Square which launched last week.

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience of the Carpenterstown area in castleknock. How is the area overall.

Since i dont belong to that area i could get more info. Is it a quiet area? What are the creches and schools like? Is traffic bad etc.? how about the commute to city center?

We're in the area 4 years now. We really enjoy it. I bike in to town through the Phoenix Park or the canal, 30-35 each way. Train is handy, the Docklands line suits me perfectly. The 37 can be slow in town and the Nitelink is the 70N.

Porterstown Park is great and is getting an upgrade soon (probably). We've one in crèche, no complaints there but it seems you've to book a place in all crèches before you're pregnant now. Plenty of schools too - some rank high nationally. In my opinion, it's a bit short on nice places to eat. There's a few places here and there but no where amazing. The Carpenter is the local pub, it's grand I suppose.

Traffic around Blanch SC can be heavy at the weekends and Christmas but easy enough to avoid. The Porterstown Rd backs up a bit in the morning and evening rush hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

How much are they going for?

How much are they going for?

3 bed from 420k and 4 bed from 520k, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

he gardens in the three beds range in size from 60 to 70sq m while the four beds average a back garden of about 73sq m, according to Helena Hayes, Castlethorn sales and marketing manager.

The three-bed houses are sizeable starting with mid- and end-terrace units measuring 106sq m/1140 sq ft. Prices for the three-beds start from €420,000 through Leahy Residential.

The four-bed end-of-terrace and semi-detached units measure 139sq m/ 1,496sq ft and start from €520,000.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/castlethorn-returns-with-riverwood-square-in-castleknock-from-420k-1.3890856

beauf wrote: »
    Wow, a terrible article (though obviously written by the agent or developer)

"20-minute walk from Coolmine station" - 10 for me and I'm at the western end furthest from the station. Normally these numbers are underestimated.
    "when it broke ground at Riverwood in Woodbrook in the heart of the area’s Liffey Valley." - "Woodbrook"??? "heart of ... Liffey Valley" - wow!

Note all 3 bed comes with 1 parking only and there are no solar panels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Are these behind that big primary school or near Riverwood drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Compare the prices to Hamilton Park. I think they're cheaper. Check the catchment area for the schools. I believe Riverwood is in the St Mochtas catchment. St Patrick's school is beside Hamilton park and is over subscribed.
    There is 2 creches. Magic years have one beside the train station and there is one in littleplace.
    Check roselawn, springlawn areas. Better bus service and amenities but no new builds.

RasTa wrote: »

Riverwood. The one by the school, between it and the M50 are Hamilton Park and Diswellstown Manor.

Compare the prices to Hamilton Park. I think they're cheaper. Check the catchment area for the schools. I believe Riverwood is in the St Mochtas catchment. St Patrick's school is beside Hamilton park and is over subscribed.
    There is 2 creches. Magic years have one beside the train station and there is one in littleplace.
    Check roselawn, springlawn areas. Better bus service and amenities but no new builds.

You've Scoil Choilm too

https://www.scoilchoilmcns.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Agree with previous posters. It's only a 10minute walk to rail station.
    One thing that would put me off is the high bridge overlooking the properties and very close train line.

But it's a nice area, Good amenities and just near and far enough away from the city centre and Blanch centre.

All Eyes On Rafah

One thing that would put me off is the high bridge overlooking the properties

I drive over that bridge twice a day on the way to Coolmine station, and while it gets a lot more road traffic than pedestrian, you'll always see some people walking over it. I definitely wouldn't like to be in one of those houses where people could peer into my back garden from the bridge.

Zaph wrote: »
    I drive over that bridge twice a day on the way to Coolmine station, and while it gets a lot more road traffic than pedestrian, you'll always see some people walking over it. I definitely wouldn't like to be in one of those houses where people could peer into my back garden from the bridge.
    In the near future the apartment blocks will be between the houses and the bridge.

Also, people seem to think that others spend lots of time looking into back gardens. They don't. They might glance and then move on. Within 5 minutes they've probably forgotten what they saw.

RasTa wrote: »
    It's the open space between Woodbrook Crescent, Riverwood Dene, the train line and the bridge.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3766743,-6.4017453,17z

The image on the website says 10 mins to Coolmine station. Someone got their numbers wrong when they submitted it to the newspaper.
    The 18 mins cycle to Heuston Station is quite fast. That's almost 32km/h!!
    https://riverwoodsquare.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Riverwood_Brochure.png

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

We almost bought one of these at the launch weekend but walked away for a number of reasons. There’s only one parking space assigned for the 3 bed houses, which was a big issue for us, and with the way the development is designed with no front gardens/drive ways, it would be tight to find somewhere else to park your second car. There’s also going to be a management company with an annual fee, which we thought odd for a housing estate.

The apartment block at the back of the development which is not yet built is going to be for social housing.

I’d be interested to know how many units the sold at the launch, it was quite busy at the pre-launch.

Personally feel that €425k for a terraced 3 bed house with 1 parking space is overpriced when there’s plenty of 3 bed semi-d type houses with front gardens on the market for ~€400 in the Riverwood area.

swatch wrote: »
    The apartment block at the back of the development which is not yet built is going to be for social housing.
    Where did you read this?

• Advertisement

I was about the ask the same ��

When at the launch I asked the estate agent which units were being set aside as the social housing allowance for the development and the agent informed me that all the social housing would be allocated to the apartments and none to the houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

swatch wrote: »
    When at the launch I asked the estate agent which units were being set aside as the social housing allowance for the development and the agent informed me that all the social housing would be allocated to the apartments and none to the houses.

That is absolutely not the same thing as "the apartments will be for social housing".

That is absolutely not the same thing as "the apartments will be for social housing".

Apologies, didn’t mean for any confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

We moved to the area last year and really like it. We're a young couple and moved from the city centre; you would miss the fancy brunch / coffee haunts but its nice and peaceful here.
    We started a family this year and its a nice place to raise a family.

We both get the train to south county Dublin and its very handy - but very busy at rush hour. There is 1 direct train to Bray in the morning and 2 from Bray in the evening so no need to switch. Connolly station is a massive pinch point so often trains are stuck there for 5-10 mins.

Creches are a joke; i tried to book magic years a year in advance and it was fully booked. There is so much developement in the area and the large parking facilities at the train station mean the area is really struggling with childcare options.
    I believe this new development is under the government threshold so there will be no new facilities. The new development is near the playground and school Choilm.

There has been some recent robbery's though; someone was robbed on Friday night :-(

Surprised there is a management fee; i live in Riverwood and there is none. Seems to be the way with new builds i guess.
    Also surprised there is only 1 parking space; i went to the open day and it looked like there was space for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 maxymo

Jacinta086 wrote: »
    We moved to the area last year and really like it. We're a young couple and moved from the city centre; you would miss the fancy brunch / coffee haunts but its nice and peaceful here.
    We started a family this year and its a nice place to raise a family.

We both get the train to south county Dublin and its very handy - but very busy at rush hour. There is 1 direct train to Bray in the morning and 2 from Bray in the evening so no need to switch. Connolly station is a massive pinch point so often trains are stuck there for 5-10 mins.

Creches are a joke; i tried to book magic years a year in advance and it was fully booked. There is so much developement in the area and the large parking facilities at the train station mean the area is really struggling with childcare options.
    I believe this new development is under the government threshold so there will be no new facilities. The new development is near the playground and school Choilm.

There has been some recent robbery's though; someone was robbed on Friday night :-(

Surprised there is a management fee; i live in Riverwood and there is none. Seems to be the way with new builds i guess.
    Also surprised there is only 1 parking space; i went to the open day and it looked like there was space for two.

Surprised me too about the management fee but not the only new development has one. About the parking, some types of houses have 2 car spaces, other with basically no front garden have only one car space.

maxymo wrote: »
    Surprised me too about the management fee but not the only new development has one. About the parking, some types of houses have 2 car spaces, other with basically no front garden have only one car space.

My understanding from the agents is that the 3 beds get one assigned parking space and the 4 beds get two spaces.

That's right, all 3 beds have 1 parking and 4 have 2

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Prices increased on the houses today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

To what?

Advertisement