Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Buying house in Riverwood Square Carpenterstown Castleknock D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Christ, there has to be more effort to spread the jobs market around the country a bit more.
    This thread and others like it remind me of how lucky I am to be where I am.
    No doubt these are grand houses and relatively close to the city but the cost, traffic, and lack of amenities and childcare are things that massively impact in your quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There isn't a lack of amenities and childcare. Rather the area is over developed for the capacity of the infrastructure.

There are people who commute from a long way outside the area, and use things like childcare, schools in the area, because its on the route of their commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

beauf wrote: »
    There isn't a lack of amenities and childcare. Rather the area is over developed for the capacity of the infrastructure.

There are people who commute from a long way outside the area, and use things like childcare, schools in the area, because its on the route of their commute.
    Same thing really to the person looking to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 maxymo

Anyone tell me an area of Dublin or around where there is not traffic to commute to city centre (except if one live in the city centre of course). Any area where there is not lack of childcare facilities? In my opinion those are issues all around not matter the area, infrastructure is poor anywhere you look at here.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

maxymo wrote: »
    Anyone tell me an area of Dublin or around where there is not traffic to commute to city centre (except if one live in the city centre of course). Any area where there is not lack of childcare facilities? In my opinion those are issues all around not matter the area, infrastructure is poor anywhere you look at here.

I actually think the area has relatively good infrastructure. Lots of schools and amenities. Served by a train and reasonable bus journey.

I think those issues are a consequence of economic growth spurts. We are poor at planning in Ireland. I think D15 does well in comparison.

• Advertisement

It's good to know there are issues in an area.

It's true to say it's bad in Dublin 15 but it's actually much worse in other parts of the city especially south side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Whatever faults these houses might have, a lack of amenities isn't one. 10 mins walk to a train station, five mins to both primary and secondary schools, shops, sports clubs, parks...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

bf wrote: »
    Prices increased on the houses today

I don't think they increased, just that more property types have been launched. New prices

3 Bed Terraced House €420,000
    4 Bed Semi-detached House €520,000
    4 Bed Semi-detached House €580,000
    3 Bed Semi-detached House €445,000
    3 Bed Semi-detached House €465,000

It's a nice area, great primary and secondary schools, public transport links, local amenities, parks, etc and there's little to none anti social behavior in the area but those prices do seem a little high. Will be interesting to see how quick they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

If I had a choice of a 4 bed semi in Hamilton Park or here for the same price I’d personally go with HP, can’t quite put my finger on it but just don’t like the design of these, seem very basic (plain) looking from the exterior and the show houses that you can see from the small roundabout in Riverwood have a very ugly looking painted white brick pillar dividing the houses. Interesting to see if these get into the catchment for CCC as Riverwood is.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I don't think they increased, just that more property types have been launched. New prices

3 Bed Terraced House €420,000
    4 Bed Semi-detached House €520,000
    4 Bed Semi-detached House €580,000
    3 Bed Semi-detached House €445,000
    3 Bed Semi-detached House €465,000

It's a nice area, great primary and secondary schools, public transport links, local amenities, parks, etc and there's little to none anti social behavior in the area but those prices do seem a little high. Will be interesting to see how quick they sell.

This can usually be that the houses that are left have something extra. Something like they're not overlooked or facing onto a green area and not facing another house.

• Advertisement

This can usually be that the houses that are left have something extra. Something like they're not overlooked or facing onto a green area and not facing another house.

Usually those are sold first no? Unless they were holding them back. Which it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

If I had a choice of a 4 bed semi in Hamilton Park or here for the same price I’d personally go with HP, can’t quite put my finger on it but just don’t like the design of these, seem very basic (plain) looking from the exterior and the show houses that you can see from the small roundabout in Riverwood have a very ugly looking painted white brick pillar dividing the houses. Interesting to see if these get into the catchment for CCC as Riverwood is.

I think the admissions for CCC and LCC are linked, you just apply to one school and get placed in either one depending mainly on the first line of address, then feeder primary school attendance, capacity, siblings, etc.
    These houses are much closer to LCC so I'd imagine they don't have much chance of getting into CCC.
    From my experience, most people who buy into new developments are FTBs with either very young children or babies, or planning to have babies so the primary school catchment area would be more important. Are these in catchment area for Patrick's NS?

Not linked anymore afaik.

They changed the policy a couple of times now, Riverwood was out then back in again. I'd be surprised if a new development was in. But then it's never been all that rational so who knows. You'd have to check on the school sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Are these in catchment area for Patrick's NS?
    Probably not as it's based on how close your road (not the estate) is to St Patrick's NS. This development would likely be within St Mochta's NS catchment.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

daymobrew wrote: »
    Probably not as it's based on how close your road (not the estate) is to St Patrick's NS. This development would likely be within St Mochta's NS catchment.

And Scoil Choilm for a non denominational option. Very good school and close by

List is here...

http://www.stpatricksns.ie/policies.php

beauf wrote: »
    Usually those are sold first no? Unless they were holding them back. Which it's unlikely.

No, they usually want an extra 5,000 or 10,000 for them and people don't want to pay it. You pay more to look onto a green, where people end up parking they're cars.

Well either they have risen over their original price or they haven't.

It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jesky25

The management fees is 540 which is completely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Are these in catchment area for Patrick's NS?
    They would be in the catchment area but no chance of getting into st Patrick's that far away from it, the admission policy is based on how far you are from the schoom, Hamilton is closer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 juniper87

Would anyone know what the build quality of the original Riverwood homes is like? Have Castlethorn a decent rep in this respect, and have there been any issues with internet connectivity? Castlethorn say the homes are wired for virgin media and eir, so I'd imagine it should be fine, but have heard of issues with other new builds waiting a long time for this to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

juniper87 wrote: »
    Would anyone know what the build quality of the original Riverwood homes is like?
    I've very happy with my house in Riverwood. Good sound proofing. Good layout.

I've very happy with my house in Riverwood. Good sound proofing. Good layout.

Thanks, good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ohallod

Has anyone here bought one of the new houses? If so, is there any update on when snagging might take place and the keys will be handed over?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Peter88

We bought as well, but no news as to when we might snag yet.

ohallod wrote: »
    Has anyone here bought one of the new houses? If so, is there any update on when snagging might take place and the keys will be handed over?

Thanks!

We took the plunge as well. Anyone heard anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

ml100 wrote: »
    They would be in the catchment area but no chance of getting into st Patrick's that far away from it, the admission policy is based on how far you are from the schoom, Hamilton is closer

I wonder if I could rent out the use of my address solely for the purpose of registering a child for CCC which is nearby.

Seems too simple. Would it be easy money? I'm not sending kids to school.

I don't think it would be illegal from my part. You know what they say "Every little helps!" What proof do schools require in order to admit local children?

Murt10 wrote: »
    I wonder if I could rent out the use of my address solely for the purpose of registering a child for CCC which is nearby.

I don't think it would be illegal from my part. You know what they say "Every little helps!" What proof do schools require in order to admit local children?

It's usually a utility bill. Get someone to pay your electric for a few months.

Murt10 wrote: »

Some places removed the length of tenancy from the catchment rules because they felt it was blocking diversity. Too many locals in the local schools. Which means people can pull stunts like your suggesting and block people who've been in the area for many years from a place in their local school. Others rent for a while then move somewhere else entirely.

It's a great way to destroy community spirit and increase school car traffic as the local drive out of the area to get schools and others drive into it. Lots of other knock on effects too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Panda488

ohallod wrote: »

Thanks!

Hi future neighbours :)

Myself and my partner have also bought in Riverwood Square. I have been on to the estate agent quite regularly to get some sort of estimate date and timeline if there are any delays. Last Thursday I received the response:
    "Yesterday Castlethorn confirmed that they will be able to confirm expected completion dates and snagging dates in the coming days. We will update you as soon as we receive them."

They told us November for our home, with some moving in October and the last in December. They mentioned they don't seem to have any delays on their end, I guess until we know when the first few scheduled for this month will give the rest of us an idea of when we are due in. So far they just say "no major delays", Castlethorn also need to hit their target by the end of the year so it is in their best interest to have this all closed off by December! They mentioned they give approximately 1 months notice for when they expect to close.

If I do hear of anything else I will be sure to share and if anybody else can do the same it owuld be very much appreciative!

Advertisement