Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Scooter help

Options
  • 23-05-2019 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,

The other half is in need of her own transport and a second car isn't in the budget. She used scooters before and likes the look of the Honda Vision 110 but I know nowt about buying bikes. So I have a couple of questions.

The price of the bike is the same everywhere. €2,900. How to choose where to buy? What's the difference between buying at bikeworld or M50 Honda? there doesn't seem to be any encouragement to pick one over the other.

Where I live doesn't have a side gate or garage, Whats the best way to secure a bike in the front garden? I could be moving in the next six months also.

With regards to helmets, she has a helmet from abroad ( outside EU), is there anything wrong with using it here, Someone said insurance may be affected if not EU quality, but I see plenty of lads on bikes with something akin to a turtle shell on their heads.

Any tips for getting insurance quote down? Ranging from 750 to 1500 with a prov lic and no ncd.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

What category is on the Learner Permit? (provisional is the old name).

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

What category is on the Learner Permit? (provisional is the old name).

She has learner's permit with up to A, but just done the IBT for A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I'd get a list of 125cc bikes from Donedeal and approach brokers for quotes then, I wouldn't be buying a new scooter for 3k. Check with Carole Nash & Principle.

€1600 or so would get you something half decent but it may not be a scooter. There's a 2014 Vespa up on donedeal for €1800 maybe that might do her?

Maybe she might consider a non-scooter but it'll be manual transmission. Suzuki GN 125 or any Honda 125 would probably be just fine too. Dublin has a bit of a theft issue and a lot of them seem to be 125'cc so a big chain and disc lock and also a cover(out of sight out of mind) would help security wise.

Insurance might be cheaper if you're not set in stone on what she wishes to purchase.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/search-results/?_qs=UygoTWNuT3ZlcmFsbFJhdGluZyxkKSwoUHVibGlzaGVkRGF0ZSxkKSlSTihFbmdpbmVTaXplLDEuMCwxMjUuMCk-

Here's a bike review site filtered for 125cc bikes - have a look through it and if you see anything you like see if it's on Donedeal.

For the Helmet don't cut corners to save a few bob, speed wise she wouldn't be doing anything crazy but even a slow speed tip and a head whack could be fatal. Your head is worth investing on a proper safety rated Helmet. You can get a solid helmet for €100.

Alternatively you could look in the bangernomics thread in the motor forum and see if an Insurer will quote her on the car instead. If she's a full car license I'd say she could get Insurer on a bangernomic for around 3K.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Helmet has to be E-marked to be legal to use here, whatever about insurance a knowledgeable garda will be on the lookout for approval marks on any helmet that looks at all unusual.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To secure the bike you'll need a ground anchor, if you are renting you need your landlords permission to install. The other option is to get a massive lump of metal or put a chain through a wheelbarrow and fill it with concrete, you have to lock to something solid or very heavy.

From my dealing with M50 and Bikeworld I'd advise Bikeworld.

I tried reaching M50 to get my bike back after a service, got no answer. Eventually drove out and stood around for 20 minutes before a staff member appeared to tell me that they hadn't done my booked in bike. While standing waiting every phone in the place was ringing and no one was answering. Even trying to get through to book a service was difficult.

Bikeworld the staff are always around and they answer their phone. I never got any work done on my bike by them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement