Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei phones update..?

Options
  • 23-05-2019 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just wondering where anyone who has one of these phones now stand with our phone providers.? Seeing as there will be no Google updates or services,Gmail,Maps,Apps etc. As well as YouTube, and no doubt Facebook to follow, with no phone service in the states being blocked in the near future..and perhaps in europe too..should we or are we entitled to return these phones to our providers and ask for a replacement..? Due to limited service's, etc..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I very much doubt it, the service from the provider is the ability to call, text and browse the internet. They are still providing that service.

A specific app no longer working on a device has nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

lol, do you think the provider controls the google play store? it is an inconvenience, but it doesnt change the contract you signed, nor affect the network access etc.

I do think you need to accept you bought a chinese branded phone by choice, when there were other options out there. You cant say there weren't any warning signs, but for price and specs this was the handset you chose.

If your looking for someone other than the donald to blame, i suggest the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 victory65

Thanks xterminator for your smart comments..perhaps you should look in the mirror sometime..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

sorry, wasn't meant in a mean way, more lighthearted.

i once purchased a windows phone, specs were good price was better than competitors and it looked nice. But the app store was absolute crap. couldn't get anything. I never once considered returning it to the provider.

Im suggesting you have some personal responsibility in your choices when they don't work out as well as you might have liked. Why you think vodafone or 3 should be 'to blame' is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

victory65; look into side loading. It's annoying, but it's a workaround until Huawei comes up with an alternative Play Store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

the_syco wrote: »
    victory65; look into side loading. It's annoying, but it's a workaround until Huawei comes up with an alternative Play Store.

There's no need for a work around at this moment in time everything's fine.

Also, I wonder if this this will only affect phones on stock roms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought this affected stock roms on upcoming phones?

I remember buying a Windows phone years ago, and there was barely any apps available on it, even for incredibly widespread and mainstream ones. Remember being speechless when I realised I could get Whatsapp on my ancient Nokia Smybian phone from 2006, but not a Windows Smart Phone in 2012.

I thought this affected stock roms on upcoming phones?
    Not sure. Google Play could blacklist all phones that identify as a Huawei.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

It's all up in the air as to how far they will go with the ban. As they don't have to provide anything to Huawei for phones to keep access to the play store I don't see it being blocked once the phone was certified.

The ban will probably be reversed or extended before the 30 days are up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

sorry, wasn't meant in a mean way, more lighthearted.

i once purchased a windows phone, specs were good price was better than competitors and it looked nice. But the app store was absolute crap. couldn't get anything. I never once considered returning it to the provider.

Im suggesting you have some personal responsibility in your choices when they don't work out as well as you might have liked. Why you think vodafone or 3 should be 'to blame' is beyond me.

That App Store was crap from day one. In this case it’s a change from a standard offering (that most main stream manufactures have access to) to no offering.

Advertisement