Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPW/Failte Ireland's plans to redevelop the Phoenix Park

Options
  • 23-05-2019 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure everyone is aware of OPW/Failte Ireland's plans to redevelop the Phoenix Park. There's a consultation process ongoing but it's flown largely under the radar. I was in the park myself recently and I have to say I was not aware of the plans.

Anyway, lots of cyclists use the park obviously, it's a great place for a spin. The idea that the park would be developed further, more permanent car parking, more amenities, seems nuts to me. It's one of the few places in Dublin that you can actually get somewhat back to nature. I really don't want it turned into Disney Land.

Details of the proposed developments and a template response you can cut and paste into an email can be found here. Responses need to be in by by 5pm on Friday 31st May 2019.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'm not sure everyone is aware of OPW/Failte Ireland's plans to redevelop the Phoenix Park. There's a consultation process ongoing but it's flown largely under the radar. I was in the park myself recently and I have to say I was not aware of the plans.

Anyway, lots of cyclists use the park obviously, it's a great place for a spin. The idea that the park would be developed further, more permanent car parking, more amenities, seems nuts to me. It's one of the few places in Dublin that you can actually get somewhat back to nature. I really don't want it turned into Disney Land.

Details of the proposed developments and a template response you can cut and paste into an email can be found here. Responses need to be in by by 5pm on Friday 31st May 2019.

Totally agree, its a park and should be as close to as nature intended as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think a lot of the proposals are ok but I don't like the 'biodiversity' quarter, it should be biodiversity 'whole'.

Totally against any concrete being laid down for parking.

Made a submission yesterday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

release wolves.
    at the very least, pine martens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's already too much parking in the park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's already too much parking in the park.
    i am enjoying the rather unsubtle irony in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Submission made.

Have really enjoyed using the park for cycling, have noticed it get busier and more dangerous in recent years as it's been turned into more of a rat-run.

All for people coming to the park, but cycling/walking/public transport should be encouraged as much as possible. Of course, popping in the car is more convenient for nearly everyone, but it's not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks fantastic. Have read a bit about it on another thread but first time I've got to see pdfs from the opw.

The park is good as it is but the potential to make it even better is immense. The development of the old derelict artillery building near islandbridge gate looks amazing. That, together with the planned physical link up with the war memorial gardens on the south side of the Liffey would allow this fairly underutilised part of the park become more open and usable to many more people as it'll be an attractive area to visit. Tourists would love it too. More money coming into the country as a result...... And I'm only mentioning one small aspect of the plans.

Fingers crossed this fine amenity actually comes to fruition.

One thing I do hope happens for sure is that the planned underground train station under the park near the North circular goes ahead. With the upcoming expansion and changes to the rail network, together with the park tunnel seeing greater use, a train station a very usable distance from the park will open the park to so so many people who would rather not take the car but currently drive because there are no suitable alteratives. Convenience is king for so many people...... Says the man who walks 5 or 6km at lunchtime everyday is not raining!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Does everything now have to become an 'experience'? Its as if people can't be trusted to go out and enjoy the park and its current amenities as it is - why am I suddenly thinking of the TD who needed an adult to supervise her on a swing?

Looking at the plans it appears areas of the park will be reduced to an artificially built environment to create said 'experience'. Concreting large areas for car park will be nothing but injurious to the environment and biodiversity. Failte Ireland's involvement allows substantial retail development the foot in the door. If this went ahead - and was successful - one could imagine a push for accommodation to 'experience' living in such a unique environment with great character!

Its a daft plan. Deal with traffic management and safety for pedestrians and cyclist alike. Leave the rest of the park as it is.

huh? making the bloom car park permanent (according to the green party)?
    do we need to set aside that much of what is a world famous piece of parkland for a level of parking only required a couple of times a year?

and the OPW can go and swing if they want us to think they know anything about biodiversity. they dredged what was probably the most significant breeding grounds for newts and frogs within the city last year, right during breeding season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

In 200 years bloom will be gone and there will be big grey concrete car park for nothing, maybe even in 20 years.

I really want to see more nature in the park. Not less.

Advertisement