Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 - 2019 - 9th to 11th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Plenty to look forward to and Game Pass remains the single best thing in videogames today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I think MS probably should have taken this E3 off as well.

The most exciting announcement was Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk which is going everywhere.

MS is obviously aiming at next gen now and as such there's nothing left for the current gen.

Nothing was going to trump Cyberpunk.

Its the most anticipated game in the last 10 years.

What was the recent Sony and MS partnership for announced a few weeks ago? I'm guessing it was was Azure servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ah ****, thought it was Ubi tonight.

I’ll still watch Bethesda anyway, can’t be any worse than last year.

Doom and Wolfenstein front and centre, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Shame they showed so much CG trailers the Xbox One X is a beast but they never seemed to do enough with that power now that the new console is next year.
    Gears, Cyberpunk, Halo & Elden Ring hadn't much if any gameplay between them. :(

Xcloud is a weird one. I expected more as it's got such huge potential but if they have gamepass on PC maybe it's a bit further away than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What was the recent Sony and MS partnership for announced a few weeks ago? I'm guessing it was was Azure servers?

Yup I believe so, Sony maybe looking to improve PSNow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s pretty much exactly what you’d expect from an E3 conference: cinematic trailers, a smattering of cool indie titles, multi-platform titles to make up time and a lot of corporate bluster. Same thing all of the major players roll out every year.

Disheartening how little gameplay was on show tbh. I know there are other avenues for that at E3, but especially with Gears - which isn’t very far away - you’d have hoped they’d show how it plays during their big, showcase event.

The only major takeaway from it all is that Game Pass is real good value, which we knew already *shrugs*

The acquisition of Double Fine is interesting though - hopefully they get the support they need to keep doing what they’re doing. It is a case of throwing money around, but hope it works out well for Schafer and co.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yup I believe so, Sony maybe looking to improve PSNow?

I got the impression it was more fear of Google on both sides there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

This did nothing to bring me back to xbox. Maybe in 2021 when a lot of these games have been released and if the streaming option proves successful. Stadia and Nintendo switch is where I'll be in the meantime.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Shame they showed so much CG trailers the Xbox One X is a beast but they never seemed to do enough with that power now that the new console is next year.
    Gears, Cyberpunk, Halo & Elden Ring hadn't much if any gameplay between them. :(

Xcloud is a weird one. I expected more as it's got such huge potential but if they have gamepass on PC maybe it's a bit further away than expected.

There's still hope we'll see something further of Cyberpunk. CDPR say the'll be showing stuff behind closed doors, but hopefully they'll release it after the fact, like they did last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Ok well if you only have an xbox for exclusives I'm afraid you're in for nothing but disappointment. I don't understand how you were expecting anything on the exclusive front considering it takes 5-10 years to make a game.

To me this was all about game pass and the future of gaming. The days of using exclusives to sell hardware are over. Sony of course will continue with the same model because they've got nothing else.

It takes 18-36 months to make a AAA game.

Using exclusives to sell hardware is why both Sony and Nintendo are absolutely destroying MS at the moment.

Who in their right mind would buy an Xbox when you can buy either of the other consoles and play a bunch of multiplat stuff along with really good exclusives?

• It’s pretty much exactly what you’d expect from an E3 conference: cinematic trailers, a smattering of cool indie titles, multi-platform titles to make up time and a lot of corporate bluster. Same thing all of the major players roll out every year.

Disheartening how little gameplay was on show tbh. I know there are other avenues for that at E3, but especially with Gears - which isn’t very far away - you’d have hoped they’d show how it plays during their big, showcase event.

The only major takeaway from it all is that Game Pass is real good value, which we knew already *shrugs*

The acquisition of Double Fine is interesting though - hopefully they get the support they need to keep doing what they’re doing. It is a case of throwing money around, but hope it works out well for Schafer and co.

I was told I was stirring the pot for pretty much sharing incredible similar thoughts. Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

This did nothing to bring me back to xbox. Maybe in 2021 when a lot of these games have been released and if the streaming option proves successful. Stadia and Nintendo switch is where I'll be in the meantime.
    Like, I don't understand this. Sure, this wasn't going to blow people away. But a lot of the recent investments have literally being building up to the next generation and Scarlett. I'm just happy Microsoft understand why they were the 3rd best platform this generation and E3 next year is going to be great.

It's the same reason Sony didn't show up at all. You can't invest too much into the last year cycle of a console or you risk letting the launch of your next one be a bit of a failure.

When, in context, people look at this E3 it was a damn good final year of generation conference and showcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It’s pretty much exactly what you’d expect from an E3 conference: cinematic trailers, a smattering of cool indie titles, multi-platform titles to make up time and a lot of corporate bluster. Same thing all of the major players roll out every year.

There's Gears gameplay on the Gears Mixer channel now.

• Doom Eternal to save E3

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Sony and Nintendo don't need to show up because they are winning.

Let MS waste their money showing off all the multiplat stuff that people will buy for their PC/PS4/Switch.

PlayStation tapped out of E3 2019 because they just haven't got any games to show. Last years E3 for PlayStation was incredibly weak and embarrassing for their calibre.

Its just a bit of a games gap that happens on every platform. Playstation have a quiet year ahead outside of the last of us 2 there isn't much happening. I am sure they'll will come back strong at next years E3.

Cyberpunk didn't have to do E3 at all but they know its the place to be. If Playstation had some games they'd have been at E3 but its a quiet year ahead so they are saying their money. Sensible move. They'll need the cash to compete.

One point re: Scarlett. They said it had ray tracing via hardware. I'll be interested to see if this is native to Navi, or is part of the customisation MS/AMD did for Scarlett specifically.

One point re: Scarlett. They said it had ray tracing via hardware. I'll be interested to see if this is native to Navi, or is part of the customisation MS/AMD did for Scarlett specifically.
    Was thinking the same. We'll have to wait until next year for a real nose dive into the specs most likely but it was nice to get a taste at least

PlayStation said they'll have RT as well. Probably not going to be able to do much though without tanking FPS.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There's Gears gameplay on the Gears Mixer channel now.

I just put it on there, no gameplay at the mo but a serious bit of gears.................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I'm presuming that the next Xbox and the PS5 will be fairly similar hardware wise, just like the PS4 and Xbox One are.

Difference is that Sony will have the great exclusives and MS will have Gears of Halo: Horizon again. Also, xcloud is the new TVTVTV!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Phantasy Star Online 2 not even coming to Europe it seems. At least not at the same time anyway.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I just put it on there, no gameplay at the mo but a serious bit of gears.................

Try the IGN channel.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Try the IGN channel.

That's the one I was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I'm presuming that the next Xbox and the PS5 will be fairly similar hardware wise, just like the PS4 and Xbox One are.

Difference is that Sony will have the great exclusives and MS will have Gears of Halo: Horizon again. Also, xcloud is the new TVTVTV!

xcloud is extremely promising, especially for those of us who travel often. I would love if cloud gaming works properly and would let me game on my laptop when I am away from my TV & console. I hope it works out for MS & Google. I made the switch to digital games years ago so I have no concerns about not owning a physical copy, which is a concern others seem to have.

You're right about the hardware. Both consoles will be similar. Even if one is more powerful, does it really matter when you can only see the difference through a Digital Foundry review? Of course not. I couldn't give a sh*t how many teraflops the machines have. :pac:

Next year's E3 is going to be huge for MS. They need to show some proper exclusives if they want people to buy their new console. I have less concerns about Sony delivering on the exclusive front because they have been releasing great stuff for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Did they really have a mobile game on the Xbox conference and said you can pre order it. Why the hell would you pre order a mobile game. Also that last line in the Project Scarlet bit was CRINGE with a side of CRINGE. Lot of technical jargon and the 120 FPS for every game ya like that is going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

PlayStation tapped out of E3 2019 because they just haven't got any games to show. Last years E3 for PlayStation was incredibly weak and embarrassing for their calibre.

Its just a bit of a games gap that happens on every platform. Playstation have a quiet year ahead outside of the last of us 2 there isn't much happening. I am sure they'll will come back strong at next years E3.

Cyberpunk didn't have to do E3 at all but they know its the place to be. If Playstation had some games they'd have been at E3 but its a quiet year ahead so they are saying their money. Sensible move. They'll need the cash to compete.

They had a huge trailer for death stranding just last week which is out this year
    That trailer blew anything away that was part of this conference

They quietly revealed details about there next console last week too again better than the stupid Xbox Scarlett trailer that was just the x trailer all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

biggebruv wrote: »
    They had a huge trailer for death stranding just last week which is out this year

There's no point trying to have a rational discussion with Failsafe. He's one of the biggest fanboys I have ever seen online.

For years he was certain MS would recover after their embarrassingly bad start to this gen when it was clear they were dead and buried. I'm still waiting for the gap to actually close like he kept going on about here for ages. :o

january-2019-sales-1-2.png

biggebruv wrote: »

They quietly revealed details about there next console last week too again better than the stupid Xbox Scarlett trailer that was just the x trailer all over again
    Lol Death Stranding looks like a walking simulator with some gameplay and amazing graphics. I didn't see anything special about it honestly. Looks like an amazing game. But if you think it's better than Cyberpunk 2077 you're just wrong.

As for the PS5 being similar to Scarlett power wise, that's a big nope. PS5 have already released alot about the power of their new console and while it is a step up from the X it doesn't blow it out of the water. If Scarlett really is 4 times more powerful than the X it won't even be a competition hardware wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Venom wrote: »
    The Giant Bomb stream is my go to for E3.

https://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

It used to be mine until Ben single handed ruined Giant Bomb forever.

Advertisement