Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 - 2019 - 9th to 11th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Oat23 wrote: »
    There's no point trying to have a rational discussion with Failsafe. He's one of the biggest fanboys I have ever seen online.

For years he was certain MS would recover after their embarrassingly bad start to this gen when it was clear they were dead and buried. I'm still waiting for the gap to actually close like he kept going on about here for ages. :o

january-2019-sales-1-2.png
    Yeah, I think if anyone thought the Xbox One, even with the X, could recover from the terrible pre-launch and lack of exclusive console games for like 3 years compared to Sony's great launch and line-up is definitely a bit deluded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS4's launch was garbage, it was the bad press that killed MS.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Meh. It was DRM, the whole "if you don't have internet we have a console for you, it's the 360" and the lack of first party titles that really killed them. Especially after winning the previous generation it was a huge step back. And I actually place MS behind Nintendo this generation, even if they have sold slightly more consoles.

EDIT: Like, the essentially have a consumer friendly DRM now with the GamePass. No need to have full DRM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well they totally got rid of the DRM before launch but damage was already done. They actually had a decent launch line up but charging more for an underpowered console also didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

biggebruv wrote: »
    They had a huge trailer for death stranding just last week which is out this year
    That trailer blew anything away that was part of this conference

At least use The last of us 2.

Death Stranding is Walking Simulator 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Lol Death Stranding looks like a walking simulator with some gameplay and amazing graphics. I didn't see anything special about it honestly. Looks like an amazing game. But if you think it's better than Cyberpunk 2077 you're just wrong.
    I think rageaholic said it best. Awkward running and suitcase combat :D
    https://youtu.be/LRNVBJBD0ng?t=210
    @3:30

He's been trying to work his way into movies since he's been obsessed with western cinema and hollywood actors his whole public life (I remember his bio in MGS:PW was "movies make up 70% of my existence" or something like that), Video games are a tool to that end for him I fear. He also dropped Joosten after getting her hopes up because who knows...

Like, the essentially have a consumer friendly DRM
    I think that is logically impossible. DRM will always get in the way of consumer's access to their games because it defines what a pirate is by traits that a paying consumer may adopt or assume (something as simple as wanting to move game files) and flag it as a suspicion action that must be verified.

I think MC are trying to win the latest console war with pure power and they fail to realise (or know better than me most likely) that it's stability, guaranteed performance, ease of use, simplicity and no-nonsense that is the biggest reason anyone even cares about consoles anymore... which is actually why I skipped 8th gen because it had (imo) none of that but all the cons. I hope the attention they give to windows (now that DX12 is the last DX) will eventually bleed over to non-windows PC platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i wonder will they be aiming for proper 4k 60fps, big big ask if they are, i mean the nvidia 2080ti is about the only consumer graphics card on the market that can currently do that, and its €1200 alone!!! anyone who thinks either console will do native 8k is kidding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Dropping Hayter for Keifer Sutherland was the bigger sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

People obsessed with console sales and posting charts don't get it.

Xbox is now a platform, not just a device. Playable on Xbox, PC and soon mobile/tablet devices.

Even Playstation have said they want gamers to play their games on any device and they have partnered with Microsoft so they'll have the vast technical experience and hardware to power that goal.

Game Pass is simply incredible at present. It improves month to month and soon it will be available on a vast quantity of devices for gamers to enjoy.

Console sales may have been big thing in 2013 but this gen is all about subscriptions and Xbox is well ahead of other platforms in this department.

I think rageaholic said it best. Awkward running and suitcase combat :D
    https://youtu.be/LRNVBJBD0ng?t=210
    @3:30

He's been trying to work his way into movies since he's been obsessed with western cinema and hollywood actors his whole public life (I remember his bio in MGS:PW was "movies make up 70% of my existence" or something like that), Video games are a tool to that end for him I fear. He also dropped Joosten after getting her hopes up because who knows...

Going to fully agree here. As a spectacle, Death Stranding seems great. As a game? It isn't special gameplay wise.
    I think that is logically impossible. DRM will always get in the way of consumer's access to their games because it defines what a pirate is by traits that a paying consumer may adopt or assume (something as simple as wanting to move game files) and flag it as a suspicion action that must be verified.

I think MC are trying to win the latest console war with pure power and they fail to realise (or know better than me most likely) that it's stability, guaranteed performance, ease of use, simplicity and no-nonsense that is the biggest reason anyone even cares about consoles anymore... which is actually why I skipped 8th gen because it had (imo) none of that but all the cons. I hope the attention they give to windows (now that DX12 is the last DX) will eventually bleed over to non-windows PC platforms.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think we can ever have ethically pure DRM. Like, it won't ever be entirely consumer friendly. And it's a big reason for them releasing the digital XBONE S. They are already doing market research for maybe Scarlett but definitely for the 10th generation. But, if a company wants DRM, GamePass is probably the closest they can get to being consumer friendly in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Console sales may have been big thing in 2013 but this gen is all about subscriptions and Xbox is well ahead of other platforms in this department.

The one thing that bugs me with those figures is the number of XB subs is almost double the number of XB consoles sold. So they may be counting family members on the same machine but those are not always paying subs.

The PS4 vs XB1 boiled down to a cost to buy. The PS was initially cheaper and that got it started. If the specs touted by each new machine are even remotely true, then they may get close to a price point that makes no sense. If Google Stadia gets off the ground correctly, it could wipe both of them out. Exclusives may not matter in a streaming world.

Damien360 wrote: »
    The one thing that bugs me with those figures is the number of XB subs is almost double the number of XB consoles sold. So they may be counting family members on the same machine but those are not always paying subs.

The PS4 vs XB1 boiled down to a cost to buy. The PS was initially cheaper and that got it started. If the specs touted by each new machine are even remotely true, then they may get close to a price point that makes no sense. If Google Stadia gets off the ground correctly, it could wipe both of them out. Exclusives may not matter in a streaming world.
    Rumors are they will both be 499 dollars/euro 449 pounds. Which is the same as Xbox One last time. And there is also still the very clear rumors that seem to be almost confirmed of MS releasing a slightly more powerful XBONE X which will play the new games for 299 dollars/euro to appeal to families and such, not just hardcore gamers. Which would mean a big coo for MS in the 9th generation as they are undercutting PS on both paths (price and tech) and appealing to children who are more likely to play consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Just bad press? Did it not have anything to do with it being €100 more expensive and also less powerful? The always online DRM destroying second hand games?

I dont think most people needed the press to tell them those things were not what gamers were looking for in a console.

Nothing to do with the press,MS's vision for what they wanted their console to be just didnt line up with what people wanted from it.

Are Bethesda really not talking starfield or elder Scrolls at this e3? **** sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Are Bethesda really not talking starfield or elder Scrolls at this e3? **** sake!

Nope. They're both years away.

Nuts considering Skyrim came out 8 years ago, and Bethesda game studios need a win after the crap year theve put down.

Starfield is definitely the next in the line-up and even that is probably 2-3 years away. Blades is terrible, btw. It's boring combat wise and you have to wait to open chests and everything takes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long. Yup, the so was meant to be as long and boring as the grind in the game.

I'm glad I have Devolver Digital's inherently crazy and amazingly meme-y conference on after this.

Nuts considering Skyrim came out 8 years ago, and Bethesda game studios need a win after the crap year theve put down.

Yeah, a decade between TES installments is bonkers, but it will likely be longer.

Fallout 76 gets NPC's.... something it should have always had..... people applaud madly......Jesus haha

• Advertisement

And BR :o

Fallout 76 gets NPC's.... something it should have always had..... people applaud madly......Jesus haha
    They've actually changed the battle royale genre a bit here with having actually other enemies and building in it. Interesting.

EDIT: UNNNNGHH Perk Cards. F right off.

Shinji rumour was true - new IP though, not an Evil Within sequel.

Jesus, I can see the memes already about this. Fair fcuks to her, she is trying her best, but she is gonna be a meme in a hour time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This girl is a great presenter. Can’t be easy doing it in her second language too.

Wow, a real time trailer? Not seen one of these since Halo 5.

Damn you Thanos!

martyos121 wrote: »
    This girl is a great presenter. Can’t be easy doing it in her second language too.
    Oh, absolutely. But there are still gonna be memes like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Oh, absolutely. But there are still gonna be memes like.

Of course, it’s 2019. :pac:

• Advertisement

Add dragons to everything

Advertisement