Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 - 2019 - 9th to 11th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

PS now is crap. At least it was the last time I gave it a go.

Game pass on PC looks great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

PS now is crap. At least it was the last time I gave it a go.

Game pass on PC looks great value.

Literally was going to buy Metro Exodus on PS4 yesterday only the shops were closed by the time I finished work. Spotted game pass, checked it out and for €1 for the first month and can cancel anytime. Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was underwhelmed by the Xbox conference. The Ninja Theory game could be good, but would need to see gameplay. Seems very Overwatch-like though. No Gears gameplay was an odd choice considering it's out in September. Keanu Reeve's appearance was pretty cool. Other than that, it was mostly the usual Gears/Halo/Forza, multiplatforms and smaller indie titles. No big surprises at all. Even the Project Scarlett stuff was just "It's going to be amazing and powerful".

Was mostly disappointed to get almost no details on Xcloud though. Would have thought after the Stadia announcement they'd at least give some indication on availability or pricing, such as whether there'll be a combined Xcloud & Game Pass subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    Was underwhelmed by the Xbox conference. The Ninja Theory game could be good, but would need to see gameplay. Seems very Overwatch-like though. No Gears gameplay was an odd choice considering it's out in September. Keanu Reeve's appearance was pretty cool. Other than that, it was mostly the usual Gears/Halo/Forza, multiplatforms and smaller indie titles. No big surprises at all. Even the Project Scarlett stuff was just "It's going to be amazing and powerful".

Was mostly disappointed to get almost no details on Xcloud though. Would have thought after the Stadia announcement they'd at least give some indication on availability or pricing, such as whether there'll be a combined Xcloud & Game Pass subscription.

Gears gameplay was shown after the main conference. They were wrestlers or something playing it.

• Advertisement

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    Gears gameplay was shown after the main conference. They were wrestlers or something playing it.

It wasn't shown at the two hour show. It should have been.
    They should have showcased something new and fresh, maybe some breakthrough game-play or some new mechanic.
    It was a poor showing of Gears 5 in line with the majority of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They should have showcased something new and fresh, maybe some breakthrough game-play or some new mechanic.

Yeah I would have just thought some quick clips of new gameplay features or huge enemies during the conference itself would have been better than the big lightshow and journey into under the stage, which was just a waste of time really. I'd love to play Gears 5 though. Loved the first three games on 360 and the gameplay was always fantastic. It's the one franchise I miss by not having a Xbox, which is mostly why I wanted Xcloud info. If they announced a decent Xcloud/Gamepass subscription I'd be far more interested in that than Stadia, and I could justify the cost of it as opposed to buying an Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,888 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally I find gameplay demo's horribly boring. Show me a trailer, some umph and get on with the show. Leave the gameplay stuff for the show floor, the after show and for the likes of GamesInformer and IGN to cover.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order gameplay stuff at EA Play was an massive bore, to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally I find gameplay demo's horribly boring.

Gameplay doesn’t just have to be a full demo though. Look at Doom Eternal’s new trailer for an example of how you can clip together footage of a new game in action, rather than just a pointless cinematic one that gives you little to no idea of how the game actually plays.

I should stress there are limits here, and ultimately I’d rather developers not be directed to waste their time on either cinematic trailers or gameplay demos that aren’t necessarily representative of the final game (this is a wider problem with long-form game marketing and indeed the sort of perilous ‘ultra-hype’ atmosphere E3 breeds). But given Gears 5 is out in a few months and there *is* gameplay of the game at the show, something giving us even brief shots of how the game plays would have been preferable to two separate cinematic trailers.

• Personally I find gameplay demo's horribly boring. Show me a trailer, some umph and get on with the show. Leave the gameplay stuff for the show floor, the after show and for the likes of GamesInformer and IGN to cover.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order gameplay stuff at EA Play was an massive bore, to me.
    It's was mostly CGI bolox that was shown.
    Not a representation of the actual game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Those first 20 minutes or so of the Bethesda conference are kinda sickening. Pretending that Fallout 76 has had a Rainbow Six Siege like renaissance after a brief period at the start. Then putting their rotten Elder Scrolls game on Switch I'm such with a boatload of microtransactions. But it was the way it was delivered was the worst part like they were spoon feeding the audience crap & they were swallowing it up with glee; although surely people that exited can't exist IRL & were just planted there.

• ERG89 wrote: »
    Those first 20 minutes or so of the Bethesda conference are kinda sickening. Pretending that Fallout 76 has had a Rainbow Six Siege like renaissance after a brief period at the start. Then putting their rotten Elder Scrolls game on Switch I'm such with a boatload of microtransactions. But it was the way it was delivered was the worst part like they were spoon feeding the audience crap & they were swallowing it up with glee; although surely people that exited can't exist IRL & were just planted there.

The reaction to "NPC's" was the worst.

All is forgiven for something that should have been in the game from the beginning and acting as if all is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The reason MS didn't show any Gears gameplay is because even they know Gears is dull as dishwater.

Sony's low-key PS5 details a few weeks ago was crafty. Without any fanfare or effort and without showing up to E3 they pre-empted most of the next-gen talking points - SSD, hardware ray-tracing, Zen 2 etc. So the Scarlett teaser kinda fell flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wow, Bethesda's show was dull cack.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Three game I'm looking forward to in the next year

Outerworlds - October 25th

FF7 remake - March 3rd

Cyber punk 2077 - April 16th

• Sephorith looking forward to his demise next year at the hands of Clouds Omnislash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Wow, Bethesda's show was dull cack.

It's was 50% brass balls to be so brazen & 50% brass neck to ignore so much of their own failings. The guilt trip was heavy when they were showing the people behind the games who are doing all they can but ultimately not decision makers in that corperation.

Sony's low-key PS5 details a few weeks ago was crafty. Without any fanfare or effort and without showing up to E3 they pre-empted most of the next-gen talking points - SSD, hardware ray-tracing, Zen 2 etc. So the Scarlett teaser kinda fell flat.

T'was sneaky alright; just threw the main features out there to the public without so much as a press gathering. Microsoft apparently will have 2 models but never said that just holiday 2020.
    If I were Microsoft I'd let Sony release first l & then releases a much more powerful system shortly after.

Not sure how one would do it but their reveal was too similar to the Scorpio one. If I had spent the €400 or whatever on a Scorpio I'd be kinda asking myself why when they clearly have the most powerful console they didnt really take enough advantage of it & it's around now you should be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ERG89 wrote: »

T'was sneaky alright; just threw the main features out there to the public without so much as a press gathering. Microsoft apparently will have 2 models but never said that just holiday 2020.
    If I were Microsoft I'd let Sony release first l & then releases a much more powerful system shortly after.

Not sure how one would do it but their reveal was too similar to the Scorpio one. If I had spent the €400 or whatever on a Scorpio I'd be kinda asking myself why when they clearly have the most powerful console they didnt really take enough advantage of it & it's around now you should be doing that.

MS did that with the Xbox One, when they saw Sony's PS4 specs at E3 they upped their clock speed after on their APUs to try and match but the PS4 still had a high clock speed and performance.

The hardware specs are more or less locked in right now for both machines. It's not pure clock speeds, need to look at memory bandwidth specs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »

They said Xcloud launches in October and it's free Also its playable on the E3 floor over the next few days.

I think Phil said Free so quickly that many people missed that. If you own Xbox games or have game pass your games will be playable on Xcloud for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The key to the clock speeds will be the cooler used.
    I'd imagine Sony will mimic the vapour cooler used in Scorpio.
    I hear though that some of these machines can still run hot and loud??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ERG89 wrote: »

This is tricky though, regardless of whether you’re Sony or Microsoft. Both are working with the technological constraints of the moment, and both need to hit a price point that is affordable to many. That ultimately means there’s a limit to how much more powerful a device can be - certainly without entering into a multi-tier pricing situation like we have at the moment with the pro consoles. If hypothetically MS or Sony released a €350 and a €500 model - the latter being an absolute beast - I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the former comfortably outsold the latter.

Inevitably, one or other of the devices - a base PS5 and a base Scarlett - will be easier to code for, have a little bit more oomph under the hood, and will have superior specs. But both companies will be keen to do the best they can, and really the mass market doesn’t really care about which boasts the most teraflops. They’re both almost certainly going to be extremely capable devices for what they are, and history shows that the one that has the edge in terms of power won’t necessarily sail to victory. We forget the Wii after all :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They said Xcloud launches in October and it's free Also its playable on the E3 floor over the next few days.

I think Phil said Free so quickly that many people missed that. If you own Xbox games or have game pass your games will be playable on Xcloud for free.

Was that not just in reference to streaming from your own console rather than the full XCloud streaming service?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Was that not just in reference to streaming from your own console rather than the full XCloud streaming service?

Game Pass is the new breadwinner for Xbox so they want little to no barrier to entry.

They didnt mention any segments in Xcloud in relation to devices.

*edit: maybe, you are right.

Xcloud article by Windows Central

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

:p

PimMPWh.gif

Guy got a free collectors edition from CDPR.

https://twitter.com/petertheleader/status/1137846108305014784?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cyberpunk is going to be so epic I want to hold off until some next gen hardware to play it on. I can just imaging how cutdown it will have to be to run on current consoles.

This is going to make up for the disappointment I had from the last Deus Ex game and then some.

Cyberpunk is going to be so epic I want to hold off until some next gen
    You'll break :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cyberpunk is going to be so epic I want to hold off until some next gen hardware to play it on. I can just imaging how cutdown it will have to be to run on current consoles.

This is going to make up for the disappointment I had from the last Deus Ex game and then some.

You can get next gen hardware already. It's called a PC :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You can get next gen hardware already. It's called a PC :pac::pac::pac:

screen-shot-2013-01-29-at-22.00.43.png

Advertisement