Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 - 2019 - 9th to 11th June

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Atlas in Bioshock was great. Proper Dub accent in a game.

Remember The Saboteur ? Accent was so bad it was hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This topic deserves its own thread :) I love the Irish level in Broken Sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sean Devlin, the hard drinking Irish mechanic. I'm starting to see a pattern here. We may have a class action on our hands.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Personally, my expectations for Microsofts E3:

Announcement of specs for the next Xbox, like they did with the One X
    Announcement of new studio acquisition
    Xbox One games on PC
    Push Gears 5 hard, will be interesting to see if the new direction will capture anyones imagination/attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CatInABox wrote: »

Xbox One games on PC
    Push Gears 5 hard, will be interesting to see if the new direction will capture anyones imagination/attention.

They need more though. They need to have more software, more exclusives etc. People arnt going to buy the next Xbox if there is nothing decent on it. They will end up fighting the losing battle they have been doing for the past few years with Sony's exclusives.

Come on King Phil, we need something mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CatInABox wrote: »

Xbox One games on PC

Maybe mention the Xbox cloud thing & show Forza, Halo & a fable teaser while I ask why you guys didn't allow Lionhead the time to make a proper Fable 4 & not rush it out the door like Fable 3 was.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to remember Irish accents in videogames and then remembered the Irish savages in Borderlands 2 who owned the pub. Violent drunkards. Sensitive people could have been outraged by the stereo-type.
    I played a lot of that game drunk so it's kind of alright.
    Atlas in Bioshock was great. Proper Dub accent in a game.
    Zero-Cool wrote: »

I think Overwatch deserves a mention here for having an Irish character voiced by an Irish actor that does a lot of their voicelines as Gaeilge.

Also running around spamming "The state of ya!" after you kill someone will never get old.

Oh and as for the bit in Broken Sword, it took me an age to figure out how to pass that bloody goat!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ERG89 wrote: »
    Maybe mention the Xbox cloud thing & show Forza, Halo & a fable teaser while I ask why you guys didn't allow Lionhead the time to make a proper Fable 4 & not rush it out the door like Fable 3 was.

Yeah, I forgot all about XCloud actually. Depending on how they charge for it, it ranges from mildly interesting to potential killer app. If it includes access to your own digital games in the Xbox Live or Gamepass/Gamepass ultimate price and it's a killer app. Have it's own subscription and it's way less interesting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think Overwatch deserves a mention here for having an Irish character voiced by an Irish actor that does a lot of their voicelines as Gaeilge.

Also running around spamming "The state of ya!" after you kill someone will never get old.

Oh and as for the bit in Broken Sword, it took me an age to figure out how to pass that bloody goat!!

Sorry for going off topic but the Irish level made me think of the goat straight away. I like to think I figured that out all by myself but I honestly can't remember and now I'm tempted to buy the game on Android :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ZiabR wrote: »
    They need more though. They need to have more software, more exclusives etc. People arnt going to buy the next Xbox if there is nothing decent on it. They will end up fighting the losing battle they have been doing for the past few years with Sony's exclusives.

I think they've said they'll be revealing 14 games from the studios they've formed/acquired. Given they only really formed/acquired some of the studios within the last 18 months, it's unclear how many of those 14 titles will be smaller indie-type titles and how many will be big AAA-type exclusives (and indeed how far those types of games may be from release).

In previous years I was always hoping for the games to make me want to buy an Xbox, particularly when the One X came out, but those games just never came, and at this stage I think I'd be better off waiting for the next gen Xbox console and taking advantage of backwards compatibility and Gamepass at that point. I don't think we'll see any 'last hurrah' system-selling exclusives for the Xbox One in this E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Most oirish accents in video games are cringey lol

Sean Maguire in Red Dead Redemption 2 was bang on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Kotaku confirmed a Watch Dogs 3 leak that will be shown at E3. "Called Watch Dogs Legion, set in London, you can recruit any NPC in the world and then control that NPC with everyone having a voice over, animation set and ability. It's supposed to be so ambitious, it has led to dev headaches and a further delay has been reported. More to come at E3."

Sounds ambitious alright, will be interesting to see this running.

Here’s the official summary of what Watch Dogs Legion is said to entail (Taken from amazon posting so not confirmed ) :

“Watch_Dogs Legion is set in a near-future, dystopian version of London. It’s a post-Brexit world in which society, politics and technology have changed and altered London’s fortunes. London is one of the most iconic cities in the world and has had a massive influence on all of Western Culture for centuries… London makes total sense for WD, as the city has one of the highest surveillce levels in the world making this the perfect playground.”

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Here’s the official summary of what Watch Dogs Legion is said to entail (Taken from amazon posting so not confirmed ) :

“Watch_Dogs Legion is set in a near-future, dystopian version of London. It’s a post-Brexit world in which society, politics and technology have changed and altered London’s fortunes. London is one of the most iconic cities in the world and has had a massive influence on all of Western Culture for centuries… London makes total sense for WD, as the city has one of the highest surveillce levels in the world making this the perfect playground.”

This sounds really interesting. I can't remember an open world game set in London since GTA: London and The Getaway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given that description, I'm looking forward to the moment when someone from Ubisoft comes out and claims their game is 'apolitical' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I like the sound of it, but as most said, go back to the serious feel of the first one. I couldn't even finish the second one as it was too hipster and nothing like the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I immediately thought of Jaunty in Shadowman

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Mickeroo wrote: »

Also, in Nioh, the guardian spirit Saoirse. At the end of the game she has a monologue completely as gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Lets not forget the end theme for Metal gear solid.. :pac:

A song i still listen to regularly to this day, whopper!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Dark Souls 2 had a couple of Irish voices. Laddersmith Gilligan had a heavy "wesht" accent and Ruth Negga played the Emerald Herald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

J. Marston wrote: »
    Dark Souls 2 had a couple of Irish voices. Laddersmith Gilligan had a heavy "wesht" accent and Ruth Negga played the Emerald Herald.

And Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne has a definite Irish twang and sayings ("beasts all over the shop").

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Assassin's Creed Syndicate was set in Victorian London.

And Vampyr was set in 1918 London

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

All those studios they bought over the last two years "should" be releasing games by 2020/2021 so very early in the console life cycle.

Hopefully we'll see a little of what they are working on shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

TitianGerm wrote: »
    All those studios they bought over the last two years "should" be releasing games by 2020/2021 so very early in the console life cycle.

Hopefully we'll see a little of what they are working on shortly.

They could end up being cross gen games like we had between the 6th and 7th generations. Though that might be counter productive add they won't really be trying to sell the XB1 anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Laddersmith Gilligan and Father Gascoigne were voiced by same person. Connor Byrne from Limerick.

Penn wrote: »
    In previous years I was always hoping for the games to make me want to buy an Xbox, particularly when the One X came out, but those games just never came, and at this stage I think I'd be better off waiting for the next gen Xbox console and taking advantage of backwards compatibility and Gamepass at that point. I don't think we'll see any 'last hurrah' system-selling exclusives for the Xbox One in this E3.

You have essentially confirmed what I was talking about. People wont just buy a console without good exclusives. Microsoft need more than brute power for the next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

. People wont just buy a console without good exclusives.

Of course they will. If it has FIFA, Minecraft, Fortnite and COD then there's millions of people who will buy the console.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Of course they will. If it has FIFA, Minecraft, Fortnite and COD then there's millions of people who will buy the console.

What I was referring to was when you have a like for like console, people are going to swing for the one with the better exclusives. I don't own a PS nor will be buying one, but I have to admit that Sony have won the exclusive war this gen. I just hope Microsoft have something interesting to show at E3 this year. Something to make my next gen purchase easier.

Some supposed Fable 4 leaks. https://www.gamesradar.com/fable-4-leak/

Mixed feelings about some of that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement