Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 - 2019 - 9th to 11th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ZiabR wrote: »
    What I was referring to was when you have a like for like console, people are going to swing for the one with the better exclusives. I don't own a PS nor will be buying one, but I have to admit that Sony have won the exclusive war this gen. I just hope Microsoft have something interesting to show at E3 this year. Something to make my next gen purchase easier.

It still won't matter when the person only plays Fortnite or the annual COD/FIFA. They don't care about exclusives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It still won't matter when the person only plays Fortnite or the annual COD/FIFA. They don't care about exclusives.

They'll play what their friends are playing. One or two people swayed by exclusives might be enough to sway a whole group.

EDIT: Although, tbf that's less of an issue now with the likes of Fortnite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Exclusives make less difference than you think. Maybe to us they will but to joe soap they'll probably go for the one that is best value or popular or that their friends bought. It's nice to have them to expand your audience but it's not essential.

Microsoft really just need to offer a better product than Sony to win back the masses. They lost this generation due to having a less capable machine at a higher price and a load of bad press. They've gained back a lot of good will with their Backwards compatibility program and the great value that is game pass. And Sony, they might have more exclusives but I haven't been convinced by their output this gen. Compared to any other previous generation there's been very few real standout exclusives and certainly not enough that an xbox owner would feel they are severely missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ZiabR wrote: »
    You have essentially confirmed what I was talking about. People wont just buy a console without good exclusives. Microsoft need more than brute power for the next gen.

I think as Retro says, exclusives aren't going to matter hugely to most gamers, as most games are multiplatform, so they'll get the consoles they just personally like or that their friends are playing. But exclusives are vital for selling second consoles, especially later in the console's life. Hence why PS4 is still selling well and is likely to hit 100m soon. Even many of those who bought XB1s in 2013 or later have ended up buying a PS4 as well, because of the exclusives. You can read it on most forums any time the likes of Horizon, God of War or Spider-man came out, they're exclusives that made people want to buy the second console.

Xbox just doesn't have those exclusives that have made me want to buy the XB1 (or XB1X) as a second console. Gamepass is a great deal and completely puts PSNow to shame, but it just doesn't have the exclusives to justify it all for me.

Unless Sony at least matches what MS are doing with Gamepass from the start of the PS5 MS could very well take a good lead early next-gen, but if they do, exclusives could be one of the few deciding factors that makes people go one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I predict microsoft will need to go all out on steam cross-playing with windows store & xbox players to pull the rug out from Sony in the console market. What they're doing with their platforms has been shyte so far, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you ignore the fact that the games are available on PC then the Xbox does have a few exclusives. It's just it's all typical triple A fare. Sony have been no where near as good as they had been but there's still quite a bit of variety in the exclusives they do have mostly due to the usually excellent sony japan studio and the few console exclusive Japanese games they have. Microsoft really need that variety but are just chasing that triple A sales bandwagon.

It's kind of biting them in the ass as there just is not that much interest in stuff like gears and halo anymore unless the next games have a breath of the wild type reimagining.

I predict microsoft will need to go all out on steam cross-playing with windows store & xbox players to pull the rug out from Sony in the console market. What they're doing with their platforms has been shyte so far, though.

People have short memories. What this industry has shown is that no one dominant player is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    I think as Retro says, exclusives aren't going to matter hugely to most gamers, as most games are multiplatform, so they'll get the consoles they just personally like or that their friends are playing. But exclusives are vital for selling second consoles, especially later in the console's life. Hence why PS4 is still selling well and is likely to hit 100m soon. Even many of those who bought XB1s in 2013 or later have ended up buying a PS4 as well, because of the exclusives. You can read it on most forums any time the likes of Horizon, God of War or Spider-man came out, they're exclusives that made people want to buy the second console.

Xbox just doesn't have those exclusives that have made me want to buy the XB1 (or XB1X) as a second console. Gamepass is a great deal and completely puts PSNow to shame, but it just doesn't have the exclusives to justify it all for me.

Unless Sony at least matches what MS are doing with Gamepass from the start of the PS5 MS could very well take a good lead early next-gen, but if they do, exclusives could be one of the few deciding factors that makes people go one way or the other.

People are buying second consoles now because they are getting so affordable. There's been deals on One S for €99 (Curry's Clearance) and PS4s for less than €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Some supposed Fable 4 leaks. https://www.gamesradar.com/fable-4-leak/

Mixed feelings about some of that.

Sounds pretty bad to me. A proper Fable game is probably the only thing that would make me buy an Xbox at this stage, but unless those leaks are inaccurate or they’re holding back on the good stuff, it doesn’t sound like it’ll be any better than Fable 3.

The first two were sensational, out of all the similar (and vaguely similar) games I’ve played, only The Witcher 3 topped them for me even if it’s a comparison most don’t like to make. Third one was a nosedive in quality from 2, but not a downright bad game in its own right.

It could still be decent, but without Molyneux it just won’t feel like a true Fable game no matter what they do with it. As he said himself, the series was more about a certain style and humour and the morality and strength of its characters, not the setting or gameplay mechanics. It’s pretty much impossible for another team to do the series justice for what it truly is. As bad as 3 was compared to 2, at least it still felt like Fable.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    People are buying second consoles now because they are getting so affordable. There's been deals on One S for €99 (Curry's Clearance) and PS4s for less than €200.

Agreed, hence why it tends to happen later in a console's life. However you also have to add on subscription fees (XBL/Gamepass/PSN) and the cost of peripherals if needed. So ultimately, while all that does get cheaper further into a console's life, it's still a good chunk of money to put down, and exclusives are one of the driving factors that makes people do that as they'll already have their primary console for multiplayer and multiplatform games. The way I see it at the moment, XBox simply doesn't have the exclusives to make enough people want to buy it as a second console (even as cheap as it gets), and likely won't for the rest of this gen.

I came really close to getting a One X last November in Black Friday sales, but I just couldn't justify it to myself. I ended up buying the PSVR instead (again, Black Friday sales, not sure I would have bought it full price) and I was very happy with my purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

. I ended up buying the PSVR instead (again, Black Friday sales, not sure I would have bought it full price) and I was very happy with my purchase.

Gwan da Penn

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I bought the HTC Vive when it launched. I only used it a few times and then it got boring. I ended up selling it and getting a nice 4K TV instead. VR just isn't quite there yet. Its well on its way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Why i haven't invested yet. You have to aready be into kinda niche content to get the most out of it. My VR-crazy friend spends a lot of time in games like beat saber, VR chat and other environments where you can chill, goof around and have unique experiences. It won't deliver AAA full-featured games. I would get Valve's new index headset and controllers but that's way outside what I budget for entertainment and video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is cool and sure to get a good pop when watch dogs London is revealed.

Ubisoft hosting a live stream of E3 in London.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ubisoft-e3-conference-viewing-event-tickets-62838321110

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Rocksteady just confirmed on Twitter that they won't be at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Thats a bit of a surprise. Saw a lot of rumours lately they might have something to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

EoinHef wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a surprise. Saw a lot of rumours lately they might have something to show.

Yeah, most outlets seemed to think they'd be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

If Sony go ahead with moving PSN from Amazon AWS to Microsoft Azure, it does make the idea of more cross play a lot easier.

As for exclusives, well and good when there's plenty, but most are promised but take years to come into light, hell look at Last Of Us 2 or even death Stranding or Days gone or cyberpunk or others, hearing about them almost the entire life cycle of the PS4 and now we're heading into a new console cycle with the PS5 and still 90% are still a no show with god of war been the better one that actually got released.

So much for exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's a good point but Days Gone, Until Dawn and Horizon Zero Dawn were amazing for me. There were also a lot I didn't play or just didn't click with me such as Yakuza, Nioh, Spiderman, Unchartered 4, even the likes of Resogun. TLOU remastered and to a lesser extent Uncharted remastereds were very good. GOW and Bloodbourne were another level and alone were worth buying the console for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ubisoft have confirmed Watch dogs legion is real.
    https://twitter.com/watchdogsgame/status/1136057718471516160?s=20[/]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I'm surprised and disappointed to hear this as I was fully expecting an announcement from these.

Wasn't there also a rumour of WB doing a game set in the DC universe? Maybe that will be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

SharpCoder wrote: »
    If Sony go ahead with moving PSN from Amazon AWS to Microsoft Azure, it does make the idea of more cross play a lot easier.

As for exclusives, well and good when there's plenty, but most are promised but take years to come into light, hell look at Last Of Us 2 or even death Stranding or Days gone or cyberpunk or others, hearing about them almost the entire life cycle of the PS4 and now we're heading into a new console cycle with the PS5 and still 90% are still a no show with god of war been the better one that actually got released.

So much for exclusives.

Only game there with the unending development is cyberpunk which isn't an exclusive at all so no idea what you point is, kinda bemusing you're including Days gone or death Stranding also.

Days gone was only announced in 2016 apparent development start in 2015 so pretty normal development cycle. Death stranding a little later, Kojima only free mid 2015 and only started his new company and announced any Sony partner ship at the end of the year. Naughty dog only released Uncharted 4 in mid 2016, so would had have people shifting to Last of us as they freed up from that.

Varik wrote: »
    Only game there with the unending development is cyberpunk which isn't an exclusive at all so no idea what you point is, kinda bemusing you're including Days gone or death Stranding also.

Days gone was only announced in 2016 apparent development start in 2015 so pretty normal development cycle. Death stranding a little later, Kojima only free mid 2015 and only started his new company and announced any Sony partner ship at the end of the year. Naughty dog only released Uncharted 4 in mid 2016, so would had have people shifting to Last of us as they freed up from that.

Agreed. Even Spider-Man was released about 2 years after being announced, and Ghost of Tsushima was announced late 2017 and will be released early next year. In most cases, you're talking about games being released within about 3 years of being announced.

The games have possibly been announced a bit earlier than they should have been though, which has led to some of the last few Sony E3 shows featuring new trailers of games we already knew about. It'swhy I have no problem with Sony skipping E3 this year. Still plenty of game shows (including their own) where they can show off the games still coming out for PS4 before showcasing the PS5 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

PlayStation just have a games drought. It happens.

They'll be back at E3 2020.

Sony aren't skipping E3, they're giving up on the conference and won't be back.

Sony might be having a drought but they've become like Nintendo. They are the only one supplying exclusives for their platform and there's only so much one company can do. There will be less and less exclusives from here on out, especially if Microsoft can get back a significant share of the market with the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony aren't skipping E3, they're giving up on the conference and won't be back.

Sony might be having a drought but they've become like Nintendo. They are the only one supplying exclusives for their platform and there's only so much one company can do. There will be less and less exclusives from here on out, especially if Microsoft can get back a significant share of the market with the next generation.

I don't think Sony are having a drought as such. We still have The Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and a few smaller titles coming in the next year. What Sony don't have to show this year is what's coming out beyond 2020 due to the PS5 coming out late 2020 (most likely). I do agree that there'll probably be fewer exclusives going forward regardless, and Sony probably won't return to E3, but in terms of a drought we're still getting the usual amount of PS4 exclusives we've been getting for years, especially with TLOU2 being one of the most anticipated titles for many years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

First THQ game

https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1136271457988808704

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom – Rehydrated!

I don't think Sony are having a drought as such. We still have The Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and a few smaller titles coming in the next year. What Sony don't have to show this year is what's coming out beyond 2020 due to the PS5 coming out late 2020 (most likely). I do agree that there'll probably be fewer exclusives going forward regardless, and Sony probably won't return to E3, but in terms of a drought we're still getting the usual amount of PS4 exclusives we've been getting for years, especially with TLOU2 being one of the most anticipated titles for many years now.

True, wouldn't call it a drought. It's just there's been barely any exclusives on the PS4 compared to previous gens and that's down to Sony being the only ones really developing them. It's like people complaining about the lack of Nintendo games on the Switch, they are one company and can only do so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe THQ will surprise everyone and release Wreckfest for PS4 this year! But looking at their catalogue, aside from the Darksiders series they haven't really done anything I've been interested in.

And yes, there are a lot less exclusives these days, but of the few that are there, Sony has the most/best of them. Granted, I would love Forza on the PS4, but it'll be a fine collection of games to blast through when I pick up a One X cheap at some stage.

Advertisement