Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not right

Options
  • 23-05-2019 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

I just had a little test and the results were as expected. I called the mods of the after hours forum a useless shower. A one month ban comes my way. Posters throwing abuse at a dead man and his friends and relatives, no action taken. Disgusting really.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod who banned you? That;s the first step in the dispute process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod who banned you? That;s the first step in the dispute process

You mean the extremely rude mod? He called me a dick and then said he's not changing his mind on banning me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The ban message said "Don't be a dick", which is a term taken straight from the site's FAQs

I will alert the relevant CMods to this dispute. I would just state now though this thread will not be to discuss your concerns over moderation in the thread in question. It will address whether your actions warranted the ban

Once this dispute has been resolved you can start a thread in Help Desk if you wish to discuss moderation of that thread

No, their message said:

Moderator Note

Don't be a dick.

I asked them why they were calling me a dick and they said because I was being a dick.

Is this any way to speak to people? Calling people dicks is far worse than what I said.

This forum deals with disputes against cards or bans. Are you disputing your ban?

As I've already pointed out the terminology used by the mod is standard terminology used in the site FAQs. However that is not for discussion here. You can start a thread in Help Desk if you wish to raise any complaints about moderation other than contesting a card or ban

• Advertisement

Ok, I'm disputing the ban and then I'll get to the rest.

Thank you for confirming that. I have alerted the CMods to this thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Please post your pm exchange with the mod in question here where you attempted to resolve the issue.

Not sure will this work?

Nosnon wrote:
    Not lifting the ban. Carry on with your drp.
    And you were being useless. Why should I be banned and you shouldn't?
    Nosnon wrote:
    Because you were being a dick in that thread.
    Nosnon wrote:
    Dear Farawayhome,

You have been banned from After Hours for one month for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Nosnon

Moderator Note

Don't be a dick.

Your post:
    Hello mods? Useless shower.

Why you calling me a dick?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not going to waste mine and your time here.
    You were being a dick.
    Action upheld.

• Advertisement

Farawayhome

Do you want to appeal this decision to an Admin?

Are all the mods this rude? Another one calling me a dick. A month's ban is very severe, especially considering the stuff said elsewhere on the forum. This mod couldn't even be bothered considering it. I'd like to appeal to an admin but only if they are going to be fair.

Are all the mods this rude? Another one calling me a dick. A month's ban is very severe, especially considering the stuff said elsewhere on the forum. This mod couldn't even be bothered considering it. I'd like to appeal to an admin but only if they are going to be fair.

"Fairness" is subjective. You clearly have completely failed to consider a point I have twice made in this thread. "Don't be a dick" is part of the FAQs, and indeed a term to highlight uncivil behaviour.

Now you get one more chance here - do you wish me to consider this further?

"Fairness" is subjective. You clearly have completely failed to consider a point I have twice made in this thread. "Don't be a dick" is part of the FAQs, and indeed a term to highlight uncivil behaviour.

Now you get one more chance here - do you wish me to consider this further?

I think that term should be changed, don't you? It's not nice to be treating customers in that way. Do you not see the irony in handing out bans for terms like 'useless shower' while going around calling users dicks?

I was hoping for a fair appeal. I think having fresh eyes on this would help achieve that. So I request that the appeal decision comes from someone who hasn't posted on this thread. Thanks.

You do not get to choose who deals with your appeal

Do you accept that this comment is uncivil?
    Hello mods? Useless shower.

You do not get to choose who deals with your appeal

Do you accept that this comment is uncivil?

Yes.

Thank you. We are starting to get somewhere now

The problem here is you were being uncivil towards the mods, openly in the forum. That's simply a no-no on this site. Forget about the FAQs for now as the term used to describe your behaviour (rather than you) has been commonly used in moderation throughout the history of the site and is known as "Wheaton's Law" (you can Google for specific reference)

It may not be a term I would use myself, but I am not going to have an issue with it being used within moderation, as it has been used extensively on the site

Boards has processes by which you can complain about moderation. Attempting to call them out on it in-thread is simply not acceptable. I appreciate you did report posts you found offensive. If you feel something has perhaps slipped through the net, or feel so strongly that further action is required the next step is to discuss your concerns directly with the relevant mods. If still not satisfied you can approach a Category Mod. After those two steps you can raise a complaint in Help Desk, which may be addressed by CMods or Admins, and where other users, and in particular relevant mods, have the opportunity to input

Now having given all that further background, and recognising you had a previously picked up a 1 week ban from AH in the short time since you signed up, can you appreciate why the mod acted as they did, and the CMod upheld that action?

We're not getting anywhere new. I already knew my comment was uncivil, that was the point.

My other ban was for this:

Mod

Pter, don't post in this thread again.

So two posts have got me a 5 week ban. I haven't received any other bans. My 4 week ban is for making a point which you have seen has merit. This forum hands out serious punishments for any dig at a mod but has none for digs at a dead man and his family. I know this is not the forum for it but I've clearly exposed some hypocrisy.

And I read some of the other threads on this forum. The one before mine has the mod saying "I flatly reject any argument that there is some sort of imagined loophole that allows you to abuse someone by saying they "seem like" a [term of abuse]. It is clearly imputed from the phrasing that you are calling Bale a tosser." You're attempting to use a similar loophole to the poster in this case with the calling posters dicks.

More hypocrisy. And I'm sure mods don't get banned for being dicks. Anyway, we're getting nowhere here. You're clearly not taking any of this on board. Admins, close this thread.

Very well. I was hoping you would see the error of your ways, and make a commitment not to behave like that again. In return I was going to offer you a reduction in your ban to "time-served"

In view of your comments above though, I'm now upholding that original 4 week ban

There are no more avenues of appeal, and I'm closing this thread, marking it as Resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement