Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Fitbit" type device for a child - Advice please

Options
  • 23-05-2019 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

So my daughter has just had her 8th birthday where she was given some money that is now burning a hole in her pocket and she wants to spend it.

What she would like to buy is a "fitbit" type wearable that she can wear on her wrist.
    Her only condition is that it can't be a "childish" one, she want's an "adult" one.
    She said she also doesn't want a cheap one that counts steps by just swinging her arm.

So with all that info, and the fact that at 8 years old she does not have a phone, is there anything out there that you would recommend.

I don't have one myself so I'm pretty clueless about this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

Thanks for the reply...

Funnily enough the Mi band 3 was on my radar as I have a Xiaomi phone myself and the Mi Band 3 had popped up in searches.

I suppose my 2 questions are:
    1. will it fit on the wrist of an 8 year old?
    2. is not having a phone to link it to much of a handicap?

Again sorry about this but I always thought you needed a phone to make use of them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks for the reply...

Funnily enough the Mi band 3 was on my radar as I have a Xiaomi phone myself and the Mi Band 3 had popped up in searches.

I suppose my 2 questions are:
    1. will it fit on the wrist of an 8 year old?
    2. is not having a phone to link it to much of a handicap?

Again sorry about this but I always thought you needed a phone to make use of them.

Well, really you do need a phone to make any much use because the interface with this tech is very limited in the round.

Without a phone all you can do with a mi band is take your heart rate, count steps, use threadmill mode, set alarm and use a stop watch.

If you pair it with your phone you can read notifications, list calls, sleep tracker, create fitness goals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭chrisire

Highly recommend the mi band 3,yes it will fit her wrist,just connect it with your own phone so it syncs up and you can keep an eye on her steps etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

Thanks for the replies all.

Looks like it's will do everything she wants it to do.

Now just need to order it....

Cheers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭chrisire

If she wants it quick i think the three stores sell it,probably pay about 10 euro more though.

Advertisement