Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ready for potty training?

• 24-05-2019 11:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭

My little lad has just turned 2.
    The last week or so when he needs to poo he will tell us and point to the bathroom. He has started to pull down his trousers and try take off his nappy. I have brought him in to the toilet but then he says no.

Is this a sign he is ready for potty training? He only tells us when he needs to poo never for a wee.
    His nappy does be bursting in the mornings still so I don't think he is fully ready?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would say no, not yet.There is a window of time around then that they start to show signs.But I have trained my pair, one at 2 & 4 months, and one at 2 and 6 months, there is a world of difference.Rule of thumb is about 2.5 is a good age, even later for boys.Now that's not to say you can't train him....you probably could try.But the older they are, the better their language and understanding is.I wouldn't go there yet-don't do it to yourself!!My second was like that and I just said yeah ok to everything she said, let her try out toilet and potty if she wanted but never pushed her to do anything in them.When the time came round, she got it in about 1.5 days no bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Thanks for the reply.

Yea I was thinking Im not ready for this myself yet :D

I might just buy a potty and have it there and if he wants to sit on it he can work away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

We trained our guy just past 2.5 and it went well. One thing I think helped was that we had a potty around at home for a while before starting training. He’d decide to sit on it without his nappy on now and again. Rarely did anything in it at that stage. However I do think it helped get him used to the potty and what it was used for before starting training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Went straight to toilet no potty, got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parent-Family-Training-Toilet-STANDARD/dp/B0147SBBT4/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=childs+toilet+seat&qid=1558769996&s=gateway&sprefix=childs+toi&sr=8-6
    Feck washing a potty I'd rather change a nappy. I think 2 is too young unless there already walking to the toilet for a pee pee with daddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Had to read through this as our little one found the potty the last day, and she just loves it.. More as a seat though she is quite happy sitting in it.. So cute but so with you drunkmonkey I had no intention of getting a potty, was going to go straight to using the toilet, i think they are horrible things (it was a gift from somebody else) said i would keep it just incase.. Mind we have the luxery of having three loos so it should easier..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

The only thing that I found about a potty is that when you are starting off, the toilet can see very daunting to them. My little girl refused the toilet so we started her on a potty but she very quickly got around to using the toilet. Our next guy is just over 2 and is still not ready. We have the potty out and he uses it as a seat in the bathroom while he is brushing his teeth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Using a mix of potty and toilet with steps up. I find putting him on the potty every 30mins or so helps. But yeah it's a messy few days.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Thanks everyone - we had our first wee on the sitting room floor last night :D

He's figured out how to pull off his nappy now so I may invest in a potty and see what happens :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Try the toilet seat if he can get his willy over the rim. Your a while off nunmber 2's I wouldn't even attempt it unless you want someone having a dump during home and away for the next year or two.

Advertisement