Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americanisms gone too far, are you guilty?

• 24-05-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭

Went with a friend to Dundrum shopping mall centre last week, and as we were leaving the car park she mentioned that she was taking the elevator to the stores on the top floor of the mall :cool:

"Elevator to the stores on the top floor of the mall" really? and I thought to myself, whatever happened with taking the lift to the shops on the top floor of the shopping centre?

I was just waiting for her to suggest we went to the 'movie theatre' after we collected the car from the parking lot, thankfully she hasn't got that bad (yet)!

Curious to know how widespread the terms like :elevator', movie theatre, shopping mall, and parking lot (instead of car park) have become in Ireland.

Maybe I'm showing my age by not adapting to the new American lingo? or are many young people selling out by adopting such Americanisms?

Hands up if I'm an old fuddy duddy :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes I am. I don't think i could stop if i wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Went with a friend to Dundrum shopping mall centre last week, and as we were leaving the car park she mentioned that she was taking the elevator to the stores on the top floor of the mall :cool:

"Elevator to the stores on the top floor of the mall" really? and I thought to myself, whatever happened with taking the lift to the shops on the top floor of the shopping centre?

I was just waiting for her to suggest we went to the 'movie theatre' after we collected the car from the parking lot, thankfully she hasn't got that bad (yet)!

Curious to know how widespread the terms like :elevator', movie theatre, shopping mall, and parking lot (instead of car park) have become in Ireland.

Maybe I'm showing my age by not adapting to the new American lingo? or are many young people selling out by adopting such Americanisms?

Hands up if I'm an old fuddy duddy :)

You're in love with her, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

What a douchebag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

My young daughter, a few years back told me that the mail man had delivered the mail. Shocker. It's from kids and adults watching all that aul ****e American telly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Gerry G wrote: »
    My young daughter, a few years back told me that the mail man had delivered the mail. Shocker. It's from kids and adults watching all that aul ****e American telly

Although I will admit, I have found myself using "guys" more than once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

"Elevator to the stores on the top floor of the mall"

That would annoy me too tbf. I've mentioned it here before but anyone who says "'slaw" should be shot with a ball of their own sh*te.

Well spotted. Op just tell her.

I was going to post J'Taime by serge gainsbourg but its too french and not American enough... you will have to do with this.

I must annoy SO many people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Qft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

We're all living in Amerika,
    Amerika ist wunderbar
    We're all living in Amerika,
    Amerika, Amerika…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

"Elevator to the stores on the top floor of the mall"

That would annoy me too tbf. I've mentioned it here before but anyone who says "'slaw" should be shot with a ball of their own sh*te.

Slaw as short for coleslaw is annoying, as is mayo for mayonnaise.
    But slaw is a description of a type of salad when used correctly.
    Asian slaw, for example, gives a very good idea of what to expect - shredded or sliced vegetables with Asian flavours ni the dressing. It is descriptive.

Coleslaw is shredded/sliced white cabbage and carrots bound with mayonnaise - it's a very specific thing.

Don't get angry with people just because you don't understand food terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

No Irish person should use the term 'Mom'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yer ma would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Saw this in response to that vacuous Tweet from Maria Walsh:

https://twitter.com/oliveblogs/status/1131274366363328514

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Agreed, same goes for elevator (instead of lift).

Slaw as short for coleslaw is annoying, as is mayo for mayonnaise.
    But slaw is a description of a type of salad when used correctly.
    Asian slaw, for example, gives a very good idea of what to expect - shredded or sliced vegetables with Asian flavours ni the dressing. It is descriptive.

Coleslaw is shredded/sliced white cabbage and carrots bound with mayonnaise - it's a very specific thing.

Don't get angry with people just because you don't understand food terminology.

Thanks for the unnecessary and uninvited lesson but I was referring to people using it as short for coleslaw. No one has ever used it in the other way in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

So, everyone begins sentences with 'so', right?
    Not only that, every sentence is really a question? With the high-rise termination/uptalk?
    Far worse though, is what I call the 'croaky voice syndrome'. You know what I mean- when the sentence starts off normal, then deteriorates into that whiny croaky talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Irish are terrible for it.

Obsessed with American culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Not only that, every sentence is really a question? With the high-rise termination/uptalk?
    Far worse though, is what I call the 'croaky voice syndrome'. You know what I mean- when the sentence starts off normal, then deteriorates into that whiny croaky talk.

Vocal Fry. Epidemic since the ****ing Kardashians became flavour of the cunth

http://time.com/5006345/what-is-vocal-fry/

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    flavour of the cunth

:D
    Might need to use that one.

. No one has ever used it in the other way in Ireland.

What a ridiculous statement.
    It's used on menus all the time, I use it this was, I've heard lots of people use it this way. You seem to think that because you don't use a term, nobody does. What a staggeringly insular way to be.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Vocal Fry. Epidemic since the ****ing Kardashians became flavour of the cunth

http://time.com/5006345/what-is-vocal-fry/

"If it turns out young people really are using vocal fry more than their predecessors, that speech characteristic may soon be the rule, not the exception."

:(

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I would have also been of that opinion until I met my wife, who's from Cork. Apparently it's pretty much the Cork/Kerry equivalent of "ma" in Dublin and its use is widespread down there. However the reason for it has nothing to do with American TV, it's from the Irish "mam", which is pronounced "mom". So the yanks probably stole or from us rather than the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Store store store

It's SHOP you imbecile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Guilty as sin.
    I call my best friend dude and tell the child she has to be super good. However, I draw the line at I could care less.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think this guy is suffering from that one. Listen after 55 seconds.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

vicwatson wrote: »
    Store store store

It's SHOP you imbecile

Homeshop and More just doesn't have the same ring to it. :pac:

• Advertisement

To answer the thread question- not guilty, except when being ironic. Which, when I think about, is a lot. Like, I mean, a lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The interior 'streets' in a shopping centre are called malls, e.g the Swan Centre in Rathmines has Dome Mall, Rathmines Mall, Town Hall Mall, Castlewood Mall and The Gallery and the centre dates from the mid-1980s.
    car
    Auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I can live with the Americanisms. It's people speaking with phoney American accents that gets to me.

I'm probably guilty of using dude and man too much but I remember this being pointed out to me over 20 years ago, so it's not a new thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Zaph wrote: »
    I would have also been of that opinion until I met my wife, who's from Cork. Apparently it's pretty much the Cork/Kerry equivalent of "ma" in Dublin and its use is widespread down there. However the reason for it has nothing to do with American TV, it's from the Irish "mam", which is pronounced "mom". So the yanks probably stole or from us rather than the other way round.
    I have heard this every time this comes up Z, though sometimes it's Kerry. However find me any audio or video on the interwebs pre the mid 90's where any Irish person uses "Mom" speaking english. But let's say that's the case and it's from the Irish(though it always sounded like a broader Ahh sound to me:confused: and where we get the very Irish "mam") and a south west thing, it sure as night follows day wasn't an east coast/Dublin thing Z, yet it's endemic nowadays.

The whole Yank accent thing started back in the late 90's more with young women as these things tend do(as women have a generally better ear for them and languages) and some of them now sound like nasal valley girls. Tends to be more a middle class thing too. Just like the Dort accent before it where they more aped a received British accent.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have heard this every time this comes up Z, though sometimes it's Kerry. However find me any audio or video on the interwebs pre the mid 90's where any Irish person uses "Mom" speaking english. But let's say that's the case and it's from the Irish(though it always sounded like a broader Ahh sound to me:confused: and where we get the very Irish "mam") and a south west thing, it sure as night follows day wasn't an east coast/Dublin thing Z, yet it's endemic nowadays.

The whole Yank accent thing started back in the late 90's more with young women as these things tend do(as women have a generally better ear for them and languages) and some of them now sound like nasal valley girls. Tends to be more a middle class thing too. Just like the Dort accent before it where they more aped a received British accent.

I grew up in Cork in the 70s and 80s and my mum was always called mom.

We probably would have referred to her as mum but addressed her as mom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Is "mam" not pronounced as "mam" in Ireland any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have to hold my hands up here because, having been working for and with the Yankistanis for the last 25 years or so, many Americanisms - subtle and not-quite-so-subtle - have crept into my mode of speech. Having learnt the alphabet by watching Sesame Street when I was three or four doesn't alleviate this either. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Irish love parroting Americanisms and idioms - a few are okay as they sound good - the exclamation
    "Gordon Bennett!" being a good one but for the most part it's really fingernails down the blackboard whiteboard to my ears esp when it turns standard use of the language on it's head - as in "can I get a BTL with no mayo" when of course you are making a polite request which someone else will carry out. If you got a BTL with no mayo you'd be told to get back on the other side of the shop counter PDQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know, right?

I hear girls on the Dorsch sometimes that sound like they're straight outta the OC. If my daughter started talking like that I'd send her to a convent for penance.

I know, right?

I hear girls on the Dorsch sometimes that sound like they're straight outta the OC. If my daughter started talking like that I'd send her to a convent for penance.

They view their own culture as inferior so they ape a trendy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

That's interesting, I didn't know that. I did have an ex with ties to that part of the country (father was Kerry) who referred to her mother as 'mom' which I personally found grating but I suppose that explains that.

I'm from Mayo though and I've heard a lot of folk use that term there and indeed throughout much of the country.

The Irish love parroting Americanisms and idioms - a few are okay as they sound good - the exclamation
    "Gordon Bennett!" being a good one but for the most part it's really fingernails down the blackboard whiteboard to my ears esp when it turns standard use of the language on it's head - as in "can I get a BTL with no mayo" when of course you are making a polite request which someone else will carry out. If you got a BTL with no mayo you'd be told to get back on the other side of the shop counter PDQ

Is 'Gordon Bennett' not a cockney thing?

It's used on menus all the time, I use it this was, I've heard lots of people use it this way. You seem to think that because you don't use a term, nobody does. What a staggeringly insular way to be.

What a staggeringly contrary way to be. You might need a holiday. May I suggest Asia, they do a great slaw.

The "slaw" element of the word coleslaw derives from "sla", is the Dutch word for salad or, depending on context, lettuce. I personally also find it pretentious and irritating the way certain trendy types insist on replacing the perfectly serviceable and descriptive "salad" with it.

They view their own culture as inferior so they ape a trendy one.

...And I believed that my stumble
    Had the poise and stride of Apollo
    And his voice my thick-tongued mumble.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can live with the Americanisms. It's people speaking with phoney American accents that gets to me.

Ah it's not just me then. It seems to the majority of people under the age of 25 or so. Girls seem to be more prone to it than the lads too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Yee haaawww, darn tootin we is copying them motherf*ckers for da east to da west side. I hope we don't get afflicted with consumption. Let me put on my fanny pack and we are all set.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Yee haaawww, darn tootin we is copying them motherf*ckers for da east to da west side. I hope we don't get afflicted with consumption. Let me put on my fanny pack and we are all set.

Yes, I too am quite at home with the Downeys. The drive-by patio-admirings are getting ridiculous around hereabouts but, consarnit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Thanks for the unnecessary and uninvited lesson but I was referring to people using it as short for coleslaw. No one has ever used it in the other way in Ireland.

No one in America calls coleslaw "slaw" though. It's always coleslaw. Then theres broccoli/apple/loads of other types of slaw. So calling it that isn't an Americanism , more like a try hard attempt at one.

I know, right?...

"Right" is a Newfoundland thing. We have a Newfie here in the office. He tells me a typical conversation back home would go "So I go to the store, right? I need to get some .243 Winchester for the rifle, right? And some beans. Because these Polar bears, are getting ridiculous. Right??" :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement