Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parapet or gutter along boundary wall

• 24-05-2019 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Quick one, small bit of a situation between architect, builder and myself.

Kitchen extension designed with a parapet on the adjoining neighbour's side. Wall being built and builder asked would I prefer gutter out of consideration to neighbour's conservatory. I would of course if feasible. It already extends out a good bit past their conservatory so is going to cut off some light that way. I'd rather not go up higher than I have to on them.

Architect can't see it working and thinks parapet way to go to be safe down the line. Builder going to measure it again later and we'll have to make a decision. I told builder I'd need assurances that overhang and gutter will be 100% on my split of boundary wall.

Few pics there. Any thoughts or opinions from a neutral party?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

that's the boundary wall with the cable running along the top of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

podge018 wrote: »
    Quick one, small bit of a situation between architect, builder and myself.

Kitchen extension designed with a parapet on the adjoining neighbour's side. Wall being built and builder asked would I prefer gutter out of consideration to neighbour's conservatory. I would of course if feasible. It already extends out a good bit past their conservatory so is going to cut off some light that way. I'd rather not go up higher than I have to on them.

Architect can't see it working and thinks parapet way to go to be safe down the line. Builder going to measure it again later and we'll have to make a decision. I told builder I'd need assurances that overhang and gutter will be 100% on my split of boundary wall.

Few pics there. Any thoughts or opinions for a neutral party?

Is your Architect KM?
    Parapet all day long. Will rule out access for maintenance in the future. You can do it all from your roof within your own boundary.

I also wouldn't be happy with cavity blocks only for the fact that the new wall is inside your boundary wall, so this wall should never be used in the future as the party wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya parapet is the solution surely.
    How in the name of Jesus are hollow block walls still being used.

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya parapet is the solution surely.
    How in the name of Jesus are hollow block walls still being used.

Quicker to lay = cheaper for the builder.
    Most builders will use unless you specifically tell them what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Around mayo, we have been using cavity walls for sheds for the last 15 years purely due to water penetration issues with those blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Parapet 100%
    how will it be rendered?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Parapet.

Edit: I’d discuss with arch filling the cavity (between boundary & cavity block) with vermiculite or suitable fire resistant insulation.

BryanF wrote: »
    Parapet.

Edit: I’d discuss with arch filling the cavity (between boundary & cavity block) with vermiculite or suitable fire resistant insulation.

+1

Thanks for replies. Can I ask why the definitive parapet replies?

Builder measured and there’s between 225mm and 245mm to boundary (which isn’t straight clearly). He says overhang and gutter = 170mm, so plenty to spare there.

He doesn’t care either way and isn’t pushing it. It’s my consideration for their light and the next 20 years of cordiality.

Is access to gutter the reason?

Explain it to a thicko, thanks.

Thanks for replies. Can I ask why the definitive parapet replies?

Builder measured and there’s between 225mm and 245mm to boundary (which isn’t straight clearly). He says overhang and gutter = 170mm, so plenty to spare there.

He doesn’t care either way and isn’t pushing it. It’s my consideration for their light and the next 20 years of cordiality.

Is access to gutter the reason?

Explain it to a thicko, thanks.

Access to the gutter.
    Cleaning, repair and maintenance.
    Replacement.
    What of the neighbor or the next owner builds an extension and then it becomes too tight to fit down there.
    No messing with any chance of over sailing issues.
    All your works and all your drainage kept on your side.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I suppose I see it now and I’ll go that route.

Is there a minimum parapet height? And does the design go beyond this? I’ve annoyed my arch enough today.

Cheers, I suppose I see it now and I’ll go that route.

Is there a minimum parapet height? And does the design go beyond this? I’ve annoyed my arch enough today.

Once it’s not a party wall (which yours is not) then there’s no minimum height. Just enough to get the flashing and gutter detail done correctly.

If it was a party wall then there’s a min height for fire regs but you need not to worry about that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Check roof membrane warranty and read arch’s drawings for height of parapet - it’s probably matching the rear elevation?

Advertisement